IW STi Forum banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Almost forgot, but I got these case halves over a year ago from some kid who was moving to California.

well, come to find out he broke a bolt in the rear oil seperator plate. Which isn't surprising, because that one bolt near the crank can be a PITA to remove.

I was attempting to drill it out, and my drill bit slipped and damaged the threads. So I got some JB weld, and filled the hole the best I could. I then tapped the JB weld, and threaded in the bolt with copious amounts of RTV and so far there are no leaks. but I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I know it is too late but if you can WPC anything that rubs... I t has been successful for me so far and the guys at motoiq really recommend it. I did main and rod bearings, but if I was to do it again I'd also do piston rings and maybe the camshaft itself again. Turner motorsport also sells wpc'ed parts for the bmws...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Fired up the car, and no leaks but the car wouldn't idle right. Threw a crankshaft sensor code and cobb Flex fuel code.

Turns out, i forgot to plug in the flex fuel sensor so that was an easy fix.

I cleared the codes, tried to restart the car and it wouldn't start very well. Gave it some gas and it fired up but immediately threw the crankshaft code again and wouldn't idle right.

Checked timing, which was spot on, and pulled the crankshaft sensor to make sure it was clean.

upon inspection, it looks like i broke a crankshaft sprocket tooth. So this is why it wouldn't idle correct.

So I had to buy a new crankshaft sprocket, and take the timing belt off etc.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Once that was completed, I fired up the car and it ran so smooth.

There is almost 0 piston slap and it sounds almost like an OEM engine.

The comp MPC is amazing, and the pedal feel feels lighter than my wifes stock WRX clutch

the one difficult thing about it, is it grabs so hard and so low that I've stalled it a few times haha.

Drained the oil and found no metal fragments, but a small amount of RTV which was slightly concerning.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Filled up with Amsoil 30w break-in oil and an OEM filter. and went out and did the break-in

I did 20x engine braking events, from 2500 to 4000,4500,5000,5500 and then letting the engine brake down to 2500.

I did 10x 8 psi WOT events from 2500 to 4000,4500,5000,5500,6000 and then letting it engine brake down to 2500.

Went back to the garage, drained the oil and seen a small amount of metal in the oil but none in the oil filter.

Oil pressures look solid
90 psi cold start
70 psi above 2500 RPMs
20 psi warm idle

·
Registered
707 Posts
nice my warm idle is more like 14-16 with 10k but I did do oil porting.. but it is also time for an oil change again.. No more RTV?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
I put about 30 miles on the car and realized my AC wasn't working. I forgot to install the AC belt, so I ordered that and installed it.

but my AC compressor would not engage. So i started doing some troubleshooting and found out I had no refrigerant in the system. I added a little bit and it immediately shot out the low pressure side on the AC compressor, so i ordered new O-rings and installed those on the low and high side.

Added a bit of refrigerant and could hear it hissing out the low-pressure hose crimp near the oil fill tube. FML

So i ordered a new line from Subaru, and installed it.
Pulled vacuum, added refrigerant and the AC blows ice cold.

Went out to drive the car and when backing out I noticed a small pool of oil, so I pulled it back in and checked. It looked like the oil was leaking from the driver VC gasket, so i added oil dye and cleaned everything really good. Took it out to the store and back, and parked it.

Shined my UV light on it, and turns out the VC gasket was leaking pretty good right here.

So I get a new VC gasket, pull the VC and cleaned it real good. Re-install it and it starts leaking again.

Also, it looks like the passenger VC gasket is leaking as well.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
This is how it sits as of today, and I've lost the will to fix it. so I'm unsure as to when it will get fixed. Its been non-stop since April and I'm burnt out.

Bonus pic of my buddies 09 Cobalt SS we're working on, as he cracked a cylinder sleeve(we think)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
nice my warm idle is more like 14-16 with 10k but I did do oil porting.. but it is also time for an oil change again.. No more RTV?
So far so good.

I drained the 30w break-in oil and seen no RTV in that oil. and filled it up with O'reillys 10w-40 conventional.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts