IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
turbo charger question

hi, im thinking about getting one of these cars, or maybe if i do real good in school then my parents are going to buy me an STI! but for now i would like to know which car is better for street racing (drag) and better handling and EVERYTHING. one more thing, if i could get the STI, whats the difference between the STI and the Lancer EVO 8? thanks! :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
The WRX will most likely do EVERYTHING better than the Neon. Drag racing AWD cars is not the best thing you could do with them. If your not careful you'll tear up the drive train. The biggest differences between the STi and the EVO 8 are the engine, tranny and some drive train components.

·
Registered
541 Posts
super_bean21 said:
The Peon srt-4's name is misleading. it is only front drive.
Yeah, I can see how the 4 could be taken to mean 4 driven wheels. But it's just the number of cylinders. The new Viper is called the SRT-10.

I'm trying to imagine a 10-wheel-drive Viper right now...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Actually the Neon looks pretty good spec-wise.

I think it is gonna be a good drag car, but not much more than that. I read in SCC that the camber on the front wheels is a 0 (parallel with the road). This helps with braking and acceleration, but not so much so on the curves. I also don't like the fact that the SRT-4 doesn't have a LSD on a car with that much power...that and reliability..but Dodge is planning to sell it for less than $20K

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
For anyone that hasn't gotten to their mailbox yet, SCC had a writeup on a pre-production SRT-4.

There are pre-production numbers, but the engineers present at the test said most things about the car were within a few % of factory spec.

Here are some numbers.

These are WHEEL HP numbers

HP – 223 hp

Torque – 250 ft-lb

Running 14.2s and 0-60 in 5.8 with no limited slip. They are also saying the factory car will have no mufflers. A cat, a few resonators, but no mufflers.

I wouldn't buy one...but damn....for $20k...there are going to be some scary high school kids running around with these soon.

·
Registered
886 Posts
223 HP at the wheels??? w/ 250 torque??? and only 5.8 sec. sprint????
How are they accomplishing these numbers?? How are they only accomplishing this time???

·
Registered
541 Posts
From the horse's mouth:

http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/

215 hp @ 5400 rpm
245 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm

These numbers are not at the wheels.

Why so much torque? It's 2.4L.
Why less than 6 seconds 0-60? It weighs less than 3,000 lbs.

This is the same engine that's going into the new PT Turbo. The commercials are already out for that one.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
In SCC it showed the pre-production car having more hp and torque at the wheels then tested at the crank!!!!!!

I think the car will be really sweet, but like I said I'm not into that kind of car. If I were to get into dragging it might be a fun car to mess with at that price, but I like the ENTIRE driving experience!! I love braking as much as I love carving up mountain roads, etc (starting to sound like a motor journalist).

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
No, they commented specifically in this article that they tested more power at the wheels than the factory was specifying at the crank. Those are WHP numbers.

Throw an LSD in that car and damn........ But it's just ugly as sin!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Clone,
That's what I am saying...the factory numbers are lower at the crank than tested at the wheels.

I think it will be a good car for the money...but not my tastes on more than one level. Man, there are a lot of nice cars out/coming out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well, if all this stuff is true, the dodge is looking to be a great little car. It finally looks like american car companies are starting to catch up with the rest of the world.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yes, as I said, SCC specifically commented that this is the first time they can think of when specified crank HP is lower than actual WHP. Of course you can figure backwards that the crank HP on that test unit was around 260 hp, figuring a 15% tranny loss. We'll see if it actually makes it to production. That's a BIG difference.

Nope, this was single wheel drive......no LSD and it must have hurt!

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Unveiling

I'm confused as to why anyone would consider a FWD over an AWD vehicle, unless you were drag racing...in which case, why consider AWD? Isn't RWD the best choice? The Neon and the WRX are for very different driving styles so I'm not sure the reasoning behind the comparison...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Snowboard,
I agree with you. That's why I said the little SRT-4 is gonna be a nice car for the money...but c'mon FWD over AWD. If you want the whole driving experience then go with the STi..if you want a little bang-for-your-buck-scream then the SRT-4..of course b/c of no lsd it is a little crippled.

I am a little confused why the preproduction numbers are so much higher than originally stated by dodge. Usually the preproduction #s are less than what makes it to production due to tweaking, etc. We'll see when this car comes out. The article also said "muffler-less exhaust." It has a cat, but I wonder if that works with noise laws....:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
youre right, but why the hell are we? Its always been easier to push than pull! I guess its a safety thing, all these people not knowing what to do when the ass comes around in a RWD car. '87 was pretty much the last year that American companies messed with RWD. Thank god I have one because a high hp turbo car and a RWD drivetrain go together nicely :D Not to productive without slicks though :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts