IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just yesterday, I picked up my new Launch Edition STi. It's even more awesome than I had hoped. I had had a 2013 STi Hatchback and prior to purchasing the 2015, was very curious as to what the differences would be and thinking others may have the same question, I'll list what I've found so far.

- The steering is heavier...it finally feels like a sports car. Also, when turning, to make a 90 degree turn without removing your hands, you no longer have to have your hands completely cross over.

- Everything that you touch has been improved, thus the interior feels less chimpsy
-- The wheel is just plain awesome
-- The handbrake now makes soft clicks when you pull, not a roar of metal clinks
-- the dash is now like a rubbery (tougher?) material that feels nicer and stronger

- The seats are perfect. They hug you veeerrry well, but not to the point where they'd be uncomfortable on longer rides

- The clutch is noticeable softer. It feels much less springy and is much lighter. My 2013 felt like it was much harder to depress the clutch and when you began re-applying it, it pushed back pretty hard. Also, the distance you have move to fully engage and disengage the clutch seems to have been shortened...when I first pressed it, the first thing I noticed was how quickly I had pushed it to the floor. It does make the car considerably easier to drive.

- The short throw is very...short. Other drivers explained the shifter as notchy, and that's really the best way to describe it. It almost doesn't even feel mechanical anymore...it's so light and the amount of movement is tiny. That coupled with the light clutch pedal...it almost feels like a video game...but in a good way (it's just easier to drive).

- The shift knob. This will likely be the first thing to change in the car...I'm not really a fan, it just feels a little weird.

- Less rattles. I had rattles from the beginning with my 2013, so far none with the 2015 (although who knows what could happen in the next few months)

- Sound system seems pretty good. I mean it's no home entertainment system, but it's pretty nice. (I have the stock sound system)

- The exhaust note. Beautiful, but not perfect. I would still like it a little louder with more defined burbles, but I certainly can't complain with the stock exhaust...it sounds veeery similar to the SPT exhaust I almost put on my 2013.

- Sound generator. I have mixed feelings so far. It does sound pretty good, but it also sounds like it's only on the right side of the driver, which feels a little weird. (yes, feels, you can feel the difference on either side of you if that makes any sense)

- Bumps on the road. It definitely takes bumps a little better. While the car does feel stiffer and sharper, it also, somehow, manages to make bumps feel a little less awful.

- Engine. Definitely peppier. The difference in throttle response is noticeable.

- The transmission does seem have been changed. I used to coast at 40mph in 5th gear and that would have me just below 2k rpms. With the 2015, at 40mph I'm at 2k rpm in 4th. Also the gap between 1st and 2nd is much less awkward. Especially while autocrossing, hitting that 1st to 2nd gear change and doing it smoothly is not something that was simple, you had to really think about it and work the gas and clutch perfectly. Now, while I haven't autocrossed it yet, just the daily drive is much easier and smoother.

Having only drove a for a short while, this is all I have for now. More to come as I learn more!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd completely disagree with the seat comment. I think (along with most reviewers) they're pretty bad; the politically correct term being, "leaves some to be desired".

The padding seems spongy and unnecessarily bouncy, the bolstering sucks if your waist size <34, I move like 3 inches side-to-side during hard cornering, and I'll be swapping to a fixed-back racing seat by Recaro or Sparco as one of the first interior mods (the moment seat brackets become available for the '15's).

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
darn it you make me want to get a 2015 STI, LOL. Going to hold out another year to see if they give it a DIT engine.

The comment on the quicker steering rack: I've watched video of myself (2013 STI) and my buddy in his EVO X (same 13.0:1 steering ratio as 2015 STI) autocrossing. To take the same corners I'm flailing about crossing hand to hand on the steering wheel and he merely makes a small nudge here, and a small nudge there to make the same turns. LOL it's comical.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Completely agree, though I don't like the clutch feel much....the feeling of the clutch disappeared.....feel like the 14 WRX clutch. But everything else, godily awesome.

I also have to say how well they put this thing together, very attentions to details.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just yesterday, I picked up my new Launch Edition STi. It's even more awesome than I had hoped. I had had a 2013 STi Hatchback and prior to purchasing the 2015, was very curious as to what the differences would be and thinking others may have the same question, I'll list what I've found so far.

- The steering is heavier...it finally feels like a sports car. Also, when turning, to make a 90 degree turn without removing your hands, you no longer have to have your hands completely cross over.

- Everything that you touch has been improved, thus the interior feels less chimpsy
-- The handbrake now makes soft clicks when you pull, not a roar of metal clinks
-- the dash is now like a rubbery (tougher?) material that feels nicer and stronger

- The seats are perfect. They hug you veeerrry well, but not to the point where they'd be uncomfortable on longer rides

- The clutch is noticeable softer. It feels much less springy and is much lighter. My 2013 felt like it was much harder to depress the clutch and when you began re-applying it, it pushed back pretty hard. Also, the distance you have move to fully engage and disengage the clutch seems to have been shortened...when I first pressed it, the first thing I noticed was how quickly I had pushed it to the floor. It does make the car considerably easier to drive.

- The short throw is very...short. Other drivers explained the shifter as notchy, and that's really the best way to describe it. It almost doesn't even feel mechanical anymore...it's so light and the amount of movement is tiny. That coupled with the light clutch pedal...it almost feels like a video game...but in a good way (it's just easier to drive).

- The shift knob. This will likely be the first thing to change in the car...I'm not really a fan, it just feels a little weird.

- Less rattles. I had rattles from the beginning with my 2013, so far none with the 2015 (although who knows what could happen in the next few months)

- Sound system seems pretty good. I mean it's not home entertainment system, but it's pretty nice. (I have the stock sound system)

- The exhaust note. Beautiful, but not perfect. I would still like it a little louder with more defined burbles, but I certainly can't complain with the stock exhaust...it sounds veeery similar to the SPT exhaust I almost put on my 2013.

- Sound generator. I have mixed feelings so far. It does sound pretty good, but it also sounds like it's only on the right side of the driver, which feels a little weird. (yes, feels, you can feel the difference on either side of you if that makes any sense)

- Bumps on the road. It definitely takes bumps a little better. While the car does feel stiffer and sharper, it also, somehow, manages to make bumps feel a little less awful.

- Engine. Definitely peppier. The difference in throttle response is noticeable.

- The transmission does seem have been changed. I used to coast at 40mph in 5th gear and that would have me just below 2k rpms. With the 2015, at 40mph I'm at 2k rpm in 4th. Also the gap between 1st and 2nd is much less awkward. Especially while autocrossing, hitting that 1st to 2nd gear change and doing it smoothly is not something that was simple, you had to really think about it and work the gas and clutch perfectly. Now, while I haven't autocrossed it yet, just the daily drive is much easier and smoother.

Having only drove a for a short while, this is all I have for now. More to come as I learn more!
Nice list. FWIW, the gearing is identical according to the spec sheets, so I think you're mistaken on that one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Your correct about the sound generator being louder in the passenger seat. That's because it's piped behind the dash right behind the glove box basically.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice list. FWIW, the gearing is identical according to the spec sheets, so I think you're mistaken on that one.
I thought so, that's just what I noticed and I'm not sure how else that could be.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd also like to add this:
- Field of view is incredible. It wasn't bad in the previous generation, but especially with the mirrors moved, it's very easy to see where you are placing the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your correct about the sound generator being louder in the passenger seat. That's because it's piped behind the dash right behind the glove box basically.
Do you hear a very slight rattle coming from the sound generator when you get to about 3k rpm?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd completely disagree with the seat comment. I think (along with most reviewers) they're pretty bad; the politically correct term being, "leaves some to be desired".

The padding seems spongy and unnecessarily bouncy, the bolstering sucks if your waist size <34, I move like 3 inches side-to-side during hard cornering, and I'll be swapping to a fixed-back racing seat by Recaro or Sparco as one of the first interior mods (the moment seat brackets become available for the '15's).
I haven't started pushing it yet, so I may agree with you when I do. I thought the seats on my 2013 were pretty decent until I autocrossed it and found myself half driving, half trying to hang on.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just yesterday, I picked up my new Launch Edition STi. It's even more awesome than I had hoped. I had had a 2013 STi Hatchback and prior to purchasing the 2015, was very curious as to what the differences would be and thinking others may have the same question, I'll list what I've found so far. Got my 2015 limited 3 weeks ago, my notes in comparison to my GR I LOOOVE the new car, but some notes below

- The steering is heavier...it finally feels like a sports car. Also, when turning, to make a 90 degree turn without removing your hands, you no longer have to have your hands completely cross over. Completely agree with you on this one, but not a surprise, we already learned from specs that the lock to lock was shortened

- Everything that you touch has been improved, thus the interior feels less chimpsy Agree on all three, again no surprises here

- The seats are perfect. They hug you veeerrry well, but not to the point where they'd be uncomfortable on longer rides I think the seat LOOKS cooler, but really loved the molded one piece seat for back comfort in the GR, though love the bigger side bolsters on 15

- The clutch is noticeable softer. It feels much less springy and is much lighter. My 2013 felt like it was much harder to depress the clutch and when you began re-applying it, it pushed back pretty hard. Also, the distance you have move to fully engage and disengage the clutch seems to have been shortened...when I first pressed it, the first thing I noticed was how quickly I had pushed it to the floor. It does make the car considerably easier to drive. This is where I disagree with you, yes the take up and engagement is way shorter, but i HATE it. very hard to get a smooth launch relative to GR. I have to put in intelligent all the time cuz the new throttle map in combination with clutch makes it harder to be perfect vs GR

- The short throw is very...short. Other drivers explained the shifter as notchy, and that's really the best way to describe it. It almost doesn't even feel mechanical anymore...it's so light and the amount of movement is tiny. That coupled with the light clutch pedal...it almost feels like a video game...but in a good way (it's just easier to drive). Love the short throw, slightly shorter than GR, but hope the notchiness smoothes a little

- The shift knob. This will likely be the first thing to change in the car...I'm not really a fan, it just feels a little weird. I like it

- Less rattles. I had rattles from the beginning with my 2013, so far none with the 2015 (although who knows what could happen in the next few months) Agree, so far, my GR had many over time, but none in month one

- Sound system seems pretty good. I mean it's no home entertainment system, but it's pretty nice. (I have the stock sound system) I'm admitedly an audiophile, but i have the upgraded HK unit and it's d+ at best...can't wait to swap out

- The exhaust note. Beautiful, but not perfect. I would still like it a little louder with more defined burbles, but I certainly can't complain with the stock exhaust...it sounds veeery similar to the SPT exhaust I almost put on my 2013. Fine for stock.

- Sound generator. I have mixed feelings so far. It does sound pretty good, but it also sounds like it's only on the right side of the driver, which feels a little weird. (yes, feels, you can feel the difference on either side of you if that makes any sense) Agree with you, mixed feelings so far.

- Bumps on the road. It definitely takes bumps a little better. While the car does feel stiffer and sharper, it also, somehow, manages to make bumps feel a little less awful. I'd say it is stiffer, more composed but no less compliant

- Engine. Definitely peppier. The difference in throttle response is noticeable. Completely disagree on peppier. It is identical in power. yes the throttle map is changed, meaning 50% down on throttle on 15 is like 80% down on throttle in GR, but doesn't mean that the 100%s on both are different.

- The transmission does seem have been changed. I used to coast at 40mph in 5th gear and that would have me just below 2k rpms. With the 2015, at 40mph I'm at 2k rpm in 4th. Also the gap between 1st and 2nd is much less awkward. Especially while autocrossing, hitting that 1st to 2nd gear change and doing it smoothly is not something that was simple, you had to really think about it and work the gas and clutch perfectly. Now, while I haven't autocrossed it yet, just the daily drive is much easier and smoother. Disagree, i think the sweet spot combination of throttle map and clutch take up is harder to perfect.

Great write up, we both love our cars, just a couple of minor disagreements

1 - 11 of 11 Posts