IW STi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 893 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Re: 2014 DGM Sti- *IAG*KillerB*

I've had a couple get eaten by burrs on the crank timing gear. But agree it could be guides due to the noise. Don't overlook inspecting all of the idlers.

God I hate word suggestion on this IPad.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Did something break and cause the belt to tear apart?
Not sure yet, It was pretty late so we had to leave it in a parking lot :confused:

That sucks! From what I've seen on here and nabisco, the squealing and the belt getting worn down really fast usually comes from the belt guides being too close to the belt, or the belt didn't sit on the pulleys the right way. I know you have to be cautious when setting the tolerance for the main belt guide.
I'm thinking it's the guides, we did set them to the tolerance recommended by Subaru, but I suppose we could have messed that up :rolleyes: or possibly one could have come loose. I think more than likely once came loose (if it is, in fact, the guides) The cut in the belt does coincide with the end of the guide (where it lines up with the belt). I have around 50 miles on the car now, so I figure this is a new development, as I would have smelled it earlier... maybe.

I've had a couple get eaten by burrs on the crank timing gear. But agree it could be guides due to the noise. Don't overlook inspecting all of the idlers.
Yeah, I'm really hoping it's the guides :crying:

Are those guides needed even? I feel like they are a bit over kill, but I don't know how prone to jumping teeth these setups are. I have the IAG one on top by the crank gear, and then the OEM outer guides as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

I think there is belt whip off throttle. Therefore I would keep them, just make sure they are properly adjusted.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #205

Well! I got lucky!

This little bolt got stuck between the timing belt and the timing belt guide. The thing that worries me is we don't know where it came from, none of the cover bolts were missing. I guess it's possible it fell down there before we put the motor in, and just kind of worked it's way into the belt. We even pulled the left side cam gears off to see if one of the bolts backed out.. nope -_-

Hopefully that's the last issue. Drove it to work this morning, and it did pretty good, ~70 miles now.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Great news, especially that it isn't more serious. Those particular bolts are used everywhere.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #207

Just over 170 miles now. Everything seems OK as far as I can tell.

I accidentally hit 5 PSI yesterday passing some old lady who forgot the speed limit, and other things I'm sure. :eek:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

That's a good question, I feel like it's 1k for some reason. I need to re-look at the paper work -_-

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #212

You can get into boost, not a big issue. It's all about progressively working in the engine through more compression and load :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's what I've been trying. I figured hitting boost wouldn't have been a big issues yesterday... more will come soon too - I drive a lot.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #213

230 miles on her.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I should go to get the AC filled up? Subaru drained that.

Also - anyone selling some ID 1300's?:domo::domo:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #216

No A/C, racekor life.
Oh yeah. :lol: Never.

Why 1300?

Break-in is a bunch of BS...a properly built engine doesn't need it. Warm it up and seat the rings asap.
Well, I didn't wanna beat it up yet :crying: I didn't completely baby it, I just stayed out of boost for the first 50 miles.

End of May should be getting tuned by Junior.

I'm planning on doing the Cobb flex fuel(towards the end of the summer, as I'm literally broke as fuck - and I still need new tires.) and from what I've seen 1300's should be satisfactory even if I end up going to a new turbo next year.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

My 1000s will be up for sale shortly...I had 1300s to replace but I ended up going to 1700s since I will be upgrading turbo, fmic, etc with a closed deck on E85.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #218

My 1000s will be up for sale shortly...I had 1300s to replace but I ended up going to 1700s since I will be upgrading turbo, fmic, etc with a closed deck on E85.
I thought about going bigger, but I feel like 1300 would be good. I'll ask Jr. when he tunes the car on pump in May.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

FYI, he was the one that tuned my car when it first blew up. He put very little effort into tuning--goes for the "big hp" but takes no time where you actually drive the car day to day. My A/F ratios were ALL over the place (ST/LT Fuel Trims were all over the place, too). No support after the tune, either.

P&L's response afterwards was, "Hey, we'll sell you all the parts you need to fix your car!" Zero effs given...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #220

FYI, he was the one that tuned my car when it first blew up. He put very little effort into tuning--goes for the "big hp" but takes no time where you actually drive the car day to day. My A/F ratios were ALL over the place (ST/LT Fuel Trims were all over the place, too). No support after the tune, either.

P&L's response afterwards was, "Hey, we'll sell you all the parts you need to fix your car!" Zero effs given...
:scurred:

201 - 220 of 893 Posts