IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi fellas,

i searched the forums first but nothing came up when i searched 's2000' so...

i know there was one user here who owned 2 s2000's prior to picking up an sti. i was wondering if there were any other folks that did this as well. i currently own an s2000 but i want to change. something along the same lines of how an s2000 drives (awesome handling) but with more space. i was thinking m3 but then i came across this site. really convincing on picking up an sti. so...

pros/cons between the two? anything you regret from the change over from an s2000 to an sti?

thanks.

mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think that’s me. I would say Sti if you need the 4 seats. If you don’t, S2000.

I love both of them. I autoX'ed (VERY fast track) the Sti this weekend and dominated all the 50K+ cars :)

My time: 70.x (stock)
My disadvantages being I have 1200 miles on the car and have never driven an AWD vehicle. I did 4 runs in 4 different dccd positions to see what was best.

02 M3 74.X (racing slics)
Viper 75.x (racing slicks)
2000+ 911 turbo 74.x
C5 Vette (racing slicks) 75.x
etc...
Race prepped Neon 75.x
Race Prepped Miatas 77.x
Race Prepped Integra Type R 76.x
Etc…

A few cars broke 70, but all were completely race prepped like the:

Z06 69.x (slicks, suspensions mods)
C4 Vette 67.x (completely race prepped)

·
Registered
422 Posts
FS: Turbo XS HPBC

I haven't driven a S2000, but have competed in some hillclimbs against the S2000, BMW M3s, Corvetts, and Porsche Turbos. All VERY fast. The STi is a great bang for the buck. At this level it comes down to the driver...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great racing y2ks2k. i hear the sti interior isnt very sturdy tho. a buddy of mine said to remember, its a fast econobox. so the interior is very plasticy and looks like things can and will break easily. for $30k+ id like a car thats on par with the s2000 in every aspect (including the interior). what was your take on the interior of the sti? anything you wish the sti had that the s2000 has and vice versa?

im not a hardcore racer, nor am i an auto-x'er (but id like to try sometime) im basiclly looking for an s2000 with more space! great handling characteristics, great motor (speed), and an excellent value.

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My vote: STi
S2000 needs to be revvved to death to go anywhere fast... Even 2004 2.2 engine... 2) S2000 has no torque compared to STi
I'd hit:
1) STi
2) RX-8
3) S2000

M

·
0 Posts
You will find driving the STi to be a completely different experience from the way you drive the s2000.

The STi produces way more power through the band, and doesn't come on late like the honda.

Handling wise, the STi needs to be muscled into good performance, which is not to say that it's handling isn't amazing, but just that it is handled in a completely different way from the easy in/out of the s2000. Driving an AWD car is way different, but once you are used to it, extremely rewarding.

Of course, I prefer the STi and would never even consider an s2000, but if you are really interested in finding something similar to what you already have, the newer s2000, or maybe even a G35 will probably be more to your liking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have never owned a S2000. But I have an Integra Type R and also test-driven a S2000. Typer R and S2000 are very similar, although S2000 has more power and better handling.

Please note that my comment is based upon streeting driving.
The S2000's handling is excellent, but it's torque is medicore. Like the R, you need to rev it real good (around 7000 rpm) to get it up to speed. I personally like the STI because its torque band is wide and available almost at any rpm range. It is easy to drive fast. For handling, S2K may be a bit better, but again, I need to explore more since I only have the STI for less than a week.

I will vote for STI. But you also won't go wrong with S2K, which looks nice and performs very well.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Mike. . . first of all, I want to welcome another enthusiast from the Seattle area to the site. :D

If you haven't already. . . please, test drive an STi. If you can't find one to test drive, call me in about a month. I should have mine just broken-in by then, and you'd be more than welcome to take her out for a spirited drive.

I've driven the STi, RX-8, and the S2000. . . all within about 2 weeks of each other. Here were my somewhat unscientific findings:

RX-8:
Incredibly-smooth rotary that just loves to go from 5-9K in a heartbeat
Very well-tuned suspension. Predictable and taut.
Low-slung, and very well-balanced (almost 50/50)
Low end torque. . . nearly non-existant.
Brake feel . . . grippy and gave good feedback
Transmission. . . Decent, but could have been smoother
Interior was unconventional, and materials questionable

S2000:
Traditional Honda interior quality (Like my Civic)
Smooth as silk tranny, with NICE short-throw shifter
Rev-happy engine . . . like the RX-8, loves to easily climb to 9000 RPM
You need it as the low-end torque is nearly as absent as the RX-8
Suspension felt slightly better than the RX-8. Top-notch
Even less interior space than the RX-8, which wasn't much to begin with
A true roadster. . . there are few substitues

STi:
Silly fast. . . :eek:
Tranny is more gated, but I understand it smoothes-out with use
Low-end torque like you wouldn't believe!!!
Virtually no turbo lag, if that's something you're worried about
Boxer engine sound is different, and also marvelous
Engine loves to "whoosh" to redline once boost kicks in
A backseat :wink:
Interior. . . indeed, based on the WRX, the STi is no luxury car, but no slouch, either
Suspension . . . well-tuned, and with a drop, decent center of gravity
Brakes. . . . WOW. Those stock Brembos are well worth their weight in gold
No stock stereo (but I can certainly point you towards my installer who is amazing . . .at Magnolia HiFi)

Overall, the STi is a very different car from the RX-8 andyour S2000. You really must drive one to appreciate it. I would recommend talking to Joe Spitz at Carter Subaru (internet sales manager). He's extremely helpful, knows his stuff, and there's ZERO pressure to buy. I'm buying mine though him. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
mwy23 said:
i hear the sti interior isnt very sturdy tho. a buddy of mine said to remember, its a fast econobox. so the interior is very plasticy and looks like things can and will break easily.
I have to disagree with you here. I think a word that better defines the STi interior is spartan. It's not necessarily cheap its just very bare with no frills. The only flimsy items I can think of are the pop out cupholder and the vanity mirror covers (and if it ever crossed your mind to check the quality of those things then it's best you just forgot this car)

Everything else about the interior feels pretty solid, bare but solid. Nothing all that cheap about it (compared to other cars in it's class, if you compare it to a luxury car than you're missing the point of my rebuttal) just not alot there. The knobs are pretty sturdy, so are the buttons, and air vents. The center compartment and the armrest are pretty solid as well. Glove compartment is also sturdy. The upholstery is pretty nice. Nicer in the front than in the back but pretty darn good. The steering wheel feels pretty good too (I personally prefferred the WRXs just in terms of look and feel). The shifter knob is kind of crappy but that's easily replaced.

Compared to the EVO or the 350Z I think the interior is overall better. Both the EVO and 350Z are the definition of toy plastic soldier interior. However, I can't compare it to an s2000 since I've never been in one. I've raced an s2000 though and after that I pretty much forgot the car even existed. S2what?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've test driven an S2000 about 4 or 5 times. I wanted to buy that about a year ago -- correction, really wanted to get one a year ago. I owned a Type R for 3 years as well, so I'm very familiar with high strung Hondas.

The S2000 is a great little car. Good looks, nice interior (very spartan but pleasant), great high end power - the thing that made me pass on the S2k though was that since I've been driving a Type R for a while, my biggest complaint was (you guessed it) lack of low end torque. If I wasn't paying attention at the light, V6 Accords could blow me away up until 40 or 50mph. This was unacceptable.

So I ended up in an STI about a month ago. The interior is pretty darn good IMO. Has enough gadgets to be interesting, but not so much to look flashy. The materials are acceptable, and I've only noticed a few squeaks. Much better than my R in terms of ergonomics. The switches and buttons are relatively smooth. Basically, I was pleasantly surprised about the interior and the noise levels, but again, take into account that I was coming out of a considerably louder Type R (4400 rpm at 80mph)

I certainly wouldn't buy a car without checking it out myself, so hopefully you at least get a chance of looking it over. Good luck

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Are there enough former Type-R owners here or what (myself included)? I for one could never go back to a torque-less wonder after owning the STi so the S2000 would be out of the question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welp, went to a dealership that had 3 sti's on the lot, all the colors except the one that id want one in (white) and checked out the interior. im afraid my fears of the interior are true. the door panels feel like they're made of cardboard, the interior roof feels the same. but simon13elmont
is right, if i am looking at this kind of stuff, maybe an sti isnt for me. i just feel like you should get more with $32k than just a lot, and i mean A LOT, of power. the seats do feel good, the doors shut with good authority (kinda europeanish) and my friend and i agreed that you probably have to drive it to really appreciate it (which i didnt get to do)

i guess im more into value than performance? 350z/g35 are out of the question for me. the interior is nice and of decent quality, but one of the 350z i looked at already had something broken, and that was in the showroom.

thanks for everyone's input. and thanks for the offer and welcome yukonart. ill still be lurking on the forums because the sti has caught my interest. if i can find a used one or one thats more in the upper $20's i wouldnt hesistate. but once you cross that $30k barrier, it seems like the standards should be upped. just my opinion.

mike

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Well Mike. . . if you still haven't decided on something by the time I pick mine up, which MAY be much sooner than I'm letting-on. . . the offer for a test drive still stands. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know a few S2000's here... they like them a lot
I personally can't fit at all in them...no way I could ever attempt to drive one...they are to small.

one guy here has been building his s2000 for over a year...its got
over 500hp now to the wheels and redlines at 11,000

I prefer the STi though...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Some dealers already offering STi @ INVOICE, which is around $29.5

mwy23 said:
welp, went to a dealership that had 3 sti's on the lot, all the colors except the one that id want one in (white) and checked out the interior. im afraid my fears of the interior are true. the door panels feel like they're made of cardboard, the interior roof feels the same. but simon13elmont
is right, if i am looking at this kind of stuff, maybe an sti isnt for me. i just feel like you should get more with $32k than just a lot, and i mean A LOT, of power. the seats do feel good, the doors shut with good authority (kinda europeanish) and my friend and i agreed that you probably have to drive it to really appreciate it (which i didnt get to do)

i guess im more into value than performance? 350z/g35 are out of the question for me. the interior is nice and of decent quality, but one of the 350z i looked at already had something broken, and that was in the showroom.

thanks for everyone's input. and thanks for the offer and welcome yukonart. ill still be lurking on the forums because the sti has caught my interest. if i can find a used one or one thats more in the upper $20's i wouldnt hesistate. but once you cross that $30k barrier, it seems like the standards should be upped. just my opinion.

mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
I owned an STi from Feb 2000 until March of 2003 I believe it was and the STi is about twice the monster of the s2000.

turbo.. awd.. rear seats... more power.. what more could you ask for?

·
Registered
151 Posts
If it's value you are looking for then I'm not sure the S2000 should be a leading candidate either. I'd love to have one, but it certainly doesn't have much of an interior either. You'd probably be better off in a miata since the interior is about the same quality and it's at least $8k less (of couse, you'd be giving away 100hp too - lol)
Probably the best bang for the buck is the base 350Z at around $28k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
probably cant find one at invoice in seattle tho... yukonart, how much did you get yours for if i may ask?

im not sure about the miata because i personally hate mazdas. as for value, i think the s2000 had incredible value. the interior panelling is of much better quality than the sti that i sat in. and i have 17k miles now with no panel rattling at all. also take into account that the motor is hand assembled. however, the s2000 is NOT a practical car at all. practicality and value are totally different.

but you guys are right. 300lb/ft torque with 4 doors is very tempting. :D im still on the fence. its my my opinion that the build quality of the sti isnt on par with that of my s2000, not all s2000's in general, but the one i got. i think i got lucky and got a good one. :p i dont kno if i can get lucky again with a rattle-free sti.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OEM WRX Speaker install

slashSTI said:
Probably the best bang for the buck is the base 350Z at around $28k
110% agree with you there... but i sat in one in the showroom and it already had something broken. :oops:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Mike, my order is placed, but I won't have the car for another couple of weeks at least. . . . but the price I'm buying the STi for is, indeed, MSRP. Not a penny more.

Talk to Joe Spitz @ Carter Subaru. . . and no one else. I swear, he'll make the buying experience the simplest and most enjoyable you've ever had. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts