IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
OEM STI rods were successfully sold...next will be the BBBB pistons.

The machine shop may finish the rotator balance and the oil clearance on the new Manley rods.

If all goes well, should execute block assembly in a week.

Still waiting for a response from the tuner...hmmm.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Next will be the OEM pistons on sale...

Update on the balance...all checked out in good shape.

Crank balance was only "slightly off." Still cost me ~$200. :)

Rod oil clearance with the same rod bearings from the OEM rods (new) turned out nearly perfect. They moved a few shells around to get an exact to my request: .0018 inch.

I think my request for fine tuning clearances was likely fairly easy for the shop as they stated, "you've got good stuff here." Glad they approved.

Looking forward to assembling in the next couple of weeks-not as quickly as I hoped, but then again the cars still works as advertised.

I did just hit 174,000 miles...winding it to 7000 rpm on the on ramp in second gear. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow. Just wow. Very nice to see someone buy a STi brand new, keep it, maintain it, abuse it and now build it.

Very clean car sir.

I'm in the Tampa area as well. I don't think I've seen you around. Just bought an '05 STi as a project. Hopefully I'll see you at autocross one of these days.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Greeting JuanWins!

We've got an autocross Sunday at Brooksville with FAST.

FAST | Autocross

Who do you run with?

I'm only able to get out once a month, unfortunately.

Appreciate the comments...frustrated I've not got further on the engine build when I've got all the pieces for assembly...except time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Autocross came and went...success! Course was a hi tact concrete runway...with fresh layer of blown dust. I drew first of 4 run groups...so cleaned the course for the regular fast guys. Great fun...hadn't counter-steered in this car that much in years.

The route was very friendly to the car and resulted in #3 of 59 entrants...car 1 and 2 came on a trailer and slicks.

Results Link:

http://drivefast.org/wp/Results/2015/2015_04_12_By_Time.pdf

Quite happy...I can't expect much more. Amazing the near 175,000 mile engine keeps running like a top. The Rivals did better than expected too...now right at 10,000 on them (on the wear bars though).

1/4th the grid...(1LE Camaro in the rear):

Look at that dust!

Small slide...great fun!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdcp6fINpA

One interesting tidbit was I shifted 8 times during this run...lots of heel toe...in a slide in several cases...gets the adrenaline going!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
looks like a quick course!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
It was quick...especially for a runway, but the club keeps it short so the throughput to run two separate events in one day.

I'm not a fan...we rarely get more than 5 runs...

I'm sure adding the turbo will only make it slower (spool, etc).

:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
OEM pistons sold...

Started to file gap the Cosworth piston rings...Top ring looks good...2nd ring is too big! I will check the other bores...but likely need different rings. I would like min spec for my build.

Machine shop measured the Cosworth pistons...looks pretty good tolerance:

Hit a nice mileage mark on the way to work at 0530:

Original engine...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Let things rest for a day as well as purchased a new feeler gauge.

Went back to check my work and took images of the numbers as requested by RallySport.

GAP TOP SECOND

I want the gaps to be the minimum since I'm not going to be hitting any crazy HP numbers.

Goal is .012 for top ring and .015 for the second ring. I'm not satisfied on 2 of the top rings and all 4 of the second rings. I could let the top rings slide, but since I'm pursuing another ring set.

Surprising as this bore is on the smaller side (piston to wall is tight @ .0025). Maybe a bad batch???

I did test fit the cylinder heads and the ARP studs...no issues.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
RallySpec engaged Cosworth and a new set of rings is shipping.

Hopefully those are on target...my ring grinder is standing by ready.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Rings arrived...2nd Day Air-good deal.

This weekend will be some work.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Do work........

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Got2Boostit: Agreed!

Rings arrived in fine shape where much better, but not exactly my preference. Nonetheless not willing to press further as they numbers are quite close and likely within tolerance of my mistakeness. :)

Final specs:
Cylinder...Top......Second......Oil
1 0.012 0.018 0.008
2 0.012 0.018 0.008
3 0.012 0.018 0.008
4 0.013 0.018 0.008

Again, I had hoped for .012 top and .015 second.

I also weighed/moved pistons to minimize variances on 'bob weight'. The Cosworth pistons were so close in diameter along with the new Subaru case spot on...could move things to get it within 1.6 gram span from lightest to heaviest.

Cylinder # Rings Pin Rod # Solo W/BRG Decrease
1 387.9 24.8 120.8 2462 577.9 609.8 1143.3 77.3
2 387.5 24.8 120.8 2506 578.6 610.5 1143.6 77.0
3 387.8 24.8 120.8 1683 578.0 609.9 1143.3 77.3
4 388.0 24.8 120.8 1878 576.5 608.4 1142.0 78.6

Interesting note: even with these hefty rods, the lightweight pistons still cut 78 grams per cylinder compared to the OEM stuff. Should equal a bit better life on the bearings.

Took this holiday to finally push to bolt the cases together for the final time...

Rotating assembly clean and prepped:

Close up...fun stuff!:

Case washrack...:

Cases dry:

Ready to assemble:

Short block complete (minus pistons)!:

Once I find the Cosworth piston clips, I will install those...bummer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Great experience working with all new items...the aluminum case is intricate and light.

I did feel odd to be working on it on my garage floor...new cardboard though!

After clean up...count 7 cuts to my mitts...that casting is sharp...no I didn't bother to debur it.

Now where are those pin clips...

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Looking good right there!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Took the plunge for the next step:

• 342 Walbro Fuel Pump
• Grimspeed EBCS
• ID850 with Top Feed Conversion
• IAG Billet TGV Deletes
• Process West Top Mount Intercooler
• Blouch 1.5 XTR Turbo (stock mount / 3 inch inlet / 10 cm exit)
• 3 inch Perrin Turbo Inlet
• KSTech 73mm Air Intake

176,000 odd miles on the original turbo / intercooler / fuel pump / injectors....intake has never been off-should be fun!:

Notice low fuel light in preparation for the fuel pump

The parts:

Fuel Pump-I drove with this new pump on the original regulator...noticed no driveability issues. Other cars regulators aren't so tolerant. Very easy switch over.

Old TGV:

New TGV Delete...amazing the difference:

Original VF39 IHI turbo compared to the new Blouch 1.5 XTR (3 inch intake and 10 CM outlet)...the VF39 does have a wastegate crack, but didn't seem to impact performance:

Complete:

I missed one fuel injector electrical connection fully seated (dead cylinder) and so far one air leak at the Process West Intercooler Bypass Valve gasket (PW provided a thin piece of paper...installed old OEM and no more noise)

Thanks to Jason Z for the baseline tune since 'my' tuner has yet to engage me on this project. Jeez...don't get much customer service for $550!

After dealing with that intake...I gave up and traded this pile for this:

J/K...went for a ride in the neighbor's trike...interesting...only $20 grand!?

Hope to get this new turbo on a dyno for programming...possibly the week of 15 Jun. Any guesses on what it might make at 20 PSI? I would like to see 75 WHP bump considering the high mileage engine...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Additionally, with an autocross (season end) on 20 Jun...ordered a set of 245/40-17 Rival 'S''s...supposedly the tire to beat.

Tire Rack had them $70 off with rebate...my current (12,000 mile set) is halfway thru the wear bars...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Dyno day tomorrow...for a tune ($550).

Still concerned with leaks I've created along with will the 177,000 mile engine last.

Performance Race Solutions in Sanford, Florida will be doing the work (smoke test is first).

A bit of a story...very interested in setting a baseline before I did significant work...thus I could go back to the very same dyno for an apples to apples fact on horsepower increase.

So I pay $100 at REV Works for a baseline (Mustang AWD 150 Dyno).

Then I find out the recommended tuner also spends time at Vortex Motorsports in Tampa (40 mins away)...so a month later dyno the car at this location-ends up being free for various reasons (Land and Sea Dyno).

Now 3 months later, turbo, IC, FI installed and the tuner only works at PRS in Sanford! I've already done the work so no baseline to which to compare too. Admittedly, I can (and will likely) do another visit to REV Works for the comparison info.

I came from the Midwest and with only one dyno available (tuned myself), I frequented the Mustang 1750 facility 12 odd times...always the same operator, etc. Too many choices here.

No reason to guess at the increase...will be a mystery since I don't know where it was.

I do hope it don't blow...the new engine is not ready, nor do I have time to do the swap right now.

81 - 100 of 330 Posts