IW STi Forum banner

281 - 300 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Unfortunately, I'm not seeing an Advanced tab. Is it possibly due to not being a paying member, etc? Are there other options of using [vid]...[/vid] or [YT]...[/YT]...?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not seeing an Advanced tab. Is it possibly due to not being a paying member, etc? Are there other options of using [vid]...[/vid] or [YT]...[/YT]...?

Thanks.
Upload or edit more tab.

https://www.youtube.com/v/

In brackets YOUTUBE /YOUTUBE would be what appears. I tried to edit your last video posted from my Ipad but had to jump on the laptop. So go to post 278 and put it in edit mode. You will see how the embed links should appear.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Some fun images from the autocross...a nice sequence of a bit of 3 wheeling leading to power on oversteer:

The next day-duty as a mountain bike hauler...:

Great fun!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Heading to Daytona 24 hours tomorrow...annual trek. Only 130 miles away so feel obligated.

Always get Grassroots Motorsports tickets and park in their paddock. I've had my car photographed for that magazine before (along with many others).

Washed, vacuumed, cleaned the insides of the wheels, and even polished my Kyoto radiator!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #286 (Edited)
Daytona 24 Hours was great fun!

Only stayed about 10 hours...enough for my kid...and I-getting a bit loopy with the constant engine music!

I have no idea how folks camp in the infield...not my cup of tea!

Amazing how they let you in the pits and up close and personal to the mechanics:

Subaru got a spot in the GRM fun car section...parked next to a sweet Skyline GTR. Many other neat cars-more than I had pictures for.

Honda RSX Type R...imported from Japan...right hand drive...similar to the Skyline:

Subaru also surpassed a milestone on the return drive from Daytona...200,000 miles!

Then 20 miles later we were on the side of the road with likely a dead fuel pump. It revived and got us the 15 miles home. New Walbro GSS340 is on the way. Seems odd with only 24,000 miles and 2 years on the current pump.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Thanks for sharing, second picture is not showing up for me though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you planning on changing the fuel filter when doing the fuel pump?

Just threw in a DW300 and completely forgot to order a new filter while I was there. My car is at 130k and I can't imagine any of the previous owners doing it. Tho there was a Walbro 255 already installed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Jt: Great idea. I'll see if Subaru has one available. This is my daily driver so if I have to I'll stick the pump without a new filter until the weekend. Current one is only 8500 miles old.

Two weeks ago, I noticed the priming noise a bit odd. I was tempted to order a pump then, but the noise returned to the normal fuel pump after a couple of starts. Even the morning of the Friday before I thought I felt a couple of lean spots/hesitations.

Guess the car was talking to me...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jt: Great idea. I'll see if Subaru has one available. This is my daily driver so if I have to I'll stick the pump without a new filter until the weekend. Current one is only 8500 miles old.

Two weeks ago, I noticed the priming noise a bit odd. I was tempted to order a pump then, but the noise returned to the normal fuel pump after a couple of starts. Even the morning of the Friday before I thought I felt a couple of lean spots/hesitations.

Guess the car was talking to me...
Wasn't sure how long the Subaru fuel filters last. Just got my 05' Subaru, installed a new pump and regretted not grabbing a filter. Getting that pump in and out tested my patience, not sure I want to struggle getting that thing out again.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Unfortunately, the filter came 2 days late...so as this was my daily driver, swapped the pump only.

Took about an hour, but my records show I've done it 3 times previous so it is an easy job with the experience.

Drove it a week-no defects noted. I'd like to think the car will be faster if the pump was failing...but it doesn't give the impression it is. Oh well.

Walbro GSS340 only had 24,000 miles on it...bit surprised at the short duration. Amazon delivered price of $63...I won't get too upset.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Another autocross complete (2nd for the engine)...another 5th of 91 cars. 2nd in class though with a Miata ahead of me. I definitely left time on the course. We only get 4 runs so a challenge to put down your best run.

And my favorite image...photographer put it on the cover of the album...:)

Video of my quickest lap:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
oginback: Thanks for the suggestion...I'm ok with the factory setup-I'd likely screw up the install and incur leaks. It is easy enough after doing several times!

Another autocross...unfortunately, not successful.

First run-into the dirt (off the runway)...first time ever in this car!
2nd/3rd runs with solid cones.
4th run...intercooler pipe popped off...missed the last run fixing the car...

61 of 93 cars...ugh.

Worst score in decades! Ha.

Still better than at work...

:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
10,000 Mile Update...actually 13,000!

Self built motor with Cosworth runs like a top...now sitting at over 13,000 miles covered.

It has done 3 autocrosses, 2 drag strip visits, and 1 Daytona track event.

It consumes .5 quart every 2000 miles, gets solid 21 mpg on the commute (so did the factory motor), and sounds wonderful at 7500 rpm.

I've lost a fuel pump and blown a manifold to up-pipe gasket (below):

I changed the plugs, trans fluid, and cleaned the K+N filter 10,000 miles. I also replaced the original external side window seals...they were looking grungy-darn easy to execute.

Life it getting in the way for any more autocrosses/track events.

I do have another set of Rival S 1.5's sitting in the garage...prepped for the start of the fall autocross season...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Now at 15,000 miles...oil change, brake bleed, Hawk 5.0 pads, and a new Perrin Downpipe Blanket...ready for Thursday's Track Night at Sebring.

Not happy about the heat, but $150 for an evening on a fun track that is 82 miles from my residence-can't pass it up.

I will use up the 15,000 mile Rivals (on the wear bars) and make the switch to the new rubber as well as pop in some new wheel bearings all around.

Solid 21 mpg on the commute-traffic flies around here at 85 mph (actual!).

Also bought a new project car...quarter of million mile, 20 year old BMW M3. Family build to teach the youngsters how a car works...and a bit of a hot rod with a LS heart and 6 speeds.

It will be our first cross-pollination.

Subaru will remain primary mode of transportation...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Back to regularly scheduled program...

Subaru ran like a Swiss watch at Sebring.

42 miles covered with a best time of 1:19.5 on the 'Club Course.'

255 degree oil
223 degree coolant
198 degree intercooler
27 psi max boost

Fellow with a 340 WHP/2600 pound STI race car runs 1:19's...so my street car was doing ok. Caught and passed a new 650 HP ZO6...he got 4 'let him pass' blue flags. Interesting.

Fresh Rival's really performed well.

Video:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Right at 20,000 miles on the new engine.

Oil consumption is .5 per 2000 miles (0W-40 Mobil 1) and still returns 21 mpg on the commute...which it sees ~22-24 pounds of boost several times and at least one 7500 rpm run.

Car is a great cut and thrust vehicle...blowing AC in the 95 degree heat. I've seen 145 degrees on the top mount intercooler during high heat, extended boost accels...then quickly back to ambient.

I treated it to a new Sparco Pro 2000 seat...the old one was 80,000+ miles old, padding flattened and a bit on the odoriferous side after the sweaty autocross laps.

New one feels like a new car...$800 lighter in the wallet though!

Pictures follow...

281 - 300 of 330 Posts