IW STi Forum banner

2012 STi, "Natasha"

GR Sedan: 
77K views 408 replies 24 participants last post by  Leemanfor 
#1 · (Edited)

The day I brought her home. February 6th, 2015.

Parts List:
OEM Engine - Piston ringland failure on cylinder 4 at 53,212 miles on 11-20-2015. Install date 04/2012

Built Engine #1 - Piston ring failure on #2 and #4 at 29,334 miles on 04-03-2020. Install date 01-04-2016
  • Manley Platinum Forged Pistons 99.5
  • Eagle Forged H-beam rods
  • OEM 2012 STi nitrided crank
  • ARP 2000 Headstuds
  • King Rod Bearings
  • King Main bearings
  • Killer-B oil pickup
  • Killer-B baffled oil pan

Built Engine #2 - install date 05/28/20
  • BuiltEJ/Emerald Coast Motorsports closed deck case halves bored to 99.75mm, align honed using torque plates
  • JE 99.75mm Ultra series 8.5:1 forged
  • Manley H-tuff Rods
  • OEM 2019+ STi nitrided crank
  • ARP 625+ headstuds
  • King XPG "Pmax black" rod bearings
  • King XPG "Pmax black" main bearings
  • Killer-B oil pickup
  • Killer-B oil baffle
  • Killer-B oil pan

Performance: Updated 12/20/21
  • BNM Performance Fab Rotated Turbo kit
  • Borg Warner EFR 7163
    • SX-E Compressor Housing
    • 0.85 AR V-band Turbine Housing
  • Mac 4 port EBCS
  • Magnaflow Catback
  • ETS Rotated Turbo FMIC
  • Tial 50mm BOV
  • Comp MPC Organic Clutch
  • ID1300 Injectors
  • Fuel Lab 6AN Fuel filter
  • Radium TGV housings
  • Radium AOS
  • Radium Fuel rails w/ 6AN PTFE lines routed Serial.
  • Radium Fuel Pulse Dampeners
  • Radium Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Radium Surge tank
  • Tial 44mm EWG
  • Walbro 450 Fuel Pump
  • Custom 3.5" intake for rotated setup
  • Aaron's Subaru Electronics Flex Fuel

Exterior:
  • Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +53 in Gold
  • BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 245/45/R18
  • Red powder coated brembos

Suspension/Steering:
  • 2015+ STi steering rack
  • Group N STi Pitch Stop
  • Group N STi Engine Mounts
  • Group N STi Transmission Mounts

Interior:
  • AEM X-line Wideband
  • Defi Red Racer oil pressure gauge
  • Defi Red Racer oil temp gauge
  • Cobb V3 Accessport
  • 3 pod A-Pillar

I am a DevOps Engineer for a Semi-conductor company in Longmont, CO. Back in 2004 when I was 17 I seen my first STI and heard that famous Subie rumble. I vowed that one day I would own one of those cars. That day finally came on February 6th 2015. I purchased a 2012 STi in Satin White Pearl with 39k miles on it for $28,000 from a Chevrolet Dealership.

I always liked the GR Sedan's and always wanted a white one. The car was Stock minus an SPT catback, RallyArmor Mudflaps and Motegi MR-118 17in wheels wrapped in Michelin Alpin winter tires.

I enjoyed the car for about 4 months stock, and then the mod bug started to itch. I went "stage 1" with a Grimmspeed CAI and OS Tune from Torqued Performance.

Then in July 2015 I purchased a CNT Catless downpipe, Grimmspeed EBCS and an V3 Cobb Accessport and went "Stage 2".

In October of 2015 I noticed I was having some issues with the car. It was bogging down a bit on power and my Accessport was not happy.

I decided to do a compression test towards the end of November...

At first I was disappointed and my wife wanted me to take it into Subaru and have them replace the short block. I didn't like that idea, because I modded it and it wasn't Subaru's fault the motor failed. So I decided to build the motor myself, because I had always wanted to do so.

I was originally going to re-use my OEM case halves, getting them honed and then using Manley drop in pistons. However, a piston install error changed that quickly.

Somehow the ring popped out and gouged the cylinder walls. So I went and bought new Case halves and got the shortblock assembled.

