IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Looking to purchase some Work wheels pretty soon (yes I know it’s 6 months) and was lookin for some advice on fitment as well as opinions on the aesthetics.
the fitment I want to do for a more aggressive stance (and to clear those Brembos) would be 18x9.5 with around 30-40 offset. My questions are as follows:
1) At what point will I have to roll my fenders? I assume I will have to with that setup
2) I am currently on Bc Br coilovers and no other suspension modifications yet. Is there anything I should be modifying before going to these wheels such as camber plates sway bars etc.?
3) It’s a toss up between Work Meister S1 and the Meister M1. Finish would be black with gold bolts and standard polished rim. Any thoughts on which wheel would have the better look on the car? Alternative finishes are welcome!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Material property
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
the color of the wheels is completely subjective. personally i dont like black with a polished/brushed lip, just not my style. if it was me i'd be doing gunmetal or brushed all the way through. i'm also not a fan of most 5 spoke wheels on these cars, not sure why, but i just dont feel like they fit, so out of the two posted, the mesh would be my personal choice, keep in mind those are subjective, and if you like it, go for it

i cant speak to the brembo clearance because the wheel faces will effect this, so you could get the two wheels with the same size/offset and one may fit and the other wouldnt without a spacer. i'd reach out to work directly for that, or TH3CLAP on his website, he may know.

you will need to roll the fenders to make that fit, pending tire size, you may also need to slightly "pull" the rears.

you shouldnt need anymore mods suspension wise, but i'd be sure to have camber plates/bolts to dial that in for perfect fitment. although there are a host of other parts that will make the car feel better when driving, but wont necessarily have an effect on fitting the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
10,730 Posts
You need to speak with T3Hclap on wheel fitment. He used to have a very concise blog on just what you are looking for in this post. He owns Penguin Garage. His name is Drew Hackett. Look him up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the color of the wheels is completely subjective. personally i dont like black with a polished/brushed lip, just not my style. if it was me i'd be doing gunmetal or brushed all the way through. i'm also not a fan of most 5 spoke wheels on these cars, not sure why, but i just dont feel like they fit, so out of the two posted, the mesh would be my personal choice, keep in mind those are subjective, and if you like it, go for it

i cant speak to the brembo clearance because the wheel faces will effect this, so you could get the two wheels with the same size/offset and one may fit and the other wouldnt without a spacer. i'd reach out to work directly for that, or TH3CLAP on his website, he may know.

you will need to roll the fenders to make that fit, pending tire size, you may also need to slightly "pull" the rears.

you shouldnt need anymore mods suspension wise, but i'd be sure to have camber plates/bolts to dial that in for perfect fitment. although there are a host of other parts that will make the car feel better when driving, but wont necessarily have an effect on fitting the wheels.
Yes I knew that for sure but I felt there would be a somewhat a universal good look to the car but that’s obviously impossible lol.
I also see ordering the s1 5 spoke and regretting the look so the other might be a Safer choice

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes I knew that for sure but I felt there would be a somewhat a universal good look to the car but that’s obviously impossible lol.
I also see ordering the s1 5 spoke and regretting the look so the other might be a Safer choice
i had one friend who had the 5 spoke wheels on his 04 STi. they were matte bronze with a gloss bronze lip, they didnt look terrible, he loved them and so did alot of people, although he was also on carbon karlton flares and the wheels were 18x10.5+5 so that made a difference too.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
304 Posts
Personally, if you like black, I'd go black face, black lip and polished or gold bolts.
That's what I've got on the bbs on my other car.
I'm going to have them refinished tho, I'm going to get them blasted, polished, and then sprayed with a tinted clear coat so they are like a dark-mirror.
Between the M1 and S1, let me just raise one point.
You have to clean these wheels, and when they are as nice as they are going to be, you are going to want to clean them often...
My bbs are similar to the M1, and let me just say, I'm glad they are a dark colour, because they are a pain in the ass to clean, even with expensive product.
The S1 will be a lot easier to own, and personally I like the look of them better.
Photoshop has gotten me through all of my sti modding this season, and I went pretty ham on the cosmetics...
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
709 Posts
^^
cleaning is a good point. the mesh will be harder to clean. BUT with either wheel, i'd highly suggest a quality ceramic coating BEFORE they go onto the car, this will make them much easier to clean with alot less effort.

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
39 Posts
Buddy of mine had Volks with the polished lip and black centers on his silver 03 wagon. I know they're Volks, but it just made it look too old school and the look doesn't work for me either with the black center. I used to have LE-37s, which have gunmetal centers and a polished lip, on my old black Integra and they looked pretty good on there. They were 4x100 or I would have kept them for my WRX.

18x9.5 seems a bit wide for a GD that is regularly driven, but I've seen it done. I had a friend with a 2007 sedan with custom 18x12s on there. It didn't really get driven much though, more or less a show car.

Cleaning isn't too bad even with mesh, there are plenty of products and tools for it, but it will take longer obviously. I use Sonax wheel cleaner, spray on and let it sit, rinse off once it turns purple (broke down the brake dust). Scrub a little if needed, but normally you will not need to.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
304 Posts
Buddy of mine had Volks with the polished lip and black centers on his silver 03 wagon. I know they're Volks, but it just made it look too old school and the look doesn't work for me either with the black center. I used to have LE-37s, which have gunmetal centers and a polished lip, on my old black Integra and they looked pretty good on there. They were 4x100 or I would have kept them for my WRX.

18x9.5 seems a bit wide for a GD that is regularly driven, but I've seen it done. I had a friend with a 2007 sedan with custom 18x12s on there. It didn't really get driven much though, more or less a show car.

Cleaning isn't too bad even with mesh, there are plenty of products and tools for it, but it will take longer obviously. I use Sonax wheel cleaner, spray on and let it sit, rinse off once it turns purple (broke down the brake dust). Scrub a little if needed, but normally you will not need to.
Black faces with silver lips is a 90's trend.
That's why I suggest to go all-black, all-gunmetal, or do gunmetal faces with polished lip since that looks more tonal and looks pretty tasteful. See below:
Automotive tire Automotive design Watch Alloy wheel Silver

Wheel Tire White Automotive tire Tread

Looks damn good on the S1's, but maybe I'm just bias cause the S1 is on my short list of favourite wheels :D
See here's full blackout, satin faces over gloss lips.
My bbs are like these, and personally that'd be the direction I'd go, esp on the m1:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

1 - 9 of 9 Posts