IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has ever modded an Sti enough to go :eek:200mph? I know you would need a insane body kit, more power than GOD and a higher top gear (Diff or Tranny) but could/has it been done?:tup: :tdown: :confused:

· Registered
14,323 Posts
Easily do-able. Simply fill the vehicle with $100 bills (and I mean stuff the car), trailer it to a reputable builder, give him the money, go out to Bonneville, go to 200. Easy, right?

· Registered
3,950 Posts
If they can take a civic b18 (iirc) and reduce it to 1.5litre motor and run it 200+ at the bonneville, i'm sure it can be done with STi.

· The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
10,384 Posts
yea you could do it. the main limiting factors are aerodynamics (the sti is like a brick wall) and gearing (with stock redline the car is gear limited to around 175). If you raised the redline by 1000rpm you might be able to get there in 6th, but who knows.

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I'll try it then

Well, then. Come next spring I might have to try that. I posted a thread about swaping a EJ25 for an H6. It has been done so that would be the motor. Carbon Fiber body kit, the real trick is going to find out what to do aboot the gearing. :confused: I don't think the stock diff's are built for that and maybe even the tranny.

I should have aboot $40,000 :eek: to spend come spring and then I realized, WTF am I thinking, I'll get an Oil company around here to sponsor me,DUHH! They got more money than GOD, and since it's never been done, more advertising for them.:naughty:

· Registered
451 Posts
i think you'll not only have to get lots more power and probably different gearing, you'll also probably have to take about 800 -`1000 lbs out of the car. and figure out how to not get it to flip when it hits 180ish. you can watch lots fo videos of speed testing where the cars flip...and they were really aerodynamic cars (rx-7 vid comes to mind).

i'm interested to see if the differentials could sustain that higher spinning? i konw rx7 auto is redline limited because its auot tranny couldnt spin at 9,000 rpm. this is a random thought, can't back up this at all.

· Premium Member
4,236 Posts
Xyloft said:
i think you'll not only have to get lots more power and probably different gearing, you'll also probably have to take about 800 -`1000 lbs out of the car. and figure out how to not get it to flip when it hits 180ish. you can watch lots fo videos of speed testing where the cars flip...and they were really aerodynamic cars (rx-7 vid comes to mind).

i'm interested to see if the differentials could sustain that higher spinning? i konw rx7 auto is redline limited because its auot tranny couldnt spin at 9,000 rpm. this is a random thought, can't back up this at all.

also the 350Z video comes to mind when trying to achieve these goals.

· Registered
268 Posts
Andy Forrest has the first documented subaru that did over 200 mph who just so happens to run a Crawford block did 210mph top speed with an older model imprezza in September 2005. I think that it ran low 10's in 1/4. If I was you I would call the good folks @ Crawford who i'm sure knows the setup or has a way to contact Andy Forrest who resides in the UK. Let's not forget that the car also runs 9.3s now. You will need all of that 40k if not more to achieve a reliable 200+ STI. Don't become discouraged, just remember speed cost money and reliable speed cost even more. Good luck!

· Registered
14,323 Posts
kvannice said:
Take it up in a plane with no parachute, and push it out about 5 miles up, it'll hit 200+ guaranteed.

Nope. Try closer to 120mph+/-. You'd have to shape it like a lawn dart to get it up and over 200mph in a freefall. Drag is a bytch.

*edit* Sorry, I forgot the math to prove it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

· Registered
451 Posts
BluSTi said:
Nope. Try closer to 120mph+/-. You'd have to shape it like a lawn dart to get it up and over 200mph in a freefall. Drag is a bytch.

*edit* Sorry, I forgot the math to prove it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

so bascially what you're saying is it has to enter into a vaccum before it is pushed ou to of the plane. or possibly push it out of the plan at 64 miles, though accelleration would be a lot slower up there.

if it was a pure vaccum strait to the surface you'd probably approach 25,000 mph!!!!!

· 'do right & fear no one"
10,046 Posts
BigRigger said:
I should have aboot $40,000 to spend
40? ha...haha...hahahaha...hahahahahahahahahahah (isfh)

(it's not how fast it goes. it's how fast it takes to get to how fast it's going)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.