After it was all said and done. I really should have just purchased a shortblock from IAG. My wife was complaining to me about how much it cost, so I tried to do the "cheaper" route to appease her and in the end, I spent the same amount of money on it. Too late for that now. At least I can say I built it myself.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: 2012 STi, "Natasha"

June 2016

Pulled the trigger on a Mishimoto FMIC kit. Seen one on a GR Wagon at Street Tuner Mayhem and it fit so well. I was a little wary of it, but so far its been a great piece. the Intercooler is huge!

Here's the kit getting Powder-coated. I didn't like the polished aluminum look

#9 ·

Thanks!

Dyno on Saturday.

Here's the graph. Was expecting a tad bit more, however I did tell Eric to tune me a bit conservative for breakin of the built motor. Just a baseline at the moment until the Dom goes on once I get back from Cancun

#12 ·

^ Negative, on the VF48 turbo

Been awhile since I updated this.

The Dom 2.5XTR I was going to put on was blown. I bought it used, and didn't check it well enough. Blouch didn't want to rebuild it so I decided to just cut my losses with it.

A friend of mine has a td06sl2 20g and told me to try out Kinugawa's td06sl2 60-1 8cm2 turbo. I picked it up in Late September

#14 ·

October 2016

I was daily driving a 2002 Saturn L100 due to the fact I live 32 miles 1 way from my work. Its got an ecotec 2.2L engine that got good gas mileage and was cheap. These ecotecs are known to have timing chain tensioner issues and I started getting chain slack on startup in the morning

I decided to swap the tensioner. which requires you to pull the old one out and put the new one in...then set it. Well I was working on that, but told my wife not to mess with it as i needed to get a new VC gasket.

one fateful Sat. morning she tried to start it. Hindsight is I should have taken the battery terminals off, but I thought it was going to be an easy job.

Pulled #1 sparkplug to find this

#16 ·

Car started making this weird ticking noise only when cold. Couldn't figure it out, but I could feel it on the timing belt cover by the passenger side. Took a video and noticed my timing belt was "jumping" when the noise happened. Thought it was a bad tensioner, but the tensioner was fine.

Noticed my timing belt guides were resting on the belt itself. Bought the Gates timing belt guide tool and set the clearance right. However, the damage was already done. Had to replace the belt and timing tensioner

#20 ·

Holy
whats the mileage on the car?

Car started making this weird ticking noise only when cold. Couldn't figure it out, but I could feel it on the timing belt cover by the passenger side. Took a video and noticed my timing belt was "jumping" when the noise happened. Thought it was a bad tensioner, but the tensioner was fine.

Noticed my timing belt guides were resting on the belt itself. Bought the Gates timing belt guide tool and set the clearance right. However, the damage was already done. Had to replace the belt and timing tensioner

Image Link

#24 ·

Installed my grimmspeed MBC and hooked it up. So glad that annoying flutter is gone. Feels like boost response is better too.

Only a few logs in with my new tuner and the car already feels like a different animal. I know Eric @ Torqued Performance is highly regarded but I can't believe the difference so far

#25 ·

So the turbo is a touch laggy, however, I can't go any further until fueling is addressed. At a minimum, he'll need to hardwire the fuel pump, but of course I am recommending a Walbro 450 and an adjustable FPR and going Flex Fuel. :)

Altitude isn't helping the spool, but I think if anything is going to happen, it will be a good bit more boost on E85. I keep timing low via global timing removal during tuning, so things like this below aren't a complete self destruction.

I'm sure it feels pretty good up top, but certainly more to be had.

#34 ·

So the turbo is a touch laggy, however, I can't go any further until fueling is addressed. At a minimum, he'll need to hardwire the fuel pump, but of course I am recommending a Walbro 450 and an adjustable FPR and going Flex Fuel. :)

Altitude isn't helping the spool, but I think if anything is going to happen, it will be a good bit more boost on E85. I keep timing low via global timing removal during tuning, so things like this below aren't a complete self destruction.

I'm sure it feels pretty good up top, but certainly more to be had.

About an 80% tune and it should get better once I lean it out, and potentially add a little more timing. Looking forward to a 7,000 RPM log :)