IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 2004 Maxima yesterday. The local Subaru dealer also sells Nissan.

The car seemed better looking to my eye than the pictures I had seen. It comes across as a very powerful shape with broad shoulders. The dealer hasn't received any SE models yet so I tried the luxury version (SL). The car is certainly quick, at least in the same league as a TL Type-S or G35 sedan. The steering wheel definitely fights with you under hard acceleration, even with the 4-speed automatic on the SL model.

I also thought it had a lot of comfort and convenience features for the price. Such indulgences like a 2 position power memory feature for the driver’s seat, heated steering wheel and mirrors, rear window sunshade and heated rear seats were all available. It certainly follows Nissan’s current trend of releasing high-value, fast vehicles with some minor cost cutting details.

All-in-all it seems to be a nice, big, powerful car IMO. It just won't go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds like our STI's most likely will. :wink:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Glad a face-to-face with the car gets a review like that. I've long been a Maxima/Nissan fan and my fiance recently bought an 03 Maxima SE loaded up. Wonderful car. But this new car.....it seems to get away from the sport/luxury segment that the Maxima has commanded for so many years.

Instead of having a sleek yet roomy body with the power to embarrass the ignorant, it now has this land yacht look to it. Personally, I think this size increase in the Maxima/Altima lines is a big mistake on Nissans part.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the most part, I agree with you. Nissan’s new boss (I forget his name now) has really turned the company around. However he has done so, at least in part, by slashing costs and cutting some corners with regard to the details that auto enthusiasts pay attention to.

I imagine they are doing this in order to keep on target with their very aggressive new model release schedule. I too have experience with the 2003 Maxima and it certainly is a great car. The new Maxima, IMO, is slightly better when viewed as a whole and has moved into a new territory in the process. When taken in context and judged against cars like the Acura TL, Toyota Avalon and others in this price range it would be my choice. It may also, strangely enough, be cross shopped with the Infiniti G35 sedan (a car I still think about despite my deposit on an STI).

In my mind, and I think in Nissan’s, the Altima SE has replaced the 2003 Maxima in the lineup and the 2004 Maxima has moved up to a larger and slightly more upscale segment.

This conclusion may be disappointing to many who loved the old Maxima however….

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with the FlyingDutchman, the Altima is taking the Maxima's place in the lineup while the Maxima is being pushed toward more luxury and less sport. A good friend of mine has a 00 Maxima and it is awesome. Handles really well for a FWD sedan with that much weight.

Also, the new Maxima is on the same platform as the Q45 (i believe). To me, it seems too bulky and the new image is not as appealing as the older models.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Speaking of Nissan, have you guys seen the Nissan Quest minivan??? :eek:

When I see it I wanna P#%@.... :oops:

Check it out and tell me what you think.

Almost the entire roof of the van is a glass "sky light". Not a roof, a sky light. Very ..., uhhh..., ugly. :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
murley said:
Almost the entire roof of the van is a glass "sky light". Not a roof, a sky light. Very ..., uhhh..., ugly. :)
oh man, that is really funky. and it looks like nissan as decided to put that ugly steering wheel in more than just the 350z. egads.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ahh what the french are acomplishing to NISSAN if they only had AWD and turbo on their passenger cars I would be driving one now :) their design is really appealing in my eyes.

ahh yeah this is post number 200 :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hey yxan - my post (reply to you) went down with the ship :)

I wondered what the French had to do with Nissan...

But the comments about cost-cutting and the shift_ing :wink: of Altima and Maxima in the marketplace were right on target.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts