The day I brought her home. February 6th, 2015.
OEM Engine - Piston ringland failure on cylinder 4 at 53,212 miles on 11-20-2015. Install date 04/2012
Built Engine #1 - Piston ring failure on #2 and #4 at 29,334 miles on 04-03-2020. Install date 01-04-2016
- Manley Platinum Forged Pistons 99.5
- Eagle Forged H-beam rods
- OEM 2012 STi nitrided crank
- ARP 2000 Headstuds
- King Rod Bearings
- King Main bearings
- Killer-B oil pickup
- Killer-B baffled oil pan
Built Engine #2 - install date 05/28/20
- BuiltEJ/Emerald Coast Motorsports closed deck case halves bored to 99.75mm, align honed using torque plates
- JE 99.75mm Ultra series 8.5:1 forged
- Manley H-tuff Rods
- OEM 2019+ STi nitrided crank
- ARP 625+ headstuds
- King XPG "Pmax black" rod bearings
- King XPG "Pmax black" main bearings
- Killer-B oil pickup
- Killer-B oil baffle
- Killer-B oil pan
Performance: Updated 12/20/21
- BNM Performance Fab Rotated Turbo kit
- Borg Warner EFR 7163
- SX-E Compressor Housing
- 0.85 AR V-band Turbine Housing
- Mac 4 port EBCS
- Magnaflow Catback
- ETS Rotated Turbo FMIC
- Tial 50mm BOV
- Comp MPC Organic Clutch
- ID1300 Injectors
- Fuel Lab 6AN Fuel filter
- Radium TGV housings
- Radium AOS
- Radium Fuel rails w/ 6AN PTFE lines routed Serial.
- Radium Fuel Pulse Dampeners
- Radium Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Radium Surge tank
- Tial 44mm EWG
- Walbro 450 Fuel Pump
- Custom 3.5" intake for rotated setup
- Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +53 in Gold
- BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 245/45/R18
- Red powder coated brembos
- 2015+ STi steering rack
- Group N STi Pitch Stop
- Group N STi Engine Mounts
- Group N STi Transmission Mounts
- AEM X-line Wideband
- Defi Red Racer oil pressure gauge
- Defi Red Racer oil temp gauge
- Cobb V3 Accessport
- 3 pod A-Pillar
I am a DevOps Engineer for a Semi-conductor company in Longmont, CO. Back in 2004 when I was 17 I seen my first STI and heard that famous Subie rumble. I vowed that one day I would own one of those cars. That day finally came on February 6th 2015. I purchased a 2012 STi in Satin White Pearl with 39k miles on it for $28,000 from a Chevrolet Dealership.
I always liked the GR Sedan's and always wanted a white one. The car was Stock minus an SPT catback, RallyArmor Mudflaps and Motegi MR-118 17in wheels wrapped in Michelin Alpin winter tires.
I enjoyed the car for about 4 months stock, and then the mod bug started to itch. I went "stage 1" with a Grimmspeed CAI and OS Tune from Torqued Performance.
Then in July 2015 I purchased a CNT Catless downpipe, Grimmspeed EBCS and an V3 Cobb Accessport and went "Stage 2".
In October of 2015 I noticed I was having some issues with the car. It was bogging down a bit on power and my Accessport was not happy.
I decided to do a compression test towards the end of November...
At first I was disappointed and my wife wanted me to take it into Subaru and have them replace the short block. I didn't like that idea, because I modded it and it wasn't Subaru's fault the motor failed. So I decided to build the motor myself, because I had always wanted to do so.
I was originally going to re-use my OEM case halves, getting them honed and then using Manley drop in pistons. However, a piston install error changed that quickly.
Somehow the ring popped out and gouged the cylinder walls. So I went and bought new Case halves and got the shortblock assembled.
After it was all said and done. I really should have just purchased a shortblock from IAG. My wife was complaining to me about how much it cost, so I tried to do the "cheaper" route to appease her and in the end, I spent the same amount of money on it. Too late for that now. At least I can say I built it myself.
73.9 KB Views: 530