IW STi Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My question is why would a steering rack cause loss of power to the pedal and not the power steering?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm going to catagorize the above as missing information in the original post. Not sure what are are picking up, gonna guess a steering rack. Anyone want odds that it fixes the to original issue?
My bad forgot to add you

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
We don't even have a conclusive answer yet . . .

But my initial thought was that you were idling at light You begin to accelerate. but at the same time the power steering for some reason produces so much drag it is "holding things back". I'd think the engine would overrride it and "win" . But we aren't here to understand exactly what it feels like. Perhaps it was a poor guess - it was just a guess. Anyway now you tell us you know there is something wrong with the power steering . . .

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
We don't even have a conclusive answer yet . . .

But my initial thought was that you were idling at light You begin to accelerate. but at the same time the power steering for some reason produces so much drag it is "holding things back". I'd think the engine would overrride it and "win" . But we aren't here to understand exactly what it feels like. Perhaps it was a poor guess - it was just a guess. Anyway now you tell us you know there is something wrong with the power steering . . .
I believe that it would have to do with the power steering pressure. Im not sure how its set up on GD or other STI but on other cars ive seen bad power steering switches and or ps components causing drivablity issues. Im some cases the ECU will see high PS pressure and try to make engine adjustments. Again this is not specific to sti but rather in general automotive so id like to think this could still apply. I still think the OP should be inspecting the exterior steering shaft for any binding in the joints before throwing a steering rack at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I believe that it would have to do with the power steering pressure. Im not sure how its set up on GD or other STI but on other cars ive seen bad power steering switches and or ps components causing drivablity issues. Im some cases the ECU will see high PS pressure and try to make engine adjustments. Again this is not specific to sti but rather in general automotive so id like to think this could still apply. I still think the OP should be inspecting the exterior steering shaft for any binding in the joints before throwing a steering rack at it.
Interesting I never gave that a thought i just swapped the rack out yesterday so I’ll bleed it today get another alignment and start making more lefts. I’ll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh my bad dude was not trying to argue was just trying to see if you had an explanation for why it would be the power steering. Thanks for helping

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Alright bled the rack got an alignment car did it at 3/4 of a tank full. I think I’m down to three parts left. Two G sensors and the vdc box thing for the brakes

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Jeeze - sorry you having to work so hard and pay so much . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Jeeze - sorry you having to work so hard and pay so much . . .
Lol its no biggie. Mine was leaking and going bad So I’m not mad. However if i change these two sensors and it still does it. I will be very mad

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Wondering if it will run with either removed.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Don't think you'll hurt the DCCD in a couple of minutes of easy driving. Pretty sure the thing to worry about is heat. Don't use it, just test. Also if it runs, I bet it goes full open anyway.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts