IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I’m thinking of upgrading my wheels for this summer and future summers to come. Car is a daily driver right now that sees a decent amount of spirited back country driving. Winter driving on the wheel/tire combo won’t be a concern cause I’ll drive stock in winters. Live in the northwest so we have our fair share of crappy roads so quality will also be a must. Car will one day be turned into a track car but that’s for a later day. I was thinking of trying 18x9.5 +30-38 but idk if that will clear the stock calipers but I’m worried that a narrower 8.5 like the stock wheels won’t fill the sexy fat fenders we have unless I ran a fairly low offset but then I’m worried about clearance issues again. Idk maybe I’m just overthinking it and just need to pull the plug on some 9.5 wides. Let me know what you all think, thank you in advance ??

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Shoot for an offset closer to 40.

We use these:

And these on our race cars:

Both are great wheels, really comes down to style and budget.

so I’m thinking of upgrading my wheels for this summer and future summers to come. Car is a daily driver right now that sees a decent amount of spirited back country driving. Winter driving on the wheel/tire combo won’t be a concern cause I’ll drive stock in winters. Live in the northwest so we have our fair share of crappy roads so quality will also be a must. Car will one day be turned into a track car but that’s for a later day. I was thinking of trying 18x9.5 +30-38 but idk if that will clear the stock calipers but I’m worried that a narrower 8.5 like the stock wheels won’t fill the sexy fat fenders we have unless I ran a fairly low offset but then I’m worried about clearance issues again. Idk maybe I’m just overthinking it and just need to pull the plug on some 9.5 wides. Let me know what you all think, thank you in advance ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot for an offset closer to 40.

We use these:

And these on our race cars:

Both are great wheels, really comes down to style and budget.
I do like those wheels but I do prefer the 5-6 spoke wheels more

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I’ll look into those ones. So basically you guys would recommend if I was to go with a 9.5” wide would be keeping the et around 40? Would it even be beneficial to go 9.5 or should I stay 8.5. Remember it’s just daily driving but does see a lot of spirited driving and will only see spirited driving and track driving in the further future

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so you would recommend a 18x9.5 et38-45 with a 275-295 wide tire and I shouldn’t have any clearance issues with calipers and shouldn’t have much rubbing at all especially if I roll fenders wich I most likely will just do just cause it’s more safe proof for the tires from getting gauged by that hard lip on the inside of the fender

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so with 9.5 wide at 45 offset I wouldn’t need much fender rolling with that size of tire but if I drop down to around closer to 38 I would need a lot of fender rolling if not possibly cutting fender

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so I’m gonna shoot for 18x9.5 +45-40 absolutely no lower than 40 and a 275 wide tire. I don’t know a lot about the tire measurements and why they mean all I know is that the big number is how wide it is ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran 18x9.5 +45mm Advan RSDF with 265/35/18 Michelin PSS on my 2011 STI Sedan. Rolling the rear fenders was a necessity even on the stock suspension. The pictures below were taken when the car was on the bilsten cup kit with RCE Yellows and the rear set to max height to minimize the butt sag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran 18x9.5 +45mm Advan RSDF with 265/35/18 Michelin PSS on my 2011 STI Sedan. Rolling the rear fenders was a necessity even on the stock suspension. The pictures below were taken when the car was on the bilsten cup kit with RCE Yellows and the rear set to max height to minimize the butt sag.
View attachment 59313 View attachment 59314
Did it scrape after or rub at all after rolling fenders? And I’ll probably go with a 255

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes those will fit a 255. I'd do a 255/35/18 or 265/35/18 to avoid any potential fitment issues as opposed to a 255/40/18. Either way you'll end up rolling the rear fenders
And that will still leave enough “beafyness” to the tire?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts