IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking for a reasonable price to pay for insurance on a 2004 Subaru sti. When I got my quote it was 1800$ every 6month for full coverage. I'm trying to figure out what the best method to make it cheap as possible with decent coverage. I'm 17 so I'm on my dads insurance and I keep a 3.0 with work and sports, I live in washing state, I also have no tickets or collisions/accidents and have had my license since 2011 July. Give me a good idea on how I could make the imdurance a reasonable price for an 2004 sti.

Before you guys start saying spoiled and things like that I'm going to be the one paying my insurance and my dad and I work on cars for fun and we got a killer deal on a 1965 mustang coupe. After finishing it for a winter project and going in 7000 on it and 4800 in fixing it up I'm selling it for 18-20k. 15k is going toward the Subaru and rest is to paying my dad for what he put in and then money from what I have saved up from work.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't think its worth it to sacrifice coverage. If you can't swing the 300/mo maybe consider a WRX. IMHO liability should simply be maxed out. Collision and deductibles are the only places I would even consider saving, but still personally like my financial stability alot more than my car so I pay for excellent insurance.

On the flip side, at 17 you can ride pretty dirty and get away with it. Just don't compromise on that liability!

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you simply must have an STi...

Increase your deductible.
Don't get rental or tow coverage.
Don't get health insurance through the car insurance company. I'm willing to bet your folks have your back here either way.
Uninsured motorist protection is borderline. Depends on where you live.

Depending on what options your company is providing you, you may have more or less to choose from. Also, beware. Everything I said will increase your out of pocket expenses should something happen. For the sake of your passengers, at least cover them.

Stiff deductibles and paying out of pocket for a rental car can ruin your finances for a year at 17. Liability and passenger hospital bills that aren't picked up by your insurance company can ruin you for life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black ninja I'm talking to my dad about what your saying and he said we will throw so numbers around. He just wants to make sure if something is to happen its not coming out of his pocket or mine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wait a few years then buy an STi, don't care what anyone says, too much car for a 17yo. Not being a dick at all, but I've been there, done that, and I can honestly say I've never seen a young person with a sports car that didn't end badly. Even the ones who weren't idiots, it's simply a lack of driving experience, usually.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
$1,800 every 6 months isn't terrible. I was paying almost twice that at one point.

That being said, I agree with ririck. Every 16-18 yr old will come back and say they are responsible unlike others their age, but that's hardly every true.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The unfortunate part is that if you take short cuts in your insurace, it leaves a chance for Murphys Law to possibly screw you. I disagree with rental or tow coverage decline because you will want those if you do not have another car or get in a jam. Tow coverage, maybe sub with AAA although it is around $60/yr. The entire premise behind insurance is to safe guard you, property, and most important - other lives. Hopefully never, you would not be glad you had bits and pieces coverage if something ever happened. I think your $1800 quote is highway robbery and that the insurance company should probably burn to the ground. That amount is not even just. The companys like to paint all youth with the same broad paint strokes and group everyone at 17 into the "high risk" category. Ummmm, I'm 30 and drive in the greater DC area. There are plenty of people here who cut off, don't use turn signals, drive 10-20 mph under the speed limit, play with their phones and text constantly, eat while driving, don't use rear view mirrors or side mirrors, stay in the left lane, and block miles of traffic because they want to drive the same speed as the driver next to them. Very few of these folks are 17. They are much older and should know far better. You sound reasonable and at least you are working for the money to invest into your passion. I would suggest, get a year worth of premium saved up. Get it in cash...lay it out on your dining room table bill by bill spread out. If you still want to spend all that just for insurance, then go for it. The sight of that much money for insurance alone would steer me away and I'd go for a 2.5RS and have fun with that. I had to endure 8.5 years of Army before I got my STi, so waiting for what you want is worth it. I hope this message has helped provide at least some clarity. Which every way you go, Good Luck and Happy Motoring.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Black ninja I'm talking to my dad about what your saying and he said we will throw so numbers around. He just wants to make sure if something is to happen its not coming out of his pocket or mine.
Its coming out of your pocket either way, really. One way is planned and moderate. The other way is cheap until its a potentially very brutal surprise.

Have you considered a DSM? Cheaper, AWD, turbo, good aftermarket, pretty sexy, built like a tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was a very responsible kid and I would not put an STi in the hands on my 17 year old self.

I went with a 96 Mitsubishi GSX (DSM) and tuned it up to 240 AWHP over time. Learned a lot going that and was cheaper up fix what I screwed up than a STi would be. At that time I paid $2300 a year for it. Now I'm looking into an STi (ordering in January) and looking at $1400 a year for insurance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never looked into Dsm can you give me a link? Also mars your right about everything you say and waiting 8.5 years for your sti and them finally having it is a great feeling I bet. I have friends where there parents care to much about them being happy rather than there safety by buying them the dream teenage car that's already built and they didn't have to do anything to earn it or even learn about the car. I'm lucky enough to have my dad because he supports me on what I do and will give me his opinion on things like with cars and he teaches me how to work on them and how they work mechanically. After having the mustang we worked on together and how much I learned about cars from it helps me appreciate what I have. There is no better feeling than after putting in blood and sweat on rebuilding it for 7 months and finally finishing the mustang and driving it made my passion for the car mean a lot more than just a car because I actually worked on it. Basically I'm saying after working on something you learn to appreciate it more and make less stupid decisions. I'm not saying I'm an amazing driver because I know I don't have the same experience you guys have and that comes with time. Your right an sti is a lot of car and with the price of insurance on sti's for me I'm probably better off waiting and do another car. If I can figure out how I'm going to be doing insurance where I can offard it then I'll probably stick to my idea of doing an sti but like you guys said it might be better to just wait a couple years and do something different for the time now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never looked into Dsm can you give me a link? Also mars your right about everything you say and waiting 8.5 years for your sti and them finally having it is a great feeling I bet. I have friends where there parents care to much about them being happy rather than there safety by buying them the dream teenage car that's already built and they didn't have to do anything to earn it or even learn about the car. I'm lucky enough to have my dad because he supports me on what I do and will give me his opinion on things like with cars and he teaches me how to work on them and how they work mechanically. After having the mustang we worked on together and how much I learned about cars from it helps me appreciate what I have. There is no better feeling than after putting in blood and sweat on rebuilding it for 7 months and finally finishing the mustang and driving it made my passion for the car mean a lot more than just a car because I actually worked on it. Basically I'm saying after working on something you learn to appreciate it more and make less stupid decisions. I'm not saying I'm an amazing driver because I know I don't have the same experience you guys have and that comes with time. Your right an sti is a lot of car and with the price of insurance on sti's for me I'm probably better off waiting and do another car. If I can figure out how I'm going to be doing insurance where I can offard it then I'll probably stick to my idea of doing an sti but like you guys said it might be better to just wait a couple years and do something different for the time now.
If you're responsible enough to make that statement, that's half the battle. I still say wait, and I think a DSM is a good option for you as well. :bow:

·
Registered
605 Posts
i don't think the sti is too much car for you. take any car to a track and explore its limits, then you'll be fine with it on the road.

as for insurance, you need to shop around more. try calling a broker and see what he/she can do for you.

good luck

1 - 20 of 83 Posts