IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the factory halogen daytime running lights on my 2008 STI with LED ones. They look nicer and I think my current halogen lights are almost burnt out. Are there nice aftermarket LED options I can buy that aren't crazy expensive? Thank you in advance!

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
The DRL's are just the highbeams running on low voltage so they are dimmer.
You can't run LED's at 'low voltage' so they'll either not turn on or turn on like highbeams instead of DRL's, which will blind people, especially LED highbeams (I know because I have LED highbeams and they are bright as hell).
Your options are to unplug the wire on the back of the headlights that controls the DRL function, essentially disabling them, or there are harnesses that switch your DRL's to your foglights.

I have this, so essentially my settings are;
1 all lights off, foglights always on as DRL's
2 all marker lights on including side markers and tails, fog lights optional
3 all lights on including low beams, fog lights optional.

I've been running this for 5 years now with my Morimoto LED foglights and it has been problem free.

I installed this so that I could upgrade my highbeams to LED, as I do a lot of cross-province drives at night in the winter time.
LED highbeams are one of the best upgrades you'll make.
It's like a tunnel of daylight when I turn them on and they literally wash out my OEM xenon main beams lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great information to know, thanks! I will look into this kit.

Are there any LED options that can dim? Or anything you would suggest?

If you unplug the wire, do the DRLs not turn on ever? And then only turn on when you activate high beams?

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Great information to know, thanks! I will look into this kit.

Are there any LED options that can dim? Or anything you would suggest?

If you unplug the wire, do the DRLs not turn on ever? And then only turn on when you activate high beams?
Not that I know of and that is correct.
Disable is disable outright.
You could turn to the second position on the light stalk and have the corner lights on with the tails but if you disable them to then 鈥榦ff鈥 means absolutely everything is off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts