IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 STI with 84k miles with an unmolested motor. As far as I know, there hasn’t been any engine parts replaced. The car still runs strong, but I wanted to know where I should start with replacing parts? I’m planning on throwing a cobb stage 2 kit in it. So I don’t want issues with the motor once I do so.. thoughts?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I think you should first look into doing maintenance on the car prior to modding it. Look at the drive belts and replace as needed. Change all the fluids (Trans and diffs). Even change the brake fluid. Look over the brakes and tires. Take care of any oil or fluid leaks. Look into replacing the PCV valve if it hasent been done. When was the last time spark plugs were replaced? If they haven't been done, now would be a good time to do it. While you are there, might as well do a compression test prior to modding just so you know how healthy the engine is.

·
Registered
350 Posts
84k miles means its time for a timing belt, idlers, water pump, tranny fluid flush, rear diff flush, clutch fluid and brake fluid bleed, new rotors if they haven't been done and pads, spark plugs.

You should also give all joints a once over as even though miles are lower, the car is quite old. Depending on what state you live in, some of them will need work. Listen very closely for clunks in the suspension, depending on how it was driven (dirt roads etc) its likely time for new coils.

You should compression test it while you have the plugs out. Make sure you get the OEM timing kit, Rock Auto has it.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Because you don't know its history: a lot of what revingfool wrote:

84k miles means its time for a timing belt, idlers, water pump, tranny fluid flush, rear diff flush, clutch fluid and brake fluid bleed, . . . spark plugs.
Inspect brakes; replace as necessary. This is true once in a while of any car once in a while.
Compression and leak-down will provide one indicator of life.

Cobb stage 2 will make quite a difference in that car. You won't appreciate how much if you haven't driven it for a while. Learn to use the AP and monitor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just bought a 2006 STI with 84k miles with an unmolested motor. As far as I know, there hasn’t been any engine parts replaced. The car still runs strong, but I wanted to know where I should start with replacing parts? I’m planning on throwing a cobb stage 2 kit in it. So I don’t want issues with the motor once I do so.. thoughts?
Hoses!

·
Registered
273 Posts
In addition to all that's been mentioned above, note that the (plastic endtank) radiator on my STi popped ~8 years of age...examine your cooling system carefully.

Essentially anything rubber should be inspected carefully too, ready for replacement. related to the above, the rubber hose for the Oil Cooler just cracked and gave up the ghost on my 2006 about 3 months ago. luckily this time it was a "small" problem that was caught immediately. With so many heat cycles, the rubber is probably plasticized by now...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea Im literally looking at Mishimoto ancillary, intercooler, and a turbo inlet houses right now for my 07. They are on sale on rallysport right now. Pick up oil line by killer B, and an AOS

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a recent older STI owner, bought a 2008 WRX STI Hatch. With 58K on it. I've since done the following for service:
  • 60K Service (Diff, Coolant, Oil, Spark Plugs)
  • Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
  • Low Pressure Power Steering Hoses
  • Power Steering Fluid (suggested in 60k), I replaced the rack with a 2015 STI Rack, through in bushings.
  • Also, did the 100K Service (Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioners).
Even with all of this done, I had the plastic end-tank on my radiator broke just this past Tuesday. It's back in the shop now, getting a Koyorad put in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok, thanks for the input and heads up! I will definitely try and get all the hoses and other worn-out parts etc to prevent any breakdowns ASAP...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yea Im literally looking at Mishimoto ancillary, intercooler, and a turbo inlet houses right now for my 07. They are on sale on rallysport right now. Pick up oil line by killer B, and an AOS
The mishimoto hoses are garbage, spend a little more and buy samcos. I made the mistake with mishimoto parts (hoses, rad) and had fitment and leak issues with all that crap.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Lots of good info here. Compression and leak-down are a must though, if you truly want to know the engine's health.

Like MikeB313 said, the Mishy stuff is garbage. In fact most replacement silicone hoses are garbage unless you look for the higher end stuff. Personally, I would recommend using OEM hoses as they are made to last 100K miles; far longer than aftermarket stuff. Make sure when you change the hoses, you clean the barbs and replace the spring clamps with new ones. Buy good stuff now, save time/money later :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts