IW STi Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Do you think SOA will cover this since its a 2011 with only 10.5k?? Especially because this looks like it just flaked off...

Looks like a re-paint. Somebody should be covering that.

^ yikes! i'm sure they'll take care of you on this one...

i'm hoping my 2011 doesn't look as bad as some of the ones in this thread.
Unless you use more paint protection than stock, you are going to have chipping issues.

·
Registered
757 Posts
dont cheap out on paint protection. Pay the ~1000 dollars and get some seriou 3m work done and use some type of mudflap. Im hoping my RA mudflaps and 850 dollars worth of 3m will protect me through the winter haha

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just an update, subaru did cover my paint chipping. they ordered me a new fog light bezel...as for the 3m i dont like it at all...after one winter you can def see it stand out way more now.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just an update, subaru did cover my paint chipping. they ordered me a new fog light bezel...as for the 3m i dont like it at all...after one winter you can def see it stand out way more now.
Glad to hear that your flaking problem is covered. Having come from the paint world in my previous profession, I can confidently state that those pictures show adhesion issues = warranty.

About the 3M protection, mine has been on for almost 2.5 years and our climate ranges from +35c in the summer to -45c in winter. Lots of sand and gravel. Not much worse environment than that - and my clear bra is still perfect and near invisible, other than the odd dent in the film that otherwise would be a paint chip. Highly recommend this stuff.

Maybe you got a bad install or dud batch?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone seen issues with the '12's with their paint? My car is 5 months old and I noticed that at the edge of the hood and the bottom edge of the trunk there are small paint chips. I'm worried these will grow over time.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Paint chipping is an issue with any car. Subaru paint has been very soft for years and still will be. You could buy a 50k$ car or 75k$ car and still have paint chip issues. Just so you know.

Your best bet is to take some preventative measures and use some film for the front bumper, hood, fenders :D or just vinyl wrap the entire car :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Paint chipping is an issue with any car. Subaru paint has been very soft for years and still will be. You could buy a 50k$ car or 75k$ car and still have paint chip issues. Just so you know.

Your best bet is to take some preventative measures and use some film for the front bumper, hood, fenders :D or just vinyl wrap the entire car :D
I understand paint chipping is not totally avoidable but some of the people that posted in the beginning had their paint chipping shortly after taking delivery of the car at the dealer. One of the posters had 900 miles and 2k miles, one poster said this was some sort of TSB or paint defect I dont know if there is any truth to that but I just didnt want to get the car and have major paint issues just doing basic street driving before I get to my first oil change :(

·
Registered
883 Posts

Well stated. Most will notice that higher end/faster car owners usually go with protective film. Even a fly hits the car harder in a car that goes faster frequently, so additional protection just makes sense.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Add me to the list

2013 DGM with 4,000 miles, scratching to shit....Clear bra'd since day one and I have babied the crap out of it (garaged, etc).

Repainting the hood, bumper, fenders and having them FULLY bra'd (even though I am not very impressed with it).

Between this and the ringland failures, I'm REALLY regretting this car. If I fail a ringland, I'm out :mad:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Add me to this list.

I knew about the horrendous paint job of Subie only after buying it but man I walked out today and noticed some white nicks on my bumper, thought it was debris. WRONG. Uber paint chipping. :(

Gah! My 2006 G35X went through 4 NE winters without so much as a salt truck nick! This is weak.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well my 13 STi has really bad paint apparently. 420 miles on it right now this happened either thursday night or friday morning. I noticed it after I got out of work on friday.
WTF? That's not due to bad paint. it looks like someone shot your car with a pellet gun or something... :eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have one giant chip on end of hood where the headlights meet.
Others are small on the side near the door.

I've had other cars where people complained of chipping and I've never experienced it myself with my driving habits.
This is first car i've owned that chips pretty easily.

I've avoided clear bras cause I have a friend that got it for his car, then a couple months later a big rock fell off a construction truck and cracked the front bumper of his car.
Not only did he have to pay out of his own pocket to replace the bumper, he had to pay again for the clear bra. Too much $$...

Maybe i'll wrap the car or plasti-dip it one day

161 - 180 of 181 Posts