IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to decide between 2007, 2008, 2014, or when released, 2015 WRX STi. I am far from rich, trust me on that one, but from the little I read, the 2007 is more rally-racing influenced than the subsequent models, especially the hatchback version and the 4-dr version they released recently, due to demand of the '07 model. However, I want to keep stock and I was curious about reliability. I know this car would not be as reliable as my former '91 Honda CRX Si, but would be more fun I believe. I miss that CRX! Anyway, since the '07 purists have said, the Sedan is more fun to drive than the '08 Hatchback, although, the '08 was supposed to handle better in dry conditions, due to wider tires (Fenders Flared), redesigned suspension, etc....people said, the '07 was more rally influenced than the luxurious '08 in comparison. Therefore three questions I have for anyone who can help:

1) I know all these models are fun to drive, but how does the '07 compare, as far as, drive and feel when cornering, snow driving (I see these cars in this snow storm, with Snow Tires, and I kick myself for not having one of those cars i.e. STi) versus the newer STi's? I understand everyone has an opinion on this, but could use a perspective or two on this.

2) Potential reliability issues I could face now that the car is 7 years old - '07 STi

3) Where can I find a blue 2007 STi that has low mileage - stock! I have seen firsthand what modified cars feel like after age.

Before I consider an '07, what would I be missing with the newer model STi's? I also believe, between 2011 and 2014, Subaru brought back the 4-dr sedan based on folks missing the '07.

Lastly, I was wondering if Subaru was going back to Rallying with the new model coming out and all. I believe, they discontinued after a disappointing '08 or '09 season? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: 2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan)

I'm interested in knowing the differences between the various models as well, bumping this for visibility!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
1) I know all these models are fun to drive, but how does the '07 compare, as far as, drive and feel when cornering, snow driving (I see these cars in this snow storm, with Snow Tires, and I kick myself for not having one of those cars i.e. STi) versus the newer STi's? I understand everyone has an opinion on this, but could use a perspective or two on this.
You won't notice much difference between them even back to back. Out of the box, the 08+ have more mechanical grip and do better in things like slalom, but have just a touch more understeer if you don't trail brake it well enough.

In regards to snow, I would tip the hat towards the 08+ versions since they have two additional Auto DCCD modes to wring out your particular type of fun.

2) Potential reliability issues I could face now that the car is 7 years old - '07 STi
Ringland issues, mileage issues, potential abuse issues, etc. Dreaded rear strut clunk, PITA to change rear wheel bearings also come to mind. I do my own wrenching, and I personally find the 08+ chassis easier to work on, if that matters to you.

3) Where can I find a blue 2007 STi that has low mileage - stock! I have seen firsthand what modified cars feel like after age.
Good luck. More and more rare with every passing day.

Before I consider an '07, what would I be missing with the newer model STi's? I also believe, between 2011 and 2014, Subaru brought back the 4-dr sedan based on folks missing the '07.
A nicer interior, SI Drive, and a couple additional DCCD modes. If you're not into tuning, then the DAVCS and being able to map various tunes to the SI Drive won't be of much use to you.

Lastly, I was wondering if Subaru was going back to Rallying with the new model coming out and all. I believe, they discontinued after a disappointing '08 or '09 season? Please correct me if I am wrong.
The down turn of the economy was the main reason. They had just redesigned the STI as a hatch at Petter Soldberg's recommendation, but FHI just didn't have it in them to keep dumping tons of money into WRC. Though, they have continued in Rally America the entire time with the hatch design proving widely successful.

http://image.modified.com/f/news/modp-1001-subaru-rally-team-usa-announces-2010-driver-line-up/26588651+w620/modp_1001_02_o+subaru_rally_team_usa_announces_2010_driver_line-up+travis_pastrana_driving_sti.jpg

They will not be returning to WRC, mostly due to regulation reasons. They have shortened the minimum vehicle length, so it's all two-door hatchbacks competing, and Subaru doesn't have one. They could enter the STI, but since it is now longer than the other competing cars it would be at a disadvantage. Also, they have limited engine displacement to 1.6L, which Subaru doesn't have a ready to go variant for. Plus, there is now a maximum of two differentials allowed (no more center diffs), so Subaru's excellent DCCD system is worthless and cannot be used, another disadvantage. The remaining diffs have to be entirely mechanicals, so nowhere for them to adapt and improve the way they did with the DCCD.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As far as a direct comparison for snow driving goes, I just came from a 2007 WRX and I'll say that snow driving felt much easier and more solid in the WRX than my '11 STI. The '07 was more raw and in my opinion was more of a car for those who want to feel the road. The STI is still great in the snow but I don't feel as though I have as much control as I did in the WRX. Both cars driven on the same roads, with the same snow conditions and even the same tires (Blizzaks).

Is the difference night and day? No, but I immediately noticed it. However, take this all with a grain of salt. I haven't messed with traction control in the STI and I've still got DCCD set to auto since I still have some reading to do on it. I'm sure with some adjustments the STI will feel more solid.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They will not be returning to WRC, mostly due to regulation reasons. They have shortened the minimum vehicle length, so it's all two-door hatchbacks competing, and Subaru doesn't have one. They could enter the STI, but since it is now longer than the other competing cars it would be at a disadvantage. Also, they have limited engine displacement to 1.6L, which Subaru doesn't have a ready to go variant for. Plus, there is now a maximum of two differentials allowed (no more center diffs), so Subaru's excellent DCCD system is worthless and cannot be used, another disadvantage. The remaining diffs have to be entirely mechanicals, so nowhere for them to adapt and improve the way they did with the DCCD.
that's nice information sabrewings. i didn't know that. i thought it was all about funding issues for subaru. why is the wrc limiting and making things "smaller"?

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 07 STi 4 door had 98000 on it when I traded it in for my 13 5 door. The 07 only had a airbox with everything else stock. Car was great. Only the left rear wheel bearing went. Other than brakes and tires.
Got 19000 for it from the dealer I got my 13 from. It was on the lot for 5 days and sold for 23000. The 07 handled great and being a ski patroller in PA, I took it through a lot of crappy dirt/salty roads. Never got stuck and the thing would go around corners like there was no tomorrow. When you see people push themselves back into the passenger seat, I would just smile.
There was NOTHING wrong with the 07 when I traded it in. It was the fact that I was getting 19K for it plus 3% below invoice (ski patroller discount through subaru) for the 13 that made up my mind. So for me it was bullet proof. Then again I did not do many 5-6 grand launches which is a break me please thing. I used to crank wrenches too so no fun seeing spun bearings. :)

My 13 is faster since it is at stage 2 but not sure if it can handle as good as my 07.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 07 sti and 09 sti
I find my 07 sti much better in snow driving and off road driving then my 09 .
Both vehicles were purchased new.
The 07 is so much more raw .

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
As far as a direct comparison for snow driving goes, I just came from a 2007 WRX and I'll say that snow driving felt much easier and more solid in the WRX than my '11 STI. The '07 was more raw and in my opinion was more of a car for those who want to feel the road. The STI is still great in the snow but I don't feel as though I have as much control as I did in the WRX. Both cars driven on the same roads, with the same snow conditions and even the same tires (Blizzaks).

Is the difference night and day? No, but I immediately noticed it. However, take this all with a grain of salt. I haven't messed with traction control in the STI and I've still got DCCD set to auto since I still have some reading to do on it. I'm sure with some adjustments the STI will feel more solid.
if you haven't messed with the DCCD then its not a good comparison. Full lock the STi should handle snow much better than the WRX

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
OP, I had an 07 tuned to 360 wtq for 4 years and 85k miles and never had any issue ever. great car. I now have an 11 sedan which is basically the same as the 14 and have 40k miles tuned with almost 400wtq and no issues. I like my 11 better due to the exterior and interior styling, fender flares,,fold down rear seats(this is huge) but thats really the only major differences

·
Registered
29 Posts
Test drive a stock 08 hatch today. I have driven my friend's 07 before, I feel the 07 pulls way more harder than the 08, my friend's car is stock, don't know what map he runs tho. I can't understand why there is such a big different, is there can be a big different with just a map tune up? or is because the 07 is simply rawer than the 08?

Anyway, I like the driving feel and look of 07, the spacing of 08. If you don't care about spacing, get the 07.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
that's nice information sabrewings. i didn't know that. i thought it was all about funding issues for subaru. why is the wrc limiting and making things "smaller"?
The idea was to cut cost to attract more manufacturers to enter and reduce carbon emissions. Funding is also a factor because the rally program used to cost Subaru 50 million euros a year to run, spending more money to design a whole new car from scratch will cost even more. The wagon-only STI in 2008 was proof that Subaru was serious, since traditionally STIs have been 2 or 4-doors only. The last 3 years were pretty dismal too, which may have played a role in their decision.

EDIT: I just realized, this thread is over a year old :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
92 Posts
OP- i've owned 3 STIs, an 05, an 08 and now a 14. The GD was a great car, pulled hard and was great in the snow. My first GR was a good car as well. With a stock tune they have a torque dip and slight hesitation around 3K RPMs. You learn to live with it. I could not be happier with the 2014 STI. The handling is certainly better and it was a few more mod cons that make it a better daily driver is rainy, foggy Seattle (heated mirrors FTW!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts