IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys i have just purchased a 2011 sti sedan and have noticed the steering wheel vibrates more than other cars i have driven.....is this normal? or is it a problem? i have just out on 100 miles on the car...just wondering if the sti is supposed to be like this to give the driver more road feel?.....i would like to know if any 2011 sti owners are experiencing this.....

·
Registered
485 Posts
no man, my 11 didn't do that at all. take it back to the dealer and have them check it.
If you are use to driving something with mushy suspension the sti will be a shock at first.

Most of us that own them dont notice after a while because it just becomes the norm. I was driving my friends 10 VW gti and i get significantly more feel through the steering wheel in comparison.

It shouldnt be vibrating or shaking on the highway but you should feel the bumps and roughness of the road(especially on summers)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a first time sti owner....so i dont know if its just road feel or if its suppose to be like that...steering does not shake...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hello guys i have just purchased a 2011 sti sedan and have noticed the steering wheel vibrates more than other cars i have driven.....is this normal? or is it a problem? i have just out on 100 miles on the car...just wondering if the sti is supposed to be like this to give the driver more road feel?.....i would like to know if any 2011 sti owners are experiencing this.....
Is it only noticeable at higher (>50 mph) speeds? Does the amount of vibration vary a lot with speed (e.g. a noticeable difference in how much it shakes as you go slowly from 50 to 70)? At a given speed, is it constant or does it increase and decrease with time?

If you answered yes to some of these, there are two obvious possibilities are wheel balance and flat spotting. Since the car is a 2011, it seems unlikely to have sat long enough to have flat spotted the tires, so I guess I would ask the dealer to check out the issue and suggest wheel balance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
go to the dealer, you still have your warranty anyways.

some common problems are perhaps... flat spot in the tire, bent wheels, lug nuts not torqued down.

good luck!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will have them check it out...it could be that this is my first sti...it just feels like i can feel everything on the road...it does not shake....could be something to get used too i guess...thanks...

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have 11' sti and i get the same problem. i won't say it's salsa shaky shake but it does vibrate very badly on a high way speed especially when im off the throttle and just coasting along. i mind you that im not the guy who much cares about vibration, squeak, and roughness here and there especially, when im fully aware on nature of these cars. but it still gave me WTF when i felt it. yea, it's that bad. it feels like im holding massage vibrator at high power.
only culprit i can think of that relates to this problem is slight bent on front right wheel i got from hitting a pot hole. fml.
and i hope that would be it instead of wheel bearing or anyother parts gone wrong.:(

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
only culprit i can think of that relates to this problem is slight bent on front right wheel i got from hitting a pot hole. fml.
and i hope that would be it instead of wheel bearing or anyother parts gone wrong.:(
Why not stop hoping and put the spare on and find out for sure?

·
Registered
251 Posts
thx for the advice, but problem only occurs at highway speed like 65-75mph. i don't know if it's just me but i don't feel much secure going that speed with spare wheel.
Put the suspect front wheel onto the rear of the car and put the rear wheel to the front. Adjust tire pressures and go for a drive.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It'll only take a few seconds to figure it out but suit yourself. I'd be more worried about driving a car that feels like a vibrator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts