IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've noticed a slow oil leak coming from around the left Exhaust Solenoid valve which is part number 10917AA070. I'm going to replace the gasket (10924AA011) to see if it helps however I've been reading threads of the solenoid itself wearing out, as it is may be a wear item.

My question therefore is, seeing as I have no CEL or codes corresponding to bank 2 issues, is it likely that the AVCS solenoid is worn out? Should I purchase one before starting the job or just stick with the gasket and wait for results?

Thanks!

Also, links that I found useful for info: 1 2

·
Registered
275 Posts
personally i would start with the gasket...but up to you, if the solenoid is failing somewhere other than the gasket then you will need to do the work again...you could also try to clean it and let the car idle to see where its leaking, whether at the gasket or somewhere else

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
You shouldn't need new OCV's at that mileage. Typically, you should either change them when you spin a bearing or change them if your car is telling you there is an actual fault with them. Otherwise, if you're leaking from the gasket, just change the gasket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You shouldn't need new OCV's at that mileage. Typically, you should either change them when you spin a bearing or change them if your car is telling you there is an actual fault with them. Otherwise, if you're leaking from the gasket, just change the gasket.
Alright this is reassuring for sure. I'll get to the gasket and see how it holds. Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got under the car and upon further investigation this is what I saw. Seems like the gasket is ok but the plastic connector is leaving which I understand to be the sign of a failing unit requiring full replacement of the assembly. Is that correct?

https://ibb.co/album/evz9bF wasn't able to hyperlink on mobile. Pls ignore last pic.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
So I got under the car and upon further investigation this is what I saw. Seems like the gasket is ok but the plastic connector is leaving which I understand to be the sign of a failing unit requiring full replacement of the assembly. Is that correct?

Ocv — imgbb.com wasn't able to hyperlink on mobile. Pls ignore last pic.

What do you mean by "leaving"? Have you cleaned up that entire area with a cleaner and then checked again?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean by "leaving"? Have you cleaned up that entire area with a cleaner and then checked again?
Sorry, meant leaking***.

Yes, I have cleaned it and noticed it looks similar every time I get under the car, similar to what I posted in the album.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Sorry, meant leaking***.

Yes, I have cleaned it and noticed it looks similar every time I get under the car, similar to what I posted in the album.
Hmmm I’ve never seen one leak from the actual solenoid o-ring. But anything is possible. If you have the money, I’d just replace the whole thing so you never worry about it again, but if you want save I’d pull out the solenoid itself and check the o-ring and replace just that if you can find one

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
O-ring or gasket issue. Leaning towards O-ring. Buddy did find a company making a heat shield to cover that solenoid as it is directly over exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
859 Posts
O-ring or gasket issue. Leaning towards O-ring. Buddy did find a company making a heat shield to cover that solenoid as it is directly over exhaust pipe.
that's the passenger side exhaust OCV solenoid i think. much harder to get to. the driver's side exhaust solenoid is maybe next to one... but not above... my memory is failing me tho. i cant find a pic of the under side of 2011's and up. older stis dont seem to have these solenoids.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just my 2 cents on which AVCS oil control valves to buy. Use stock Subaru valves only! I wasted a bunch of time and $$ acting as a test mule for three GATES VVS164 (stock part 10921AA080), from RockAuto. Out of the first two, one was DOA and the other was equally slow to advance as the stock valve I was replacing. Ordered a third and it would only advance to 18 degrees, instead of the stock 30-31 degrees of intake valve advance. Gates oil control valves for Subaru are basically JUNK and might not throw a code, but would cause power loss and likely engine damage. RockAuto says it is a manufacturer warranty return then had the nerve to charge return shipping even on the DOA part. Won't be buying electronics parts from them ever again. **Also stay away from their cheap Chinese front axles. The boot lasted all of 2,000 miles then I got to clean up a huge mess of grease again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts