IW STi Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
i like the new one i think it looks fine there needed to be some change it can't always be the same.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I hate how the 08's center console looks...
Couldn't agree more. The 08 interior aesthetic is the ONLY thing I don't like about my new STI. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, the interior layout is plenty functional... I appreciate having the NAV/radio higher up, as are the air vents are well positioned. Other than that, the entire dash design looks and feels terrible to me.

Big swooping "wings" from the doors to center console, which itself protrudes enough without the silver trim. Scrunched instrument cluster, (due to?) horizontal side vents (functional, looks wrong). Offset STI logo in the tachometer. Cheap plastics abound (doors cards/center console/dash). Leather-alcantara hybrid seats, while plenty comfortable and supportive, are hardly a step above the blue alcantara in terms of aesthetics IMHO.

Again, don't get me wrong. If I didn't love everything else about my new STI... there is no other car I'd rather drive (at my current salary). I am, however, looking forward to the major redesign... doubt even the two year refresh can do anything to save it as is. Long live the 05-07 interior!:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
The wider-than-DIN radio sucks, but a $65 real DIN-sized dash panel from Japan is solving that.
Really?!?

Until (unless) aftermarket companies come out with 7" wide head-units, it's unfortunate current STANDARD double-DIN units have a gap on each side...

If there is a factory-oem part which will accommodate standard double-din without spacers??

·
Registered
528 Posts
Really?!?

Until (unless) aftermarket companies come out with 7" wide head-units, it's unfortunate current STANDARD double-DIN units have a gap on each side...

If there is a factory-oem part which will accommodate standard double-din without spacers??
Yep, it looks like it. I noticed in the JDM accessories brochure that they showed a single-DIN radio installed with a factory surround spaced properly for that. Go to the brochure here: SUBARU : アクセサリー > デジタルカタログ | IMPREZA WRX STI, then click the Next button twice to goto the third page.

I then went to Japanparts.com to see if they listed it, and while it doesn't show a picture I ordered this part: japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE, which is listed as a "AV Panel, to change to a single-DIN radio".

I'll let you guys know what I end up getting when it arrives.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ordered this part: japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE, which is listed as a "AV Panel, to change to a single-DIN radio".

I'll let you guys know what I end up getting when it arrives.
Darn! It's single DIN. Was hoping it was a standard width double-din bezel. Having all that space, I can't see installing a single DIN setup.

Ah well, I'm sure there will be plenty who prefer single DIN. Good find! Thanks for the reply.

/back on topic

·
Registered
528 Posts
Darn! It's single DIN.
That's what they say in their broken english description, but the one in the picture is of a proper double-DIN opening with only a single-DIN radio in it and a pocket beneath it. I am assuming that they say single-DIN because they don't realize that the stock radio isn't double-DIN, or because they are alluding to the single-DIN nav radio that Subaru offers over there so that you can also fit their single-DIN gauge setup.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They are alluding to the single-DIN nav radio that Subaru offers over there so that you can also fit their single-DIN gauge setup.
Ahh, no kidding. Maybe there is hope for folks who would like a standard, oem-looking, double-din bezel... if there is room for two standard single-din units. Looking forward to your report of how it looks/works.

/Sorry for going off topic again!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Couldn't agree more. The 08 interior aesthetic is the ONLY thing I don't like about my new STI. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, the interior layout is plenty functional... I appreciate having the NAV/radio higher up, as are the air vents are well positioned. Other than that, the entire dash design looks and feels terrible to me.

Big swooping "wings" from the doors to center console, which itself protrudes enough without the silver trim. Scrunched instrument cluster, (due to?) horizontal side vents (functional, looks wrong). Offset STI logo in the tachometer. Cheap plastics abound (doors cards/center console/dash). Leather-alcantara hybrid seats, while plenty comfortable and supportive, are hardly a step above the blue alcantara in terms of aesthetics IMHO.

Again, don't get me wrong. If I didn't love everything else about my new STI... there is no other car I'd rather drive (at my current salary). I am, however, looking forward to the major redesign... doubt even the two year refresh can do anything to save it as is. Long live the 05-07 interior!:)
Yes i second that!

I'm fine (although not a big fan of it) with the overall design and layout of the dash, but the plastic used is just too cheap! They should have used soft touch synthetics just like the GDs if they wanted to improve the feel of the cabin (like they said). I mean just look at the Legacy, thats what i call a quality interior! :tup:

Heck, even a forester's doorcards look better IMO. The fabric trim at least stretches from the armrest to the sides of the doorcards unlike the Impreza's stingy use of alcantara on the armrest.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts