IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
With all my images gone...I can understand. I've had a Sparco Pro 2000 in the car for last 80,000 miles...it just got worn...so a new one to replace it. The snug padding is welcome.

A seat is a great upgrade if you do some competition. I just wish it didn't say Sparco all over it!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Finally got tired of the squeal of the Hawk 5.0 brake pads...especially the wheel damaging dust they spurn.

Swapped just the front out with my old Hawk HPS...much better...for the street.

Surprised at the squeal as they consider these only one step up from the HPS...and the dust was pitting my freshly powdercoated wheels. This was strictly street driving. Odd too the rear brakes-no squeal and dust was just a powder.

Can't complain at the track performance so will save for that occasion.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Appears my Hawk 5.0 pads will be going back on tomorrow...signed up for another Daytona track day with another car...and now 4 days prior, it went to the dealer on a flat bed.

I was reminded this was the third time I've had a car go down days before a big event. Clutch, diff, and now an injector.

Fortunately, the Subaru is in good shape 6,000 mile Rival S 1.5 and fresh drivetrain with AWD this time.

See if I can better a 2:09 and 150 mph...intercooler heatsoak kills much power.

May bleed the brakes and do an oil change...should be ready!

Reactions: got2boostit2

·
Registered
654 Posts
Please let us know how the hawk 5.0's handle the track.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
5.0 pads worked like a champ! 92 miles and I called it a day.

Admittedly, I'm easy on the brakes...extended distances-I don't try to pass cars under braking...although one pesky C7 Corvette was not going to get in my way for the very fun bus stop!

Kept it full of 98 octane track fuel which kept only a NASCAR, C7 Z06, and a C6 ZR1 from remaining in my rear view mirror. :)

Admittedly, I signed up in the intermediate as I don't do it often enough, but high banks are a hoot.

I ended the day after the intercooler to throttle body popped off once again. I need to get better clamps for that junction...the long 6th gear pulls and plenty of oily blowby.

Videos will follow.

Reactions: ben_der

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
Finally put a simple video together...few pro images included. Great time on a track that isn't really the Subaru's forte.

The top mount intercooler becomes thermal overload...and the 250 oil temps drive the coolant excess. A cooler day would help, but still great fun.

Reactions: tylerlieberman

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Daytona and the Hawk 5.0 pads did a number on the right rotor...PMT...making it rumble during braking.

Ordered thru Rock Auto a set of front Centric Coated rotors. Looks to be good quality and the coating will be a big plus.

Not sure I have good things to say about the 5.0 pads. Noisy and the dust they put off damaged the interior of my wheels-pitting. I'd rather work the HP level of pads.

17 12 13 STI Centrix Rotor Front

Close Up:

17 12 13 STI Centrix Rotor Front Close

Installed:

17 12 13 STI Centrix Rotor Front Installed

The old DBA rotors had two track days and 28,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #309 (Edited)
Well, getting a pull to the right all of a sudden...so starts the journey of rectifying...

Since I had rear wheel bearings on hand and 60,000 miles on them...yanked them off and off to the machine shop. Get them back and install...notice the the ABS sensor isn't spaced from the reluctor rings equally from left to right side. So I pull the suspect one off and back to the machine shop...no dice. So install to confirm and issue (and risk destroying the bearing)...yup. ABS light on first test drive.

What is the next step...

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Most likely replacing the sensor is the next step.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #311 (Edited)
411: Thanks for the post...I'm currently leaning toward a bearing not being assembled correctly as I didn't have a light prior to the bearing swap...and considering one of the ABS sensor to reluctor wheels is not like the other.

I'm going to reaccomplish the bearing change...

Additionally, I pulled the front assemblies to replace those bearings and in the process off replacing the front control arm bushings (214,000 miles old).

I like modifying cars, but repairing just doesn't have the same thrill...

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is the hub wasn't pressed into the bearing far enough and that's causing the abs ring to be further away from the sensor. But since the abs light is on there is something wrong with the abs system, most likely the sensor in some way. Possibly the shop damaged it while putting it back in? Taking it out? I had to bust one apart and hammer it out cause it rusted in place once.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Nick: Agreed...and they did damage it. The actually bent the surface the rear ABS sensor mounts in and pushed it away from the tone ring. So they bent it back...it wasn't gross...just 2 mm. Got it together finally and drove it tonight...ABS extinguished after a few feet!

I installed front and rear wheel bearings, full front control arms, and tie rod ends...a big refresh at 213,000 miles.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Got a deal on these:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Alignment came out cherry as did they way it drives...like a new car.

They managed -1.9 camber in the front...very nice. The fresh HPS pads on new Stoptech rotors gave a nice high pedal.

Hadn't driven it in a month...nice to feel that turbo torque!

It was an expensive repair though...better than a car payment!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
I had two more issues to resolve...speedo inconsistent and an exhaust leak.

Close investigation of my up-pipe/exhaust manifolds resulted in not only uncovering a leaking manifold to up-pipe connection that I've dealt with for 'years'!, but also a cracked up-pipe!

I figured my turbo manifolding alignment wasn't perfect as I've replaced that manifold to up-pipe gasket multiple times (single OEM, double OEM, extra thick Grimmspeed, Felpro double, etc)...always came back to leak after few miles. Could hear the slight nasalyness and the driveability would suffer considering the AFR sensor was inches away.

This time I noticed (engine running) the new gasket was the only culprit...the robust Cobb up-pipe was cracked! So ordered Grimmspeed with a flex section.

That solved it! Likely not the Cobb's pipe fault, more my failure to line everything up ideally. So now the flex takes up the misalignment and the driveability is spot on. Daily driving is once again a pleasure!

Crack:

18 03 24 STI Old Up Pipe Crack

Some heat turned my high temp exhaust wrap into ceramic...Daytona track day shares in the blame!:

18 03 24 STI Old Wrap Ceramic

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Probably the more impressive to me comment is the self built engine surpassed 25,000 miles! Continues to return 21 mpg on the daily commute.

Reactions: Kyle_05_STi

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
I'd been getting a rattle during certain rpm ranges...narrowed down the the Cobb muffler - seemingly defective although it has 85,000 miles...some of it pretty hard if it matters (Daytona!).

Cobb does not have a lifetime warranty...so they offered a discounted purchase of the entire system...not exactly what I'd hoped. Nonetheless, ordered it up and installed. I only needed the rear section as the front of my cat back is modified with a full 3 inch flex pipe replacing the OEM donut gasket section.

Fortunately, they had not changed the design in 5 years. Bolted up all shiny - will have to paint it!

First drive is the tremendous difference in sound - my car is quiet now! I can actually hear the turbo! Not sure if mufflers wear out or there were other issues with the Cobb...but I like it! Allows more go time without the attention...still sounds great at 7800 rpm!

18 06 09 STI Exhaust Tail Section

Installed:

18 06 09 STI Exhaust Rear Aspect

18 06 09 STI Exhaust New Installed Tip

Reactions: ben_der

·
Registered
902 Posts
Solid work on your part replacing old worn stuff.
Need to keep things fresh. But I get your point with repairing being not as much fun as modifying :D

I need to do bushings all around as well although I'm on sub 80000 miles.
Jumping those Curbs at the Hockenheimring is just too much fun :naughty:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Likely I've done all the modifications I plan to. Seeing the miles roll by makes the mods cheaper!

Maintenance is a ok. Having odd issues is my frown face. Currently, I have a speedo that is intermittent.

Still can't get over the exhaust...how quiet it is compared to before. Hearing the turbo spool up, etc rekindles the thrill of the turbo four.

Now getting word may be moving to Germany...

301 - 320 of 330 Posts