IW STi Forum banner

2008 STi Track Car Journal

55K views 87 replies 16 participants last post by  Scargo 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Re: 2008 STi track car Journal

10-16-2011: Front suspension installed. Changing out struts for BC-BR coilovers, new Lower Control Arms and stiffer Whiteline bushings in the front of the LCA's. Notice how the LCA's are red? These LCA's are the upgraded ones that Subaru started using in 2011. So I changed mine out and painted them red in the process. The rear adjustable Agency arms came red anodized so I thought I'd match them
Seats and harnesses are in.

Injector body "TGV deletes". Got rid of the obstructions, smoothed out the passages and matched the manifold and heads with the injector bodies.
Moroso aluminum pan and stiffer motor mounts. Motor mounts were a * to do! Jack the engine up and have only inches of room for your hands and tools. Oil filter bypass block attached.
Bought NOS Setrab cooler for less than half price. Overkill? About 12x12x2 and 40 rows. Has third tap/outlet for sensor. Also will use an Accusump, which is a pressurized reservoir of oil for when oil pressure might get too low.
New higher volume Walbro 255 fuel pump . Ordered adapter kit for Tial Blow-Off Valve to the FMIC on.

On top of what I had on my 2011 I have added:
Ported and blueprinted heads and manifolds/racing valve job/radiused exhaust seats/Manley springs and titanium retainers
Blouch Dominator 2.5 XT-R with 3" air inlet and 8cm turbine A/R
Injector Dynamics - 1000cc
Walbro 255 pump with mounting bracket for in the tank. Upgraded to 450.
Aeromotive 13109 A1000-6 Injected Bypass Regulator.
Agency Power 3" polished aluminum hard turbo inlet AP-GDA-174-3-PL
KS Tech MegaMAF 73mm Big MAF Cold Air Intake
Turbo XS type FMIC (TXS & FMS)
Stock MAF sensor
Turbo XS FMIC
Grimmspeed EBCS
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug LFR7AIX # 2309 (one step colder than STi plug)
Setrab 40 row 12x12x2 oil cooler: 450-550 HP #50-640-7612 12.99"X12.20", 45,000-67,000 btu/hr range, in combination with...
Mocal OT2, 176°F thermostat bypass valve
Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597) Updated by removing the oil heat exchanger and running AN lines up the front of the timing cover.
Canton Remote Oil Filter mount (#22-625 takes Ford style, 3/4-16" thread, filters (I use K&N HP 3001 filters)
Mocal "Titanium" line of AN hose ends have been used throughout along with quite a bit of Racelight hose for -10 AN.
Subaru part 15018aa050, superceded by 15018AA090, which is the oil filter union (or what eliminates the long tube union which is use with the heat exchanger) when used in conjunction with the Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597).
Accusump, two quart
Moroso aluminum pan: Updated to KillerB pan, windage tray and pickup tube
Moroso A/O separator Upgraded to a CRAWFORD A/OS which then breathes into a JEGS breather-catch tank, 555-52201. I empty this after 2-4 hours.
Perrin Crank pulley (updated to a Fluidamper)
TGV delete mod and port matching
Note: The OEM water to oil heat exchanger shown in the photo below was removed and a Canton adapter plate was installed. That with Mocal "Titanium" line of AN hose ends let me run oil lines up the face of the timing cover and over to the Peterson oil pressure relief valve, oil filter block, Mocal thermostatic bypass valve and cooler.

So, I ran this stock engine, dyno-tuned by EFI, for a couple of events. Then in Summit Point while running a EMRA Time Trial I broke ringlands when oil got into the intake via a closed and overflowing, small Moroso A/O separator.
That prompted me to buy a new OEM shortblock and drop CP forged pistons into it. I then did my first head porting in years and had a nice valve job done on them by Kiwi Engineering. This motor has produced 395WHP/391FPT on EFI's dyno. It is (was) currently in the car. It has withstood a brief period of almost one track session at 26+ PSI boost!
All the evap/emissions parts are removed and a loop of fuel line with check valve was installed in the rear to vent the gas tank.
Then I installed the roll cage and started modifying the front end and added the Setrab oil cooler.
I've now removed all the vapor collection system seen in this photo. I have a vent hose loop that goes up to the roof and back down with a check valve on the end.

Modified front bumper facia
I installed two SPA Technique dual/digital gauges to monitor oil pressure and oil temp and water temp and boost.

Attachments

#6 ·

I'm in :D

Just think of the 11 as a sacrifice to the car gods.
It was a wakeup call that I need to check and re-check mechanical things when I am doing a lot of track time. Much of what I do is like Time Trial laps or qualifying for a starting position. I'm not easy on my cars or myself. Smacking a guard rail at over 100 is not fun, even with a six-point harness.

#5 · (Edited)

12-17 update: I've now been running my new "Alpha motor" for over 20 (now 34 as of 9-18) hours. Here are the specs:
Rotated Borg Warner EFR 8374 turbo with .92 turbine A/R. V-flanged turbine outlet
I've modified a N/A RS intake (big, long runners and no TGVs to delete). Running it reversed.
Supertech +1mm valves were installed along with GSC 5043 beehive springs with Ti retainers. I ported the heads myself and deshrouded the areas around the seats in the combustion chambers. CC'd and bench flowed by Heads Up Machine in NY. Flowed average of 284/219 @ .445", max lift
Kelford 220-C cams (272/268 for DAVCS)
ID 2000cc/m injectors > downsized to newly released ID 1300's
CP SC7420, fully coated, forged, 8.2:1 compression pistons @ 528 grams without rings and clips.
Wossner, 498 gram H beam rods, PL024 (Steel: 40 CrNiMoA) with ARP bolts.
Balanced crank, pulley and flywheel assembly.
King XP Racing bearings. Clearances: Mains-1.6 on average/Rods-2.0
Stock bore block with oil galleries and passages ported and/or radiused. Water passages matched and smoothed.
ARP 260-4704 (CA625+ steel) head studs
12mm ported JDM oil pump: Besides porting, I put a deep 10MM back on it, blocked off the pressure relief valve bypass piston with a machined plug (which replaces the spring) and installed:
Peterson #09-0160 external oil pressure bypass valve before filter; bypass return is to KB sump.
Improved design, high flow, closed rotor, Subaru water pump (2002-2004 WRX water pump 21111AA026) Eliminates water inlet from "oil cooler" block.
Walbro in-tank 450 fuel pump and Bosch 0 450 905 021 inline filter added in engine bay.
Aeromotive 13109 A1000-6 Injected Bypass Regulator.
Modified fuel supply lines: Stock feed line restrictions removed! All 6AN size lines, Customized Cosworth rails with Radium fuel dampers.
4" aluminum CAI. 9x8 conical air filter
Ported and modified, 60mm throttle body. Water passages eliminated. Half of throttle shaft eliminated.
Fluidamper Crank Pulley
Killer B oil pan, pickup and windage tray
Subaru part #15018aa050 "oil filter union" used (or what eliminates the long tube union which is use with the oil cooler/heat exchanger) in conjunction with the Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597).

Already in use:
Ron Davis Radiator
"Oil cooler"/Heat Exchanger eliminated. Water lines eliminated (plain case plug used and 21111AA026 water pump used). Subaru part #15018aa050 which is the oil filter union (or what eliminates the long, tube union which is use with the heat exchanger) in conjunction with using the Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597).
Note: Do not overtighten the Canton adapter (tighten much like an oil filter) unless you switch gaskets to a McMaster-Carr #9263K762 Viton O-Ring!

Canton filter mount for Fords, etc.
Royal Purple 30-8A, K&N HP-3001 or K&N HP-2005 oil filter used
2 Qt. Accusump with manual valve
Setrab oil cooler Almost nine quart oil change with filter!
Transmission oil and power steering oil coolers (circular finned style over front wheel-wells)
CRAWFORD A/OS into JEGS breather-catch tank, 555-52201
Turbo XS FMIC
MODIFIED Full Race headers. Custom Up-pipe converted to Twin Scroll for the B-W turbo. Vibrant bellows in-between sides and full V-flange connections from headers to up-pipe.
Custom 3" downpipe with V-flanges and unrestricted V-flanged midsection
3" full-flow exhaust system with three resonators
Probably forgot 'sumpin'...:p

The Accusump is now in the passenger floor area.
See the latest car mods at post 46.
See latest Alpha engine status starting with post 49.

