IW STi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Small updates

Car was running pretty lean in boost, way off target AFR

Decided to do some troubleshooting, thinking maybe my fuel filter not being changed in awhile was causing a drop in fuel pressure. So i swapped that out

it was a little dirty, but not horrible. It didn't seem to help, as I was still running lean. Next up was a boost leak test, and sure enough I had a pretty massive leak at the FPR nipple

Not sure how it got loose, but the hose clamp was way too loose. It only seemed to hiss above 15 psi, but at 30 psi it was quite a leak.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Finally figured out my lean issue.

Turns out, my Walbro 450 started to go bad. It could not keep up with fueling demands at high boost. I swapped it out for another one, and problem solved

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Been awhile since I posted, lots changed!

I picked up a killer-B oil pan so I could wire in an oil temp sensor and add oil capacity for track racing, and bought a new house!

Now I have a bigger garage and more space for hoodrat car things

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Got a few goodies for race season. Yamaha hooked me up with his old 4 port so I could bring WGDC down. When I hooked up the 3 port, at 5% WGDC it was making ~29 psi boost so the car was like a light switch.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Well, the home built engine finally decided it had enough. At 28,862 miles she lost compression in cylinder 2 and 4

LC_2.jpg
LC_4.jpg

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Leakdown was 30% in cylinder 2 and 21% in cylinder 4. Cylinders 1 and 3 were good at 120 psi. My intial thought is rings butted, as I had just installed my 4 port EBCS and Yamaha and I were running 30 psi of boost to redline with the EFR7163. right at 6200 RPMs the car got 11 degrees of knock. I only noticed the car idled funny but otherwise drove fine.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Leakdown was 30% in cylinder 2 and 21% in cylinder 4. Cylinders 1 and 3 were good at 120 psi. My intial thought is rings butted, as I had just installed my 4 port EBCS and Yamaha and I were running 30 psi of boost to redline with the EFR7163. right at 6200 RPMs the car got 11 degrees of knock. I only noticed the car idled funny but otherwise drove fine.
Damn man sorry to hear. I was going to post a meme to get a laugh but it wont help. So what are you going to do with it? Rebuild it? IAG block?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Damn man sorry to hear. I was going to post a meme to get a laugh but it wont help. So what are you going to do with it? Rebuild it? IAG block?
Going to rebuild. at the moment I'm unsure if I want to go JE ultra pistons or with Cosworths since the car is a street car/race car.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
ordered new parts today.

JE 99.75mm Ultra pistons 8.5:1 CR
Manley H-tuff rods
King XPG "pmax black" Main/rod bearings
Factory STi crank

Sending in my spare case halves to get closed deck.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts
I am curious to see what the failure was. Log looked good with timing that was removed for this map. My guess is consecutive pulls at this boost got that bank nice and toasty (without a cooling kit) and butted the rings that likely needed to be opened up. Just my guess... I am awaiting the tear-down results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, the home built engine finally decided it had enough. At 28,862 miles she lost compression in cylinder 2 and 4

View attachment 59149
View attachment 59150
Sorry to hear about the failure. One of my favorites build threads with carefully thought out mods. I'm running a 2010 STI with an EFR7163 EWG in albeit in Johannesburg South Africa at high altitude ( 5800). Surprised to see that the turbo is capable of holding 30 psi, are you at seal level or running a heavy spring? Good luck with the build, keen to see what the turbo is capable off with the closed deck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Sorry to hear about the failure. One of my favorites build threads with carefully thought out mods. I'm running a 2010 STI with an EFR7163 EWG in albeit in Johannesburg South Africa at high altitude ( 5800). Surprised to see that the turbo is capable of holding 30 psi, are you at seal level or running a heavy spring? Good luck with the build, keen to see what the turbo is capable off with the closed deck.
Thanks for the kind words.

No, i am at 5500 ft altitude as well(Denver Colorado). I am running an 8 psi spring with a Tial 44mm EWG, and using a Mac 4 port EBCS.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Some updates finally.

Took the engine out a few weeks ago. Took my time with it since we were quarantined anyway.

221 - 240 of 256 Posts