IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, im sure someone's asked this. but i can't find answers anywhere. sorry for being the biggest idiot on these forums...

What exactly sets the 2009 sti ten thousand dollars apart from the 2009 wrx. i would really like to know it all. i know theres a 6 speed transmission, its hatch, 40 more horsepower, and brembo brakes. but that doesn't sound like $10,000 to me.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Nothing go get the WRX it is sooooo much better. :lol:

Really though, you did kinda hit the high points. There are MANY more differences though. If that stuff isn't worth the money to you then don't get the car. Very simple. No need to post up on the STI board about it.

So after you buy the WRX, and you are driving around feeling so smart, having saved 10 grand, and your doors gets blowned off, at least you will have some cash in the banks. :)

Oh yeah, wider fenders, upgraded interior, Driver Control Center Differential, Wider rubber, stiffer suspension, just to name a few. ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you wan't the performance by the STi. Lots of people think they can but the WRX and mod it to a STi. You can, but you will spend more money in the long run. The extra 8K for the STi is well worth it if you have the money!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
There are quite a few differences between the two of them. I think if you are trully interested in buying either one, you should go test drive them both. You will see the difference in why the STI cost more than the WRX. The six speed by itself would made me get the STI over the WRX.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ok, im sure someone's asked this. but i can't find answers anywhere. sorry for being the biggest idiot on these forums...

What exactly sets the 2009 sti ten thousand dollars apart from the 2009 wrx. i would really like to know it all. i know theres a 6 speed transmission, its hatch, 40 more horsepower, and brembo brakes. but that doesn't sound like $10,000 to me.
Have you seen the two cars side-by-side and compared? The big ass on the STI alone already makes it worth getting more than the WRX:lol:.

·
I am a banana!
2,827 Posts
Have you seen the two cars side-by-side and compared? The big ass on the STI alone already makes it worth getting more than the WRX:lol:.
I never really noticed how disparate the two vehicles looked until NASIOC did their top scoob thing and they had modded hatch WRXs on the same page as the modded STIs.

All the STI needs is maybe a front lip and it looks badass. The WRX has MILES to go in the looks department....

So for the extra money on the STI...you get a perfect factory fitted widebody kit, a 6 speed "unbreakable" transmission (vs. the known weak 5-speed), better suspension, more power and a wider track.

I agree with icudruln above, the 6-speed alone is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You're forgetting:

HIDs on the STI
6 disc CD changer
Alcanterra
Larger/wider wheels & tires
SI-Drive
DCCD
...among other things.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're forgetting:

HIDs on the STI
6 disc CD changer
Alcanterra
Larger/wider wheels & tires
SI-Drive
DCCD
...among other things.

Brembo's
5x114.3 lug pattern
6spd bulletproof trans
Widebodied design
AVLS/AVCS (not sure if the WRX has this or not.)
17 STi badges (lol)
Fraternity of STi stick on tattoo

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
6MT alone is worth it. I wish they'd build 5MT at least as strong as 4EAT then it wouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are quite a few differences between the two of them. I think if you are trully interested in buying either one, you should go test drive them both. You will see the difference in why the STI cost more than the WRX. The six speed by itself would made me get the STI over the WRX.

Wow, thanks for all the answers so fast. i have test driven the wrx and i thought that was absolutely amazing. i guess what I really need to do it test drive the wrx and the STi back to back.

Now one thing i've noticed with my street bike gsxr 600. is that its super quick from 0-75, but highway acceleration it lacks a lot in comparison to my friend's gsxr 1000. The 1000 just has a much bigger engine, with more horsepower.

Could this be the same case with the wrx and STi?

0-60 for wrx is 4.8 sec, 0-60 for STi is 4.7. but with that extra 40 horse i feel like the STi would problably destroy the base wrx on the highway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I tried for 6 years to turn my WRX into an STi as far as performance and I have to say the Sti is a much better platform to start with. I destroyed the trans in the WRX and ended going with RA gearset which made it a little bit stronger and cost me $3500. I traded with somebody for the STi interior and that looked good but it is just not the same as an STi. So for the money you are going to spend trying to make it an STi you could have a waited an bought one. Just my opinion.:tup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
okay so i am also a super NOOB when it comes to wrx and sti. honestly, we just came upon lots of money from the stock market (about $742,000) and all my friends were like d00d get the wrx or sti. ive been reading about the difference and all i really care about are which one has the nicer interior? and which one is more comfortable, quiet, and roomier. i also have another question- i read all these things about people saying why the sti is better, 6 speed, whats so good about a six speed? is it better or something? and whats dccd? what are brembo brakes? hids? alcanterra? si drive? avls/avcs? thanks soo soo much i just want to know based on those things, which car is better.
thanks
brad

·
Starkiller Moderator
3,671 Posts
Honestly, not knowing what ANY of that stuff is shows that an STi may not be the best idea for you... but ill tell you what most of them are anyways.

-Six speed is the much stronger transmission, and is more fun IMHO.

-DCCD = Driver Control Center Differential. adjusts the torque distribution between the front and rear diffs.

-Brembo Brakes = Really big, very nice brakes. Most people have to buy these aftermarket for thousands. Older ones are gold :)

-HIDS = Those really bright white/blue headlights you see around.

-Alcaterra = Type of suede like material the seats are made out of.

-AVCS = Similar to VTEC (I think), its a valve timing thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
^^the six speed is much stronger and can handle more hp.dccd is a driver controlled center differential, which in short allows you to use from full auto to rear wheel bias. brembo is a well known brake company, they come stock on an sti, and would be an upgrade to any wrx owner. there are many faq's you can read on here and on nasioc.com to learn more.

in addition to what everyone else said...... ej257 instead of ej255(stronger motor), bigger turbo and intercooler, and lots of cool sti badges ;)

·
Starkiller Moderator
3,671 Posts
jeeze osiris47 beat me to it lol. sweet avatar btw
Its my front badge on the car :)

The STi is just much more car for the money. Its more expensive for a reason.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts