IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car sit for a few weeks due to Covid 19 and battery was pretty drained and wouldn't turn over . It was old enough to warrant a new battery so I took it out and got a new one. After the replacement battery the car will not start. You can turn the ignition half way to get the gauge to start up. The tach and speedo do the start up dance and my access port shows 12v on live battery section. The radio will come on and everything looks to be fine. If you try and turn the car over to start it everything cuts out. The gauge cluster looks as if the battery is almost dead and all lights but the door open turns off and even that light is very dim. Remove key and close the door and come back and its ready to start over. I think...(think) all of the grounds are connected and ive cleaned the battery connectors really well. I would assume if I can turn the key half way to get the radio and gauge to come up and work that the battery and ground are good. Not sure if the starter would be bad since power just dies or if a fuse or something else would be bad that only effects the car when engaging the starter.

Any ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
Bad connection(s), bad or discharged battery, or bad starter . . . you have to trooube shoot to determine.

Starter draws a lot of current. Your gauge cluster does not. Becuase

You can turn the ignition half way to get the gauge to start up. The tach and speedo do the start up dance and my access port shows 12v on live battery section. The radio will come on and everything looks to be fine. If you try and turn the car over to start it everything cuts out.
I'm betting poor connections. Are they tight? Can you move (rotate) the terminals on the battery?

Not sure if the starter would be bad since power just dies or if a fuse or something else would be bad that only effects the car when engaging the starter.
Your starter is drawing current. Not a fuse.

Reactions: CHESTYC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad connection(s), bad or discharged battery, or bad starter . . . you have to trooube shoot to determine.

Starter draws a lot of current. Your gauge cluster does not. Becuase

I'm betting poor connections. Are they tight? Can you move (rotate) the terminals on the battery?

Your starter is drawing current. Not a fuse.
Well that was the issue..After torquing the nuts again it started right up. Never would of guessed my connection was not tight enough. Thanks a bunch for a second pair of eyes. Much appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts