IW STi Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone for your input! I wish someone had told me, or my son had researched (technically, his car but I co-signed on the loan), about increasing the oil weight after the tune. I find it astonishing on this highly-modded vehicle that Subaru did not add an oil temp sensor into the stock mix for pennies sometime over the 17-year US domestic span. In three weeks a 2010 EJ25 with 20k miles will be swapped in, they may come over and let us do the clutch and steering rack for free. Recommendations on the new clutch, ACT or Exidy? Also, the shop will take my old engine and rebuild it, so I'll hopefully get a forensic (eventually) on what went so catastrophically wrong in a short period.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
An AOS Would not have solved this problem, as it sounds like it was driven pretty hard and likely consumed the oil.
Assuming the car had decent compression wouldn't consumed oil be via intake - exactly what an AOS attempts to prevent - that and running low on oil? Ofcourse in most cases, the latter can be prevent just by appropriate addition of oil.

Thanks everyone for your input! I wish someone had told me, or my son had researched (technically, his car but I co-signed on the loan), about increasing the oil weight after the tune. I find it astonishing on this highly-modded vehicle that Subaru did not add an oil temp sensor into the stock mix for pennies sometime over the 17-year US domestic span. In three weeks a 2010 EJ25 with 20k miles will be swapped in, they may come over and let us do the clutch and steering rack for free. Recommendations on the new clutch, ACT or Exidy? Also, the shop will take my old engine and rebuild it, so I'll hopefully get a forensic (eventually) on what went so catastrophically wrong in a short period.
1) Though I believe most here run 5W40 doing so is not a rule, and I don't believe many dealers would tell you to do it. On the other hand even a 2020 manual allows some leeway. Here's what they say about the 5w-30 they recommend

2) The car you describe would not be considered heavily modified here. It is basically stock.

3) Perhaps there is a recent change that I am unaware of, but in my lifetime few cars I know of come with oil temp sensors at all and most have inadequate oil pressure gauges. VWs apparently have better 2 stage sensors but they are known for failing and preventing the engine from running! It's wouldn't surprise me if some cars have more sophisticated sensors (yes that is required to be better), particularly higher end and real performance cars but I don't think most car do. I have even considered trying to market one for STIs.

4) Clutch: Excedy OEM or stage 1 for a basically stock car.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Out of oil. Smells like a zip disc cutting aluminium (I have heard). You can monitor the oil the level when you fill the fuel tank to prevent this issue.
Forged pistons OK with catch can. High tensile race forged pistons will use oil and must have a catch can.
40W oil to protect the big end when you increase power above factory specs. Fuel economy goes bad.
It makes a lot of weird noises. You can spend a lifetime tuning every single change.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Forged pistons OK with catch can. High tensile race forged pistons will use oil and must have a catch can.Fuel economy goes bad.
Mine uses very little, fractions of a qt @ 3+k oci. Course its always had an AOS. Perhaps it would consume oil without.
My milage isnt worse than stock if I only command stock Performance/behaviour, though I can half it for seconds here snd there.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts