IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: 2008 STi track car Journal

What do you have mounted behind your windows leading to the hatch? Are they miniature canards?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

What do you have mounted behind your windows leading to the hatch? Are they miniature canards?
YES! :lol: :busted: Aren't they elegant and don't they make it look more racey? I'm sure they are worth a second a lap. :rolleyes:
It's a joke. I was wondering when someone would say something. Few people have ever said anything about them. Perhaps they think I am crazy. Could be...
They are stick-ons and cost me all of $3.00!
Actually, they have grown on me and I may leave them on there forever.
Should I start a poll of whether to leave them on or take them off?

·
Registered
207 Posts

When I first saw them on your car I wondered if they were the stick on fender emblems from autozone that I see on the cars whose owners are of strong hispanic descent. I opted for miniature canards as I thought you happened to come up with something functional for the back half of our cars. =]

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

From WGI in September. Did three days on Thunderbolt with NASA a week ago. Now the motor's out as I prepare to put new motor in with BW 8374.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)

A taste of what I've been up to. Note HVT recessed camber plates.

Close-ratio 2004 tranny gets an oil cooler. One like it on the other side for the Power steering. Can't see the new OS Giken diffs...;) but they're in!

One-piece intercooler pipe. Big Setrab oil cooler.

Oil filter, Mocal thermostatic bypass valve where battery used to be.

New location for the battery and fire extinguisher. Behind passenger seat which is usually out.

I now just have gutted headlights; just the outer lenses.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

I'm bringing this back, since I've seen you posting :) I've never seen an oil cooler used on the subaru 6 speed before; pretty cool. Maybe the transmission temp is a field that romraider logger can monitor.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Oh, I'm sure it can! External cooling of the transaxle's been done before; just not like I've done it.
The cooler for the power steering: Ditto. Been done before. I've done some things to help airflow around these guys.
I've got a few new things to show off. After I return from PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK next Friday. New, exciting, roller-coaster, 2.4 mile track.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)

Should be running in a week!
Finished, clear-coated manifolds. Blue fitting on the far right is where I tapped into the oil fill tube to return oil pressure bypass overflow from Peterson valve. Bypass valve is mostly hidden by the manifold plenum. 12mm ported and modified oil pump has the bypass valve plugged so it cannot open. It also has a deep back plate from an 11mm pump.
Fluidampr crankshaft pulley to dampen harmful harmonics at higher RPMs.
In this shot I am trial fitting the fuel lines and injector rails. I had to switch from the stacked, Boomba design to the Cosworth fuel rails. Now everything clears!

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

EFI Logics has suggested that I might want a "hybrid tune" whereas I was straight speed density on the last motor's tune. I don't know what hybrid implies. Since I am fabbing the CAI and intercooler plumbing for the turbo I still need to know whether I need a straight stretch of CAI to have a MAF in or not.
Note: the answer was that I needed the temp sensor just before the throttle body and the MAF was rendered useless.

While doing the intercooler plumbing, with the mockup motor in place, I ran into clearance issues between the throttle body and my Kaminari carbon fiber, reversed intake hood. I am switching from the 19mm KS Tech phenolic spacer to their 13mm spacer kit. To alleviate fuel rail interference, while retaining the 2002 (?) N/A intake, I used modified Cosworth rails. I added Radium dampers to them. On the intake AVCS solenoid valves, I reworked the brackets that straddle the solenoids (trimming away one side of the saddle-like sheetmetal). Then I countersunk the bracket and changed the 10mm hex-head bolt on top of the bracket to flat-head screws so the head's flush with the bracket.
All this allows me to run the 13mm KS Tech manifold spacer and everything barely clears. The left solenoid connector is the tightest spot. I may need to reposition the MAP sensor off the throttle body.
In hindsight a better solution would be to change the throttle body mounting angle on the manifold or weld on an angled tube to the face of the throttle body.
In another hindsight thought: That would not have solved the interference of the fuel rail and the AVCS solenoid. I do have a solution, but it is not tested yet.
Still, right now with everything mocked-up, it won't quite allow me to get the hood pins in! I cut the hood and create a small "bubble" rather than cutting or machining the manifold plenum area.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)

Nearing completion of assembly. About all I have to do is mod the engine wiring harness, drop in the engine and add the O2 and EGT gauges to my center console.
I installed dual Oxygen sensors in V-banded down-pipe. One for the ECU and one for me via Autometer gauge.
I did a V-band connections to the 321 SS tubing up-pipe. Modified Full-Race headers are 316 SS pipe. I added shielding film to the K-B oil pan. Pipes will be wrapped. Oil filter is just for break-in, then I will switch to Canton adapter and remote filter and cooler.

Custom turbo mount and custom water line to cool the turbo.

5/8" Silicone waterline for cooling the turbo. The banjo fitting is custom made.

High quality 1/8" Omega thermocouple installed in header. Light flywheel. Custom Killer B oil pan.

Inconel expansion bellows added to Full Race headers. Oil temperature probe and quick-drain valve in K-B high-capacity, racing, oil pan.

A Peterson external relief valve was placed just before the Canton oil filter block and is connected to the pan with a 24" hose.

Plugged return line in the water pump. Crossover tube and heat exchanger/oil cooler are eliminated and a regular blank plug is used in the block.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)

I will still have hoses from the baffled, 1/2" head vents going to my catch-can which returns oil to the crankcase, but for the larger head breathers and a balance tube between them, I replaced all the rubber hose (shown) with this "T" tube which hugs the case and reduces weight and clutter in the engine compartment.
https://2008subarutrack.shutterfly.com/279
Peterson bypass valve which controls the engine's oil pressure and is easily adjustable, externally was moved off the engine (so the red X)! You can see where the crossover vent tube attaches to the stubby hose and my custom barb is where oil returns to the crankcase from collected blowby. I eliminated the throttle body heating circuit so the nipple is gone fro the water manifold.
I notched the water manifold to clear the SPA oil pressure transducer, installed in the oil gallery on top. It is a strange, less-cluttered landscape. The blue, silicone hose routes the water outlet (which used to go from the water pump to the throttle body) directly to the fill tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

I am about a day away from starting the engine. I had to reposition the radiator coolant expansion tank to the rear because the hood wouldn't close with it over the power steering pump. This is a better location anyway.
V-bands are great in so many ways but you bettered get them aligned right or have a flex-coupling. Otherwise they will not fit together and seal. I had a mock-up engine in the car (that I based my exhaust system and turbo location on) but there were some minor variances (probably due to welding warpages) in the fit of the up-pipe, turbo and turbo bracket so that this made the final assembly in the car difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts

Mind showing off how you mounted your Setrab oil cooler? And how you placed the air ducts! I'm doing an oil cooler soon but I think I'll add an NACA air duct somewhere on the bumper and use the fog light covers for brake duct cooling

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)

Mind showing off how you mounted your Setrab oil cooler? And how you placed the air ducts! I'm doing an oil cooler soon but I think I'll add an NACA air duct somewhere on the bumper and use the fog light covers for brake duct cooling
You might be interested in this, about my first brake cooling mod, before I made the new bumper fascia with the ducts.
You must sign up at Shutterfly but I have a great deal of pictures (and ALL will be revealed if you look at 2008subarutrack.shutterfly.com. There are pictures of the Setrab cooler there.
https://2008subarutrack.shutterfly.com/159

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)

Received my startup MAP from EFI. When I return from my trip I will be breaking in the motor and taking it to EFI for dyno-tuning. ETA, weeks, if not a month away.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

When I first saw them on your car I wondered if they were the stick on fender emblems from autozone that I see on the cars whose owners are of strong hispanic descent. I opted for miniature canards as I thought you happened to come up with something functional for the back half of our cars. =]
I did. Rear spoiler is CF Seibon SKU RS0809SBIMP-STI-S. See post #8.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)

The initial dyno run: Had to install an IAT just before the throttle body so it could be tuned as straight Speed/Density. GM Delphi fast response open sensor #25036751/ACDelco 213-190.
The old, smallish Walbro 255 was not up to the task! A 450 is going in. But at 14 PSI it was making well over 300 WHP! EFI Logic's tuner Mikey Botti thinks it has great potential...
I think in the clip he only took it up to 3K.
With the harsh sound, vibrations and raw intensity of him taking it to 6,000 RPM or more I took two steps back and forgot to record it! :eek:
Dyno video of first run
Update: The Walbro 255 is very marginal for the power I want to make. I actually meant to add an external Walbro 450 with a controller. The fuel starvation was due to goo around the fuel inlet filter. Seems one of my chunks of foam, in the tank, melted. I think I got scammed on Ebay with a piece of foam that wasn't fuel resistant. New 450 is in the tank now.
I'm still waiting for a tune after a couple of failed attempts. It may be that the ID 2000's (2200 CCM) won't get to a low enough pulse width or scale and work with the stock ECU. I thought with my level of build that they would work. Probably would with E85, but I don't want to run it.
ID 1300's are going in. Keeping fingers crossed.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts