IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So the journey begins...

This is my first Subaru however I have a relatively long obsession with cars.

The basic rundown of vehicles of interest:

2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i - Turned into a pile of plastic and metal....not my finest day.
2003 Mazda 6 - Actually a great car...traded it in for the Dodge.
2003 Suzuki GSXR-1000 - Gone. Almost everything had been replaced due to pushing a little too hard one time or another.

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T - LOVED this vehicle...nothing better than putting someone to shame in a station wagon. Did a decent amount of work on it. I am of the belief of more go, less show. I did some apperance enhancements but more power was always priority number one. This was however abrutely ended by some clown wrecking into us on the freeway.

2009 Nissan Maxima - thought I liked this car...CVT seems nice initially but ended up hating this car. Ended up giving to my mother-in-law and received a 2000 Acura TL as a consolation prize which worked well for a daily driver.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 - Gone. Replaced it with a diesel Grand Cherokee.

2013 Ford Explorer - The official child hauler. Drive this once in a blue moon as it is the wife's vehicle, not really my thing.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel- My daily driver. I love the fact that I can say getting 24 MPG is during the crappy months on #2 diesel. It has all the creature comforts but I still prefer the STi.

And now to my prized possession....

2012 STi hatch in WRB - I LOVE MY CAR:D. Ordered it on 4/24/12 and showed up on 6/28/12. Got to pick it up on 6/29. I installed my P&L catback the next morning. Waiting on the AP until I finish the break-in period.

(Crappy cellphone picture)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Modifications

Current Modifications:

Installed
Pending - In Garage/On Order
Removed

Power:

Blouch DOM 2.5 XT-R with 10cm² hotside
1000cc ID Injectors...hello corn juice tumblr_static_wfahdvo6qrk08kk8k0c00wcw.gif
1700cc ID Injectors
DW65c Fuel Pump
Walbro 450 / Radium Engineering pump hanger
DCCDPro FuelPro fuel pump controller
GS PnP Headers with hiflow X-pipe and Up-pipe
Killer B Holy Header with EWG
Tial 38mm EWG
IAG IWG Bracket
GS PnP Intake Manifold
IAG TGV Deletes
GS TMIC
IAG Parallel rails with Aeromotive FPR
P&L Downpipe
Corsa Catback Exhaust
Perrin Turbo inlet
GS EBCS
Koyo Radiator w/ black Samco Hoses
Cobb Accessport v3 with EFI Logics Protune
IAG Air Oil Separator
Air pump Delete
Omni 4-bar MAP sensor
Stainless AVCS/Turbo lines

Removed

P&L Catback Exhaust
Gimmick Turbo Inlet
Moroso Dual Catch Cans

Interior:

DAMD D shaped steering wheel (this thing is amazing)
Overland Designs GT3 style door pulls
Overland Designs covered sunvisors
Overland Designs covered shifter and cupholder section
Overland Designs shifter boot and e-brake boot
SMY Cluster with AEM Oil Pressure and AFR
Solidmod vent gauge pod with Zeitronix Ethanol content
WC Lathe Werks Shift knob and reverse ring - Gunmetal

Exterior:

Prolightz custom retrofit (Bi-Xenon low beam/painted shrouds/LED true high beam) (SOOO worth the upgrade..amazing light output):tup::tup::tup:
Morimoto LED foglights with Prolightz DRL/Fog harness (SOO Bright..it is amazing)
Rallyarmour mudflaps - Black/Blue Writing
Grimmspeed license plate relocator
Perrin Crank Pulley (Kinda helps rev's but seems to be more for looks)
Perrin Radiator and Alternator Shroud (going to get rid of the red alternator cover)
IAG Dipstick (Black)
IAG Oil Fill Cap (Black)
IAG Washer Fluid Cap (Black)
IAG Coolant Overflow Cap (Black)
IAG Power Steering Cap (Black)
IAG Master Cylinder Cap (Black)
IAG Clutch Reservoir Cap (Black)
IAG Radiator Stays (Black)
Invisible Film Rear bumper protection - Decided the Subaru plastic one was not fitting for an STi
Painted tails
Summer - 18x10 Volk ZE40s (Bronze) with Michelin PSS 275/35
Winter - 18x8.5 Stock BBS Wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak in stock size.

Removed

18x9.5 Rota GRID with Dunlop ZII 265/35

Suspension/Drivetrain:

RCE Tarmac 2's
RCE Front Adjustable Tophats
Group N Rear Tophats
SuperPro Roll Center Adjustment Kit
Voodoo 13 Rear Lower Control Arms
SuperPro Toe Arms
DSS CF Driveshaft :tup::tup:
Girodisc 2-piece Front and Rear Rotors with SS Pads
Goodridge Stealth SS Lines
Kartboy Shifter Bushings - Front and Rear
Cobb Short Throw Shifter
Whiteline Rear Diff Bushing Inserts
Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts
Whiteline Front and Rear 22mm Adjustable swaybars Look like garbage..SuperPros waiting...SOON
SuperPro Front endlinks
SuperPro Rear Endlinks
Cusco Steering Rack Brace
Cusco Rear LCA brace
SuperPro Steering Rack bushings
SuperPro Rear LCA Outer Bushing
Cusco Front Powerbrace
Cusco Type II Lower brace
Perrin Engine Mounts :tup:
Group-N Trans Mount
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

Removed

Whiteline Adjustable Front Endlinks

Parts waiting in the garage:

SMY Cluster with AEM AFR and Oil pressure gauges
Ethanol sensor and associated fittings (Sensor, Analyzer, and display)
Solidmod vent gaugepod (for E85 gauge)
Fuelab 3 inch 6 micron fuel filter

Killer B header with EWG
Tial 38mm EWG
DCCDPro FuelPro High Amp Fuel Pump Controller
Radium Engineering Fuel Hanger with Walbro 450...never going to run out of fuel....ever:lol:
Subaru Fuel level sender..can leave the OEM basket in 1 piece
ID 1700 cc Injectors

Circuit Motorsports clutch brace(black)
Goodridge SS clutch line

Dyno Runs

Stage 2(PnP Header, Turboback exhaust, 850cc Injectors) - 93 Octane

Stage 3 (Dom 2.5XT-R, PnP Intake, TGV Deletes, 1000cc Injectors) - E85 and 93 Octane

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Things to come

I figured I could make use of this post to document my planned path of upgrades. By all means feel free to comment and tell my if I should go down a different path.

I am all for saving money but I do not want to buy junk at the same time.

Planned Modifications

IAG Closed deck and heads - Overkill...absolutely but I am tired of buying everything twice. This is guaranteed to support anything I will ever do. I am strongly considering a GT-R as another toy but I will NOT get rid of the STi.

Rotated setup and FMIC - Not going to lie...haven't even pushed the 2.5XT-R but I already know I should have gone with a rotated 35R or something similar as well as a FMIC over TMIC. Under the hood is lacking room and getting messy....it's like this has happened before...multiple times

Cobb Flexfuel - No explanation needed really:lol:

Killer B Oil Pickup/Windage Tray/ Pan - This is a no-brainer in my book. Just reading what Killer B has documented and the glowing reviews everyone has I would be stupid not to. I plan to do this in the somewhat near future however in the mean time I am going to get my oil pressure gauge installed to monitor for indications of failure. This will be rectified if I get my engine build underway as well.

EWG tie-in to downpipe - I talked with IAG about some sort setup to replumb the EWG back into the downpipe. Ideally I would like a downpipe that has a removable cat (V-band) and just have 2 tunes that I can run depending on the fuel and what I am asking of the car. Ideally I would like to run it catless and on E85 (or flex fuel) at the track and then normal DD have it catted and run 93 since E85 isn't readily available(Or catted flex fuel). Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
P&L Catback Exhaust

All I can say is wow:eek:

I think they bubblewrap as a big joke on the buyer as it took forever to get it all off. I can't really complain as I could have tossed the box out on the freeway and I don't think anything would have happened to the exhaust.

After finally getting it unwrapped, this thing is like a work of art...All the welds are fantastic and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Taking the stock exhaust off was a piece of cake...I am amazed at how heavy the rear muffler piece is. I know where all the weight reduction happens at.

As for the sound, it is amazing...if you are a fan of the boxer rumble this exhaust is where it is at. It makes me want to cry that I have my break-in miles to finish since the car starts to get into boost and I have to shift :(

The wife is out of town with the good camera and cellphone video would be a shame so it will be a couple of weeks until I can get something added here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: P&L Catback Exhaust

All I can say is wow:eek:

I think they bubblewrap as a big joke on the buyer as it took forever to get it all off. I can't really complain as I could have tossed the box out on the freeway and I don't think anything would have happened to the exhaust.

After finally getting it unwrapped, this thing is like a work of art...All the welds are fantastic and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Once I get the car I will take more pictures and hopefully some crappy camera video...might have to invest in something better.
Nice!! I love my P&L set up. If you choose to add the down pipe and air intake the power gain at stage II is impressive.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: My 2012 WRB STi

Recent updates:

Had a somewhat warm day so I washed off the car and crawled underneath and installed the rear differential bushing inserts. This alone makes a huge change in the feel when letting on and off the throttle and especially getting into 1st gear when stopped.

I can't wait to find out what the subframe and transmission bushings / Group N transmission mount do.

Also ordered up some Rota DPT's in flat black today in preparation for decent weather. Decided that it is better to be ready for warm weather than be stuck on winter tires when it gets warm.

To go with the tires I have 4 more TPMS sensors and I ordered up a ATEQ Quickset. This will pay for itself since there will be no more trips to the dealer to reprogram the TPMS when I change tires.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Installed my new WC Lathe Werks burnt gunmetal stainless round shift knob and reverse ring. They look amazing.

Got in the car the other morning (21F outside) and they shifter definately lets you know its that cold.

Next up is getting my fenders rolled and tires mounted to my wheels and balanced in preparation for good weather. DPTs were the original order however they are out until April so I changed it to the GRIDs.

Picked up some custom made 5mm spacers with the 73mm outside and 56.1 inside bore to make sure the wheels are hubcentric. They are amazing looking and worth the money after seeing the generic spacers that I got. Talked to the guy making them and they were made and shipped the same day. (Wheeladapter.com)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Installed the DW65c fuel pump this afternoon. Talk about something relatively simple but a huge pain in the a**. An extra person would have made this 10x easier.

Picked up my wheels and tires from getting mounted / balanced. Too bad it snowed 6" last night so that definitely pushes off going to summer tires. Mounted the stock rubber and I hope to get 4 flats so I can change it to some 265/35/18 Dunlop Direzza II's. I am definitely not a fan of stretched rubber.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Installed the P&L downpipe a week ago...my gas mileage took a hit for obvious reasons.

Cruised to and from work today (75 miles round trip) and averaged about 23.5 MPG...I like this. I think the headers/up-pipe/injectors and intake to go with the Protune coming up will be a bulletproof Stage 2

·
Registered
251 Posts

Badass...I am waiting on my p&l quad tip exhaust I just bought off a member and will have everything to go to stage 2 myself...I will also be installing the AEM cai as well and be protuned by Mikey botti from phatbotti tuning

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Got the whole Grimmspeed exhaust up to the turbo en route....looks like another project for the weekend. Also have some Dunlop ZII's in the mail...can't wait.

I may have to move up my protune due to impatience

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Put some R205 badges on today....265/35-18 ZIIs tomorrow with a fender roll. Friday will have the PnP Grimmspeed exhaust and up-pipe going in with a little painted taillight action on the side.

Installed the SF intake the other day and will follow that up with the turbo inlet this week....come on EFI

More to follow

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Got the tires installed and fender roll done on Thursday.

Painted the tail lights this weekend

And installed these beauties today (I did DEI Titanium heatwrap on the up-pipe and x-pipe prior to install though)

EDIT: After getting my tune with Mikey Botti, he remarked on the earlier spool and it seems to have made the UEL header setup produce more torque than stock.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I actually just replaced my P&L exhaust for a Q300 earlier this week. The P&L is ridiculously loud but made the car sound so damn aggressive. But driving 500 miles a week with lots of stop/go traffic made my ears bleed. A few days of driving with the Q300 and it's almost stock sounding, not sure if that's a good thing or not lol.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I have been really lazy about updating my thread...going to have to keep things updated better. Too much valuable input can be had from this community.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: 2012 WRB STi - 300 whp but more to come.

Ordered up a IAG AOS today to replace my Moroso dual catch cans. After seeing the pictures floating around and seeing pictures installed I am sold. I also like the lack of maintenance required since I had to continuously check my catch cans. This will be installed at the same time as the turbo/TGV deletes/phenolic spacers and fuel rails since everything will be exposed.

Spent a lot of time researching carbon fiber driveshafts and have decided that the Driveshaft shop CF piece will be mine in the future. I can't stand the jerky feeling when going slow and in gear.

Next big items to research are clutch and to continue researching what internals will go into my built block.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Very nice update! CF drive shaft are a highly underrated mod, I'm assuming because of expense and that you don't see it. My new tune is more jerky at crawling sppeds than my last, which will be fixed on a fall retune, but the shaft makes a big difference.

Im curious to see your motor build plans. You're a step or two ahead of me, I'm wondering if we are headed down similar paths.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Very nice update! CF drive shaft are a highly underrated mod, I'm assuming because of expense and that you don't see it. My new tune is more jerky at crawling sppeds than my last, which will be fixed on a fall retune, but the shaft makes a big difference.

Im curious to see your motor build plans. You're a step or two ahead of me, I'm wondering if we are headed down similar paths.
If it is for more power...definately same path.:lol:

Your definately ahead of me on suspension upgrades, I am hesitant on what I want to do because of the nasty winters here and all the sand/salt. The car isn't my main vehicle in the winter but I still enjoy driving it when I can. Funny thing, I was looking at Overland Designs doing my headlights while I had the car torn apart. It looks like I am your WRB hatch twin.

Ideally i am just wanting reliable power. With the DOM 2.5, the current limiting factor is the stock block so i am going to go with a conservative tune.

Once the new block is in(probable upgraded heads too), the turbo will be the limiting factor. I just wish E85 was available in my area.

·
Registered
892 Posts

If it is for more power...definately same path.:lol:

Your definately ahead of me on suspension upgrades, I am hesitant on what I want to do because of the nasty winters here and all the sand/salt. The car isn't my main vehicle in the winter but I still enjoy driving it when I can. Funny thing, I was looking at Overland Designs doing my headlights while I had the car torn apart. It looks like I am your WRB hatch twin.

Ideally i am just wanting reliable power. With the DOM 2.5, the current limiting factor is the stock block so i am going to go with a conservative tune.

Once the new block is in(probable upgraded heads too), the turbo will be the limiting factor. I just wish E85 was available in my area.

Of course more power! My path is TBD, really just depends on when i'm ready to do it and what i can spend at that time. I still have dreams of a bit EFR twinscroll on a well built closed deck motor (or billet??). My mechanic floated the idea of doing a DOM 1.5 upgrade this fall when we do the injectors/TMIC but still on the stock block. Tempting but i'm not sure i want to spend ~$2k on something that will just be replaced again before too long.

The suspension stuff was my winter work and it came out great. I had similar concerns about the winter issues but said screw it, i'll just have to be really good about maintenance. It is well worth it, you'll see! Overland makes boots for the coilovers to keep out slush/salt as much as possible so i think i'll pick those up for the winter. Jason's light work is fantastic too.

E85 is a white whale in New England. There are like 2 places...

1 - 20 of 279 Posts