IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Some shots of the red powdercoating on the valve covers...will match the intake manifold as it has some flaking once pulled. Nonetheless, very close to the original finish. They did a very nice job...did not sand blast either with the internal venting that is riveted on (impossible to get the glass beads out-death for an engine!).

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
I just had the powder coat guy plug off the ports as well as the internal opening in the baffle on my valve covers. Seemed to do alright so far.

They look good! Something similar that I can't put my finger on. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The coater employed a DA only. My covers had the riveted air/oil separation areas...that don't seal the length of the channel.

The 'redheads' look great!

My mill surpassed 170,500 on the way to Daytona for the 24 hours...I'm getting antsy to execute this project.

I've got a baseline dyno next week.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dyno apt Wednesday at REV Works in Orlando area on their Mustang Dyno.

Dyno Tuning - AWD Mustang Dyno

Will be installing fresh spark plugs and clean the K+N filter along with confirming cold tire pressures tomorrow. A wash and possibly a compression test (I've never done one on this car!) if things go well as well.

Car seems to run well, but have no idea what it puts down on a Mustang AWD dyno...260 WHP?

I've got to have confirmation all this work is worth an improvement...

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
the RevWorks dyno is a heart breaker for sure.

I had highest stock turbo #s at one point. (I was the 1st stock turbo STI on their dyno. lol.)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
T3h_Clap: I know Iowa City well. Wish I had pursued autocross back in the day-would have lessened my thirst for street hell rides... I'm located in Tampa area.
Tampa, there are a good # of events near by. You should head down to Ft. Myers for one of the gulf coast events.

CFR SCCA also does events in Brooksville.

Tell the RevWorks guys I said hi. They've had some changes in the office and it looks like Scott is out for a few days helping take care of his new baby boy.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
T3h_Clap: Good to know...of course it is not important. This visit will be a baseline for the car...not stock, but a number to compare to the next two visits with changes between each.

FAST has been pretty convenient...closest site was 40 minutes...but now it is all Brooksville. I hate to travel longer for autocross...road courses-definitely!

Gulf Coast sounds interesting though especially if they use something other than just a runway (too much slalom!)

Thanks!

Was successful in the plug change and compression test.

I chose local parts store (for convenience) NGK's stock replacements according to NGK's website. I've always used the OEM plugs...these appear to be slightly less lasting and about 20 bucks cheaper. I will end up changing them again in 6 weeks before next dyno visit.

The compression test was promising...140 in all cylinders. Admittedly the engine was cold and I didn't have WOT on the throttle...I did pop off three vacuum hoses to provide air...not sure if that is an acceptable way of doing it. But even 140 seems to be pretty good for 170,550 miles-never been apart!

Fun fact: counted the oil changes that I've performed...62 oil changes since new. All were 5W-30 Mobil 1 (OEM filter) except for the last 5 (with 0W-40 M1).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Success! It didn't blow up... :)

3 runs-3000 rpm to fuel cut (7200) or as close to it as the operator could get on the Mustang AWD 150 dynamometer (eddy current style).

Peak WHP and WTQ: 262 and 270, corrected. (66 degrees OAT)

AFR was 11.2 to 12.

I'd asked they start the runs at 2000 rpm, but that didn't seem to happen...this would have been helpful to see the spool for the OEM turbo compared to the 1.5.

Exciting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duMOxqrvFoo&feature=youtu.be

Next is targeting the install of the next step items:

Blouch 1.5 XTR 3 inch inlet/10 cm outlet
Perrin 3 inch Turbo Inlet
Process West TMIC
850 cc Injectors (Top Feed Conversion)
Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
IAG Billet TVG Deletes
Walbro Fuel Pump

followed by another visit to the same facility for comparison and full tune. Maybe in March...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Let me know how that Dom1.5 is once you have it on. I'm currently planning to run a 3.0XTR 10cm on my build and I'm worried I'm going to be unhappy with it.

Very clean car and you have a nice build in the works. I'll check back in!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
YamahaSHO: Tune will be by REVWORKS...think the tuner is named Mike...he was a referral from another reputable tuner who doesn't come to my area anymore. We will see. I'd love to do it myself, but I opened the COBB AP software and couldn't close it fast enough after seeing all the new lingo!

12 to 1 was under power ~5000 rpm. The dyno operator said that is too lean as well. I would expect the final tune to be in the 11.5 to 11.8 range.

I had understanding that turbo cars need the richer mixture for engine durability rather than power, no?

No tuning at the stage...adding the turbo and injectors, yes.

Kyle_05_STi: thanks...who knows, I may be asking to swap turbos when this one won't pull on the topend at Sebring...:) I will be turning this engine 7500 or higher if possible when done. Revs are fun!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Mike from M Tuned is a good tuner, the RevWorks dyno reads nice and low to keep egos in check. lol.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Received the finalized copy of head flow numbers for the Cosworth offering. Bad news, the intake numbers decreased...good news, the exhaust is better than originally reported.

Lift Intake Flow Exhaust Flow (CFM)

Only a clay radius was used on the intake side and nothing was used on the exhaust side.

I will ask for the same when the OEM head is flowed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Say Yazel says watup when you get tuned by Mike! MTune is the man! You are in great hands with Mike and Revworks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
yamahaSHO: 11 to 11.2 for 93 octane sure seems rich, but this is an odd engine too!

I would like to learn the Subaru tuning at least the basics while still having a real tuner accomplish the majority of the work-thanks.

T3h_Clap: as long as it is repeatable-a o k.

yazel: will do and good to know.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Received the IAG TVG Deletes.

Quite a pretty penny for such a part, but they are like art.

I'm curious how they match up with the heads...images to follow.

Additionally, finally assembled a dyno graph from the visit-amazing the second dyno shop in a row that didn't have an operable printer at the computer-provided a black and white screen shot.

I plugged an excel document with the data graphed-post to follow, hopefully.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Here is the prettiest plot I could decipher out of Excel. I had hoped to get a larger sampling 2000 to 7000 rpm to show how the spool, etc is as it sits.

I won't complain at how it ran...pleased with the outcome.

Additionally, today spoke to the machine shop locally who has a torque plate for the EJ257...will cost $205 for the honing to fit the pistons and checking the bearing clearances on mains and rods.

I will buy an accurate gram scale to confirm the weight of the pistons and rods and likely forego the balancing portion...shop was quoting me an additional $225.

41 - 60 of 330 Posts