IW STi Forum banner
281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
I also forgot I got a new truck back in August as Carvana gave me an amazing deal I couldn't pass up, but the dealership matched it.

2020 Silverado 1500 3.0L Diesel.

Love this thing, its night and day different compared to the old 5.3L Silverado I had.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Latest update.

its been 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I had everything together, and did a boost leak test only to find leaks at the TGVs. I went to tighten the bolts to make sure they were torqued to spec and the threads pulled out of the head

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
I pull everything, order a helicoil kit and drilled the thread, tap and helicoil.

reinstall and tighten everything to 18.4ft lbs, and the bolt threads next to this one pulled as well. At the same time, the shitty install tool sent to me by Helicoil broke.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
It's finally running. Got everything assembled after helicoiling all the TGV threads, and started it up. Had a minor fuel leak at the cobb Flex fuel sensor, but I heat cycled the coolant and added a bit. Went and got a car wash.

Looks much cooler backed in.

I still need to swap my winter tires for summers and then go do some logging.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Whats up IWSTI peeps

Car has been running great. I've put about 1000 miles on the new engine with only a couple minor issues. I had a weird oil pressure reading when the car was super hot.

You can see the oil temp behind it, sitting at about 200 degrees. This is measured in the oil-pan, but with this low of oil pressure the engine would be knocking.

I shut the car off, wait about 20 minutes and start it back up

Oil pressure is magically back up when oil temps drop ~10 degrees.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
I decided to hook up my mechanical oil pressure gauge, and go for a drive

Yes this is ghetto as hell but it works

Oil pressure never dropped below 20 psi at 200 degree oil temps. At 4000 RPMs the oil pressure was ~80 psi, so I think the Defi oil pressure sensor isn't accurate at all which is a little disappointing but the good news is the engine is healthy.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
After chatting with Jason, I decided to swap the EFR compressor cover from the EFR style to the SX-E style. This increases the turbo flow from 60lb a min, to ~66lb a min because the cover is more efficient.

Jason and I are planning on doing a back to back comparison here soon. I am going to hit the dyno again, and then on the dyno we're going to swap the compressor housing and see if we gain any power.

I also have to switch to Speed Density, so I installed my Tial BOV and GM IAT sensor. I'm just waiting for the MAF harness to come from Ballenger motorsports so I can wire it all up and get tuning on Speed Density.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I also forgot I got a new truck back in August as Carvana gave me an amazing deal I couldn't pass up, but the dealership matched it.

2020 Silverado 1500 3.0L Diesel.

Love this thing, its night and day different compared to the old 5.3L Silverado I had.
I actually did a lot of development work on the EGR system for this engine, while working for BorgWarner. We supply the LP EGR Cooler and valve, high pressure EGR valve, and exhaust throttle valve. Originally it was supposed to have "the works," including a HP EGR cooler and an additional low pressure valve, but they couldn't justify the cost/emissions improvement.

The engine was originally "developed" by FEV...and they basically copied the BMW 3.0L diesel, which is why it is as stout as it is.

Before I left BorgWarner, I completed all the engineering work for the next gen emissions, which was mostly carry-over with some tweaks...expect to see that release mid-2022 in the pickups (2023 in the SUVs).

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
I actually did a lot of development work on the EGR system for this engine, while working for BorgWarner. We supply the LP EGR Cooler and valve, high pressure EGR valve, and exhaust throttle valve. Originally it was supposed to have "the works," including a HP EGR cooler and an additional low pressure valve, but they couldn't justify the cost/emissions improvement.

The engine was originally "developed" by FEV...and they basically copied the BMW 3.0L diesel, which is why it is as stout as it is.

Before I left BorgWarner, I completed all the engineering work for the next gen emissions, which was mostly carry-over with some tweaks...expect to see that release mid-2022 in the pickups (2023 in the SUVs).
That's pretty interesting.

What turbo do these use? I was trying to find specs on it but only thing I could find was that its a single ball bearing turbo.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I believe it's Garrett but could be mistaken. Some of the GM development/sourcing was handled in North America, and some out of Turin, Italy (who I dealt with). I mention this, because its possible they would have sourced someone like IHI...

It's a VGT/VNT but I don't know anything beyond that.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
I believe it's Garrett but could be mistaken. Some of the GM development/sourcing was handled in North America, and some out of Turin, Italy (who I dealt with). I mention this, because its possible they would have sourced someone like IHI...

It's a VGT/VNT but I don't know anything beyond that.
Ah,

Thats still pretty cool you got to design some of it. You didn't design the DPF stuff did you? because if you did, I'm irritated with you haha.

I keep getting DPF sensor codes and the dealership has tried to fix it 6 times so far. but I still love the thing, gets 25-30 mpg unloaded all day. I've put over 20k miles on it in 1 year.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ah,

Thats still pretty cool you got to design some of it. You didn't design the DPF stuff did you? because if you did, I'm irritated with you haha.

I keep getting DPF sensor codes and the dealership has tried to fix it 6 times so far. but I still love the thing, gets 25-30 mpg unloaded all day. I've put over 20k miles on it in 1 year.
Nope, that, I believe, is Faurecia. I had no clue they even did aftertreatment devices...

When you get ETV/LP EGR faults, let me know :)... Quite a few palnt quality issues that bit us in the butt. That said, once youre past ~10k miles, you're likely in the clear. They were mostly infant failures.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Well, the SXE housing didn't disappoint.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

The solid line is the SXE housing at 26 psi, and the other line is the EFR housing at 26 psi. Same map, so the SXE housing is indeed more efficient than the EFR housing. Here's a bonus pic of me swapping it on the dyno

Trousers Tire Shoe Car Wheel

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Unfortunately, we started pushing coolant and really couldn't dial in the housing. We hadn't even started upping timing and noticed the coolant bottle was full. I think this was due to me using JE proseal head gaskets that were bent, but when I emailed JE support they said they were fine to use.

281 - 300 of 335 Posts