IW STi Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
My clutch was shot, which I'm not really disappointed in. I hated this clutch anyway but it explains why it chattered so bad

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Upon dissassmebly, found out the rings in cylinder 2 and 4 butted like I suspected due to me not gapping them when I built this engine. My rod bearings were pretty worn down too

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Pulled my subframe assembly out because it was nasty from the oil leak I've had the past 3 years. I cleaned it in my DIY cleaning tank, and then pressure washed it clean.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
I hit the subframe with a coat of Amsoil HD Metal protectant and bolted it back in. Looks super clean now

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Got my brembos powdercoated red, and pictures do not do this justice. Its got a sparkle when the sun hits it and looks mint.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
And heres how the car sits today, bonus pic of the wifes 2011 WRX in the backround.

Once the block gets here tomorrow, the pistons+rods+crank+flywheel are going to the machine shop to get balanced along with the heads to get cleaned/decked.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
So got my block yesterday, and lets just say I'm not very impressed nor happy with the particular shop that did the work. I'm leaving out their name for now as I'm in contact with the shop so lets see if they make it right.

but

1. There is no documentation telling me what they set the PTW clearance at. JE specs .040 from this spec sheet.
2. They didn't clean it at all, its still full of metal shavings.
3. I had them line hone it but they didn't say how much they removed from the mains.
4. I sent my headstuds in to have the line hone performed with the same headstuds, but it appears they didnt even open the headstuds despite requesting them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Well the shop contacted me and told me there was a communication error, and the PTW clearance was set at .0035(which is what JE specs). I'm still not super happy with the cleaning but they did everything I paid for.

Tomorrow I'll be taking the rotating assembly, block, and heads to the machine shop to get decked/cleaned and the rotating assembly balanced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well the shop contacted me and told me there was a communication error, and the PTW clearance was set at .0035(which is what JE specs). I'm still not super happy with the cleaning but they did everything I paid for.

Tomorrow I'll be taking the rotating assembly, block, and heads to the machine shop to get decked/cleaned and the rotating assembly balanced.
Good to hear it's all good in the end. What headstuds are you going with? 11mm 625 or bigger?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Local machine shop called me today letting me know my stuff was ready, that was a quick turn around.

I had them check the PTW clearance, just in case, and they said it measured .0035 on all 4 pistons. Thats good to hear, which means Emerald Coast did their job just with some poor communication imo.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Did some measuring on the mains this weekend. I measured the rods a couple weeks ago and they all were .001 to .0015, so I ordered some looser rod bearings.

This sucks to do "right" on a subaru block. Dom told me to do it correctly, you need to bolt the heads on with your head studs to simulate the distortion of the block. The mains measured:

1. .0015
2. .0016
3 .0015
4 .0015
5. .0018

I'm a bit concerned the number 5 main is wider, but I'm still gonna send it. I'm wondering if that's just a measuring error. but I ordered new rod bearings and hopefully they will be here this week so i can assemble next week.

Shot of the workspace, had to make sure the house was at 72 degrees and the wife left for the day. Little does she know I build engines inside!

241 - 256 of 256 Posts