#7 · (Edited)

My front end had a blocked off hood scoop. Hood pins. Enlarged opening for FMIC in facia.
NACA ducts for brake cooling. Opening to the side of the left duct was for air to the oil cooler located in front of the wheel. Blacked out openings had wire mesh over them.
See later posts for current aero configuration with custom bumper facia and CF hood.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
2008 STi track car Journal: planned bodywork

This is basically how I am now configured.
AP Racing CF splitter. Kaminari reverse scoop carbon fiber hood, K081016FCC. 20 pounds lighter hood! About same as aluminum GD hood...
Rear spoiler is Seibon SKU RS0809SBIMP-STI-S. I would not do more unless you have more than 400WHP or close-ratio 5th & 6th. I feel the aero may be slowing me down a bit on top-end but the added stability is worth it.
Current AERO configuration (Lime Rock Park)

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Re: 2008 STi track car Journal: SUSPENSION/WHEELS AND MORE

OLD Suspension modifications and other miscellaneous bits:
Whiteline urethane bushings throughout the car to replace stock bushings. Not all are listed. This is my initial build up of the car in late 2011 to early 2012.

Whiteline 24mm front sway bsf39xz, two hole adjustment
KLC139 Front Sway bar - link assembly
SuperPro adjustable links
Whiteline 24mm rear sways bsr49xxz, three hole adjustment
Blox Adjustable Spherical Rear Sway Bar End Links BXSS-10101-AEL (solid-metal on metal)
2011+ Subaru FRONT lower control arms (LCA) with SuperPro semi-rigid spherical bearing
Whiteline KSR207 Front Steering - rack & pinion mount bushing
Whiteline aluminum front control arm subframe brace
Whiteline adjustable toe rear upper arm bushings.
Whiteline Rear Lateral Toe Arm Adjustable with Toe Lock Kit
Agency Power billet rear lower camber control arms*
Whiteline KBR15 Rear Brace - sway bar mount support
Whiteline W0568 Rear Trailing arm - front bushing
Super Pro SPF3098K Rear Trailing arm - rear bushing (Whiteline does not offer a bushing for this spot)
Whiteline KDT907 Rear Crossmember - mount bushings (set of solid bushings)
Whiteline KCA326 Rear Control arm - upper inner bushing (camber correction)
Whiteline KDT906 Rear Differential - mount in cradle bushing
2013: Added Whiteline KCA313 Camber Kit (roll-center/bump-steer).
2013: Changed to MCS two-way shocks and H&R springs. 650lb front/800lb rear (about 11K/14K). Upgraded camber plates in spring of 2014.

BC BR coilovers with 8K/11.6K F/R or 448/650 lbs per inch. GONE. See MCS two-way shocks update.
Front: BC 62 200 008 (448lb/8K) a 62mm nominal spring (that came with the coil-overs), with 3.4" OD.
Rear: (from Summit Racing) EIB-07002500650 (650lb/11.6K) Eibach springs. 62mm, nominal ID/3.45" actual OD.)
BC BR camber plates, slightly modified on driver's side to allow for max camber.
NOTE: Agency arms must be modified slightly, and have some material ground away, to clear the gas fitting on the bottom of the MCS shocks!
*Spring of 2014: "HVT" Camber Plate for Subaru GR for Coilovers, #810TM-GR-COILOVERS
(Built to MCS spec: Lower spacer bored to 18mm x 7mm depth)
These recess into the engine compartment and recoup a full inch of travel over other camber plates/coilover setups. They seem discontinued as Of 2017. ;(

Kartboy short-throw shifter and all stiffening bushings
Group N tranny mount
Added for 2013: Agency Power Rear Pitch Mount (billet aluminum)
Group N motor mounts

949 Racing's 6ULR race wheels: 6ULR 17x9 +48 ET (offset) History...
Toyo R-888 DOT legal 255x40.
2013: upgraded to 18x10.5" Enkei RPF-01's (38ET) and 285X30 Hoosiers. After these I ran BFG 275/35. Almost identical footprint. BFG's are like 25.6"O.D. Enkei's are 8.94kg/19.7 pounds each.
ADDED: 5mm spacers to the front to allow as much as -3.5° front camber. Now set at -3.2. Otherwise 285-295 slicks rub the coilovers.
5-2017: Added lightweight Enkei RS05-RR wheels (484-8105-6535) in Sparkle Silver (18x10.5) +35ET, 19.7 lbs., to my primary wheel sets. Also run fronts with 5mm spacers.
Note: front fenders have no lip and are stretch a bit to make everything clear; that and big negative camber.
ARP 100-7717 wheel studs: 12mm X 1.5mm, 3" long studs rather than stock 12mm X 1.25mm (which is a finer thread and less common-meaning fewer lug nuts are available for the Subaru stud size, and they can be more expensive).
FYI: The ARP 100-7717 is for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII.

Hawk DTC 70's on the front and 60's on the rear. Also tried 60's on the front and 70's on the rear to try and eliminate all braking waggle.
DBA 5000 rotors and two-piece Girodisc in the back. These rotors are 12.835" in diameter or 326mm. 2013: upgraded front brakes to StopTech Trophy BBK. ST 40's with 355mm (14") rotors.

In 2014 I started running OS Giken racing diffs. They were custom set-up in their CA shop.
Rears: 25/45 refers to the cam angles for the "1.5 way" rear diff's. 25 degrees on deceleration, 45 on acceleration. Lock timing is 376kgs.
The front's "1way" is 3 degrees on decel (effectively ZERO) and 45 degrees on acceleration side. Lock timing is 184kgs.
I still run my stock center diff. I tune it with a DCCDPro, Active Center Differential Controller. I am running an '06 tranny, as I recall. It is the one tranny with the correct rear ratio for the rear diff ratio. It has the internal oil pump. I run the oil out to a cooler in the left fender. This has a close-ratio gearset.

Suspension alignment: -3.2 degrees negative camber in front/-2.4 negative in the rear.
Front caster: 6.9 degrees.
Toe: 0 front, rear is 0, erring to toe in.

#10 ·

I just read, apparently I missed it, where you decided to use a EFR 8374. I'm super stoked to see your progress on this build and turbo selection.

#11 ·

I just read, apparently I missed it, where you decided to use a EFR 8374. I'm super stoked to see your progress on this build and turbo selection.
Thanks. Me, too! I'll be getting parts back from the machine shop in a week. After my 3-30 track day at LRP I will pull the current motor. Not sure how long it will take me to build it and get the fab work done on the turbo and plumbing.

#12 ·

Had a great day at the track! Saturday at Lime Rock Park with NASA.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/3809744-post18.html

If anyone's interested I am looking for a protege or assistant. I'm finding it difficult to do everything I want to do to the car and when I get to the track I could use some help. I trailer the car. Hard to accurately monitor tire temps and pressures, etc. Doing everything by myself turns a fun day into a long, hard day.
I'm willing to find ways to compensate an eager to learn, young racer type. I'm wanting to share my knowledge and perhaps share in the use of the car. I can help you with your car... I will eventually want to sell my STi, as-is. I have a big HP race motor I am about to assemble. Then I will have a spare race motor.
Let me know if you or someone you know would be interested. I'm in the central-southern part of CT. BTW, I am retired. My time is my own.
BTW, I will be at LRP with SCDA on April 8.

#13 ·

Hey I saw your car at lime rock with NASA but didn't get a chance to talk to you. I was there with my near stock 2012 stag 2 swp sti. Nice looking build! I was talking to ?steve I think his name was and you had the rear brake caliper out.

Anyways I would love to help you out but my schedule is a bit busy at this time. If I see you at NASA or scda ill come by and help out. I'm local to danbury so for the most part ill be going to lime rock.

I'm looking to get some coilovers. You think the BR BCs are good enough or should I pull the trigger on some ASTs?

I also looked at your other journal for your 2011 sedan. Did you have track day insurance?

#14 ·

I was talking to ?steve...

Anyways I would love to help you out but my schedule is a bit busy at this time. If I see you at NASA or scda ill come by and help out. I'm local to danbury so for the most part ill be going to lime rock.
I'm looking to get some coilovers. You think the BR BCs are good enough or should I pull the trigger on some ASTs?
I also looked at your other journal for your 2011 sedan. Did you have track day insurance?
Yes, it was Steve Hanford. He is a good friend and I would recommend him as a Subie track instructor, especially at Lime Rock and especially since he understands the handling and idiosyncrasies of Subarus! He has and will be instructing my son in my car. I will be at LRP Monday for a track day with SCDA. I will run advanced and my son, intermediate. My son is just staying with me temporarily. This will be his third track day; my car always gets a hard workout when we share it! Sometimes Steve and I get to play tag.
I have found the BC BR coil-overs to be adequate for now. You may be able to custom order the spring rates you want as you buy them. I think Import Image did that for me. I have them on medium damping and have the spring upgrades 8/11+, as noted in the specs. It's actually pretty streetable at that spring rate but you might loose the coffee in your cup, if you know what I mean...:eek:
I may eventually want to change some sway/spring combos around, but this would be for serious high HP TT stuff.
A lot will depend on what weaknesses are exposed when I run at 450+ WHP and put it down with 285x30 Hoosier R6's.

I actually got Geico to pay for my wreck with the help of a lawyer. Not that they normally would have to, but I had a group/family plan and the "no racing" exclusion was left out. I was lucky.:D

#15 ·

Yah i took a ride with steve as my instructor didn't have his car ready to drive that day. Steve was very good and had a lot of helpful hints. Yes i would like to have him as an instructor the next time around. Does he instruct for NASA only? does he instruct for SCDA as well?

Don't want to instruct your own son? or just to get a different point of view?

Yah did a lot of research with the insurance and i'm pretty sure GEICO would not pay for a crash at the track as i have them. Went with ontrack insurance, but it would get expensive every time with them. You are lucky to get coverage...nice!! Any coverage on your hatch now?

#16 · (Edited)

Shhhh!;) I don't have it insured because it is a race car... But, if I wanted to take the Bimmer or my Prius :rofl: to the track, I think they would be covered. We received no new rider/change from the insurance company after the incident.

I am not an instructor. Most of my close track friends are! Three with Subarus!! Four old farts.:cool:
Steve does instruct for many organizations. SCDA (mainly), plus NASA, EMRA, Porsche clubs, BMW clubs, etc. He's approved at the highest level. He's a cool headed instructor, but if you act like an idiot he may pound on your dashboard... Never pounded on mine, but he says he has a time or two. I don't think I have the temperament for instructing. :p I don't know if I could be comfortable enough in a car trusting my life to a potentially wild-driving person I just met. I don't suffer fools lightly.

#17 · (Edited)

4-8: Ran an all-time best 1:02 lap or better at LRP.
I wanted to update this by saying that I intend to install a swirl pot and realized that the Bosch 044 (by itself), may not be sufficient for feeding the new engine. I now plan on running two of them and will have the second one on a boost-based delay timer.
I came across this today: 2007 STI Build With Borg Warner Full Race EFR TS 8374 Pics added 1/21 of turbo - NASIOC where a guy used the same turbo (don't know the hot side size), in a mild motor and made big HP at moderate boost!
I'm having a kind of Oh My God moment when I realize I could have a bad-ass motor when I'm done.:eek:
Update: I did not go with a swirl-pot yet. I put foam blocks in the tank. I am seeing that I can go below a half-tank and not have it cut.

#18 · (Edited)

18X10.5 Enkei Racing PF 01's with 38 ET and 285x30 Hosier R6 tires.
Some pulling is required in rear, but doesn't look like it will be too severe. Fronts may work as-is!
More to come... Stoptech Trophy, anodized, racing BBK on it's way as well as CF hood and spoiler. FRP bumper and canards, too.

#19 ·

I've been doing some looking into race tires while bored here lately. What's your take on the Michelin Pilot Sport slicks?

#20 ·

I've been doing some looking into race tires while bored here lately. What's your take on the Michelin Pilot Sport slicks?
Guess I don't have a take other than for a DOT tire I've thought the Hoosier R6 were the stickiest. Don't know about wear (yet), but my understanding is they don't heat cycle out (get hard/get greasy) like my 888's do/did and other similar tires do. Have not researched the Michelins and don't know anything about them other than I run the Super Sports on my car as my rain tire. They are great for the damp/wet conditions. Scared the piss out of a Bimmer instructor (didn't want to ride with me after a few laps), with those tires in the wet.:D

BTW, I'm not finding it very hard to get my setup to clear. Not much more than a full roll and a little bit of pounding... The stresses on the suspension and tires, once I get it on the track at speed/G's, may prove me wrong.:p

#24 · (Edited)

A litle slow in reporting, but I was away for three weeks...
The car did great for two days at Watkins Glen on April 29th and 30th. I ran into Chris Rall an instructor's instructor who had instructed me early on when I first got into track days with my first STi. He installed data-logging gear and a camera on my car. Then I drove and then he drove, so we could compare. I did not have a passenger seat in the car...
First, my new wheel/tire combo and suspension geometry changes:
The front tires only clear by less than 3/16" inside. That is, with 3.4° front and 2.6° rear negative camber and with 3.4" inch outside diameter coil-over springs. The bottom of the spring perch locking ring may be the closest spot.
Front springs are "62mm" nominal and 450 lbs with a 3.4" OD. The fenders are rolled and pulled and everything barely clears. I would estimate that there might be more that could be pulled but not much. I doubt you can fit a bigger sized tire wheel combo on a GR STi without flares. It is tight!
The 285 Hoosier R6's are nice. Chris Rallo, an instructor/sometimes racer, turned conservative 2:09's at Watkins Glen and that was with the car having some minor alignment and braking issues to be fixed. I could not get more than 3.4 degrees out of the left side, but 3.6 out of the right, so I had the aligner do both sides at 3.4. When I got home I ground out the camber plate so I could get more movement and reset both to 3.6°. During that process I had to readjust the toe and I think the toe was out a little too much. I will recheck that.The upshot was the car turned "right now!" It was a little darty. Required a lot of concentration and control.
Given all the changes I made the results were gratifying.
UPDATE, 9-9-13:
Corded my RR Hoosier on the inside. These were my first 285x30 R6 compound Hoosiers and my first experience with the Hoosiers and this soft a compound. Equivalent of six track days, if you count Chris' driving it at Thunderbolt and WGI as one day's wear. Probably a little too much camber in the rear (-2.6) or basically, too few left-handers(?). My impression is it was dragging the inside of the RR too much on right-handers because it just exposed the cord right at the edge and kind of rolled up the rubber, exposing the steel, but not wearing into it yet. Shame on me that I did not catch this early-on. I have a tire temp gauge; just didn't use it!
Surprisingly, the other three look like they have a day or two left on them. Possibly, at 39-40 max, they were a tad under-inflated? There is still some groove left on both sides of the fronts. The LF looks amazingly good and the best of the lot. The extra wear on the RF might be from the left-hand, tire eating, understeering "Octopus" on Thunderbolt. OTOH, It's hard to imagine that the corners of some of the other tires are far behind the RR (like the LR), since inflation was the same, all-round.

#27 · (Edited)

Thought I'd give a brief update and share a couple of shots of my car and a video from last week's four days at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

My best lap at Lightning was a 1:12. I did my first day on Thunderbolt and really liked the longer and more technically challenging course. Best time there was 1:35. Chris did a 1:32.
Video of three STi's playing on Lightning: NJMP play 6 23 - YouTube #17 is Matt... Misplaced info he gave me. Car handled very well and with only a Cob tune, it still went pretty well. The other blue STi is Steve Hanford, a good friend and an excellent Subaru instructor, if you ever need one. His car is track prepared. He is waiting on bigger wheels/tires to arrive and he is down some on power, compared to me. It was a fun time chasing them and clearly not a fair match.
I finished the brake duct mods to the fiberglass bumper facia.

Details of locating remote oil filter/cooler and thermostatic bypass valve.

Attachments

#29 ·

How difficult would it be to add windshield sprayers to your hood?
I would think it would be easy. I did the hood pins without any issues.
I would think drilling two holes would be easy. The underside mimics the stock form.

#32 · (Edited)

1- Damn !!!!

2- Subbed .. late to the party.. yes, i know

3 - DAT BONNET !!! ( Reversed scooped / drop vent ) WHERE or FROM WHO HAVE YOU SNUFFED THIS FROM !!!!!!?

4 - B/W 79lbs/min ....... Damn Son !
LOL. Glad to have you take a look.
Hood is Kaminari.
Rear spoiler is Seibon SKU RS0809SBIMP-STI-S
Yep; can't wait to get it built and see if it will light up those 285's!:D
Am about to buy JRZ coilovers.
Cheapo BC BR's aren't cutting it.

#33 ·

How often are u at njmp. Haven't seen the car there before.
Not that often. Did two days with Track Daze and two with SCDA, back-to-back.
I've done Lightning before, but I'd not been on Thunderbolt before. I had a dark metallic gray '11 sedan. I was there in 2011 with it and towards the end of the day I had a fire that involved the plastic belly pan; caused by a header to up-pipe gasket failure. My son and I doubled up that day and that was the only time I had previously run at NJMP.
I like Thunderbolt!
More often than not I am at Lime Rock or Watkins Glen. I've done 9-10 track days this year. I'm from S-central CT.

#34 · (Edited)

Did not go with JRZ shocks. About to mount Motion Control 2 way adjustable shocks with 7", 700/800 springs in 2.25 I.D.
That and I'm adding the Whiteline KCA313 Camber Kit (roll-center/bump-steer).
Then I'm off for three days at Watkins Glen starting 9-27!

EDIT: I ended up with H&S springs on the car 650 on the front and 800 on the rear. I think this combo helps the car rotate a little easier.

#36 ·

^^ what event is at the Glen 9/27? I could use a track day, I'm in Binghamton.
Sorry for the late reply. It's a NASA event. I'm also going to be at Lime Rock on the 19th, with SCDA.

Got my MCS shocks and they look mighty purdy and well-made.
Just ordered a Driveshaft Shop CF driveshaft.

#38 ·

keep us updated on the mcs setup. I'm thinking of getting those
I am having lots of issues. Some issues are easy to resolve while others, like my ride height, are not.
There are no brackets on the front for the brake line or wheel sensor line. Spacers for the rear lower mount are too long, by exactly .1 inch. Fortunately, I have a lathe at my disposal.
I have issues with the fronts working with my BC camber plates. I will need adapter/spacers for them or buy new camber plates. Even new camber plates don't guarantee I will get the adapters or sizes I will need for these beefy shafts and large threaded ends.
I will be talking to the distributor in the morning to see what can be done.
NOTE: As far as I can tell (because of my limited exposure to high-end motorsports parts), these are the real deal and are well-made and beefy. Very high quality workmanship! The height doesn't adjust, like my BC-BR's do. Thus, you need to know what you want for ride height.
They do not come with bump-stops, or dust covers, or plastic spring holders/shims. They do not come with springs; those are extra...
To be continued...

#39 ·

MCS coilovers are working very nicely with the 650/800 pound springs. Springs ended up being a little loose at full-droop, to get the ride height I wanted, but I may never experience full-droop on the track.:eek:
Car is steadier under hard braking. Handled very nicely through the bus-stop at WGI, when going onto the rumble strips. In the toe (of WGI's "boot", track segment), I was faster than many cars. I think it was because the car was virtually neutral and pulling hard uphill with all fours. The car is relatively neutral right now. I can get the back end out occasionally and there is little feel that it pushes. I am running the diff in auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.