IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yep its smart to have a pace and add upgrades when you can.
Yeah definitely. My plan by the end of the year is to have up pipe, headers, methanol, fuel pump, injectors, and tune. Then probably just wait it out and enjoy the power until I'm ready for more a few years later or whatever. Then do turbo, forged internals, front mount, and other assorted goodies. But I guess it really is just dependent on a consultation with IAG and a build plan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Yeah definitely. My plan by the end of the year is to have up pipe, headers, methanol, fuel pump, injectors, and tune. Then probably just wait it out and enjoy the power until I'm ready for more a few years later or whatever. Then do turbo, forged internals, front mount, and other assorted goodies. But I guess it really is just dependent on a consultation with IAG and a build plan.

Honestly a stock location turbo helps reduce turbo lag. So does a top mount. My car is totally tame before 4500 rpm. I would look hard at a stock location knowing what I know now. They drive like a different car without the lag.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Honestly a stock location turbo helps reduce turbo lag. So does a top mount. My car is totally tame before 4500 rpm. I would look hard at a stock location knowing what I know now. They drive like a different car without the lag.
Stock location actually has more lag due to

1. A more circuitous route for the air to get into the turbo with the 90 degree bend in the intake tract.

2. Limited to running a 3" diameter intake whereas a rotated turbo can fit a huge 4" diameter intake.

Despite this you don't feel the lag on the stock setup because the turbo is tiny and you have the TMIC. To reduce lag on your setup I would recommend:

1. Downsizing to a GTX3076 which spools faster than a GT30R but you'll lose 20-30whp up top. You'll get 200-300rpm of spool back.

2. Changing out the IM for stock or Cosworth. From the looks of it, Process West IM and its runners are massive which is great for top end/high boost but it will hurt your low end and also given its size, you won't be able to flip it and keep the A/C. With a Cosworth IM, you'll gain some mid range back and it won't hurt top end that much plus you can flip it and still retain AC.

3. A more radical choice would be to go with a Spearco TMIC but then you have to reverse the configuration of your intercooler piping. Other downsides include bad heatsoak while idling, the TMIC's close proximity to the sweltering heat emitted by the turbo and engine, and inability to fully cool the intake charge from the massive GTX35 compressor. It can be done with a rotated kit:

4. Nitrous spool-up kit, planky90 is going to run it with his GTX42R :devil: Lots of work though but zero lag.

5. Get Hydra ECU and run anti-lag :devil:

6. Driver mod (what I recommend ;) ). Learn to launch the car safely so you have zero lag off the line. Brake boost while on a roll to spool the turbo up if you are doing highway pulls. Learn the gearing so you are in the optimal range of the powerband at whichever mph. Learn left foot braking so you can keep the turbo spooled up with the right foot and roll into the accelerator pedal earlier coming out of the apex since the left foot is doing all the braking.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts

The only 2 regrets I have looking back on my progression is not maxing out the longblock while I had everything apart. You are bound to want more power sooner or later. In particular I would have gotten the Manley Turbo Tuff I-beams instead of the H-beams. I would have definitely got the ARP 625 Age headstuds which are a step above the ARP head studs I have; unfortunately the 625 headstuds were not released when my longblock was assembled :(
Go big so you only have to do it once and not backtrack ;)

EDIT: You don't have to reverse the IC piping if you get a Spearco TMIC b/c there is no piping lol, mistake in post above....

·
Registered
785 Posts
lol you guys are killing me here. I'm gonna have to seriously sit down and evaluate what it is thats practical for me and what makes sense money wise also. I'm all about doing it right the first time and i wanna enjoy the power being made for a long time to come. When i'm ready for that step I'll be posting up what it is i'm looking to do on here and also consulting with IAG and see what they recommend. Money is not limitless for me, but I can swing a good project :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The only 2 regrets I have looking back on my progression is not maxing out the longblock while I had everything apart. You are bound to want more power sooner or later. In particular I would have gotten the Manley Turbo Tuff I-beams instead of the H-beams. I would have definitely got the ARP 625 Age headstuds which are a step above the ARP head studs I have; unfortunately the 625 headstuds were not released when my longblock was assembled :(
Go big so you only have to do it once and not backtrack ;)

EDIT: You don't have to reverse the IC piping if you get a Spearco TMIC b/c there is no piping lol, mistake in post above....
Awesome response!

Dont get me wrong. I love my turbo lag and im all about the driver mod. Since i get asked alot of questions regarding future builds i like to say dont be to quick to spend money on a rotated kit. Stock location typically means a smaller turbo = good power, less lag , less money. If you have the cash though your probably gonna go rotated .

Cosworth IM seems hard to find lately. I would have gone that route but i couldn't find one. I do love the process west however, it really joins the party top end.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
lol you guys are killing me here. I'm gonna have to seriously sit down and evaluate what it is thats practical for me and what makes sense money wise also. I'm all about doing it right the first time and i wanna enjoy the power being made for a long time to come. When i'm ready for that step I'll be posting up what it is i'm looking to do on here and also consulting with IAG and see what they recommend. Money is not limitless for me, but I can swing a good project :)
Yep it takes time. When your ready IAG will do it right.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Subie411 Im under the impression if you had to do it all over again you would have left the STI alone and enjoy it for what it is and invested in a different motor all together to make+500hp?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Subie411 Im under the impression if you had to do it all over again you would have left the STI alone and enjoy it for what it is and invested in a different motor all together to make+500hp?

Nope .. I would have done it all the same. Having a blast with this ride.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
For a hardcore modder, arguably, there is no other car out there for under $35K brand new, that provides a platform that the STi does:

1. Ability to put all the power down in any weather - rules out FWD and RWD.

2. Ridiculously strong, stock drivetrain with the 6spd transmission able to handle 1000HP and 3 differentials.

3. Relatively cheap to mod, maintain, and repair even when heavily modded - rules out Euro platforms.

I've been looking at modding my 911 turbo in the future when I decide to buy it and it is nowhere near of a reasonable platform to mod on as an STi. In particular, the OEM LSD is optional and it is extremely weak so any power increase necessitates getting a new LSD or else you'll fishtail everywhere. The Metzger GT1 engine is like $25k brand new if I do blow the motor :lol:

Of course another AWD turbo contender is the GTR, however, the GTR rods can only handle 600wtq if you decide to go crazy with modding. Therefore you are forced to build the motor which is $$$$$ and the transmission which is $$$$$$$.... plus it is auto :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
for a hardcore modder, arguably, there is no other car out there for under $35k brand new, that provides a platform that the sti does:

1. Ability to put all the power down in any weather - rules out fwd and rwd.

2. Ridiculously strong, stock drivetrain with the 6spd transmission able to handle 1000hp and 3 differentials.

3. Relatively cheap to mod, maintain, and repair even when heavily modded - rules out euro platforms.

I've been looking at modding my 911 turbo in the future when i decide to buy it and it is nowhere near of a reasonable platform to mod on as an sti. In particular, the oem lsd is optional and it is extremely weak so any power increase necessitates getting a new lsd or else you'll fishtail everywhere. The metzger gt1 engine is like $25k brand new if i do blow the motor :lol:

Of course another awd turbo contender is the gtr, however, the gtr rods can only handle 600wtq if you decide to go crazy with modding. Therefore you are forced to build the motor which is $$$$$ and the transmission which is $$$$$$$.... Plus it is auto :(
truth!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
For a hardcore modder, arguably, there is no other car out there for under $35K brand new, that provides a platform that the STi does:

2. Ridiculously strong, stock drivetrain with the 6spd transmission able to handle 1000HP and 3 differentials.

3. Relatively cheap to mod, maintain, and repair even when heavily modded - rules out Euro platforms.

I've been looking at modding my 911 turbo in the future when I decide to buy it and it is nowhere near of a reasonable platform to mod on as an STi. In particular, the OEM LSD is optional and it is extremely weak so any power increase necessitates getting a new LSD or else you'll fishtail everywhere. The Metzger GT1 engine is like $25k brand new if I do blow the motor :lol:

Of course another AWD turbo contender is the GTR, however, the GTR rods can only handle 600wtq if you decide to go crazy with modding. Therefore you are forced to build the motor which is $$$$$ and the transmission which is $$$$$$$.... plus it is auto :(

LOL I still only have 1,280 miles on my ride... I dd a Land Rover.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Only 1280 miles!!!! Get your *** behind that steering wheel and report back with epic updates!

Spring time ... Spring time :)

I have Coil Overs , front / rear sway bars and front / rear struts towers to install.

Additionally, I am getting my headlights done by light Werkz and then... I will be good to go.

Having alot of fun with my son working on the car.

Car screams with the new meth kit. I will post a vid once the weather is a little better.

·
Registered
140 Posts

I can agree with this post. The STi is a very inexpensive car to modify compared to whats out there. Your 911 TT or a R35 get pricey FAST when you start to play with them.

I own an R35 myself and anything more than 600 wtq and your flirting with detonation. They are very fun cars to dive still, even with the twin clutch paddle shift.

I am thinking I would like a 450 awhp set up on the STI now... you guys are a bad influence LOL :)

BTW subie411, beautiful car! :tup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I can agree with this post. The STi is a very inexpensive car to modify compared to whats out there. Your 911 TT or a R35 get pricey FAST when you start to play with them.

I own an R35 myself and anything more than 600 wtq and your flirting with detonation. They are very fun cars to dive still, even with the twin clutch paddle shift.

I am thinking I would like a 450 awhp set up on the STI now... you guys are a bad influence LOL :)

BTW subie411, beautiful car! :tup:
Thanks! Getting my Lightwerkz headlights back soon. Will post up some pics soon :)

61 - 80 of 87 Posts