IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick tl;dr: Have an '02 Bugeye with an EJ20 that has ~190k on it, and both heads are cracked. Instead of looking for heads and all the costs associated with it, and still having a 190k shortblock (which Blackstone keeps saying is in spectacular shape, but thats not the point) I'm considering an EJ25 swap.

First question - is there an EJ25 turbo variant I can bolt in and use my existing EJ20 stock engine harness & ECU, sensors etc, and getting the ECU tuned to match? USDM or JDM doesn't matter, I just think it would be WAY easier to upgrade now, and honestly not cost much more money. I'd save the head gasket job costs (head set, bolts, machineshop etc.) which seems like that may damn near pay for a JDM engine alone.

IF so - what else would we need to look out for? I know the stock EJ20 turbo is small, but a lot of the JDM motors come with turbos too, don't they?

Or is this just not compatible in that way? Any and every EJ25 motor would need it's own harness (seems unlikely for as lego-like as Subarus are, but you never know)

·
pwn n00bs
18,232 Posts
You would need the appropriate wiring harnesses in order to full fill the swap + ECU.
Iwire can help out with that, good guy, he will modify your current harnesses. However, with a swap like this, he most likely needs the bulkhead harness (under the dash itself)..I could be wrong though, ask him!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why can't I use the EJ20's engine harness?

no offense dude, but when performing swaps this is the stuff you figure out on the fly somewhat. If you are smart enough to pull a motor you can figure this out. Just because both harness have a temp sensor doesnt mean they will connect to ECU etc. The good news is you should be on the same CAN BUS system, so there will be a way to make this work no matter what.

I believe after 2004 immobilizers were added (double check this). Prob not a big deal but check for that as it could be a minor road block once you start messing with different ECU etc.

The best thing you can do is set yourself up for success. If its worth doing, its worst doing right. Which probably means, get a new harness lol.

The other thing, do you really want to swap in a motor to a 200k car? or is it time to start over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no offense dude, but when performing swaps this is the stuff you figure out on the fly somewhat. If you are smart enough to pull a motor you can figure this out. Just because both harness have a temp sensor doesnt mean they will connect to ECU etc. The good news is you should be on the same CAN BUS system, so there will be a way to make this work no matter what.

I believe after 2004 immobilizers were added (double check this). Prob not a big deal but check for that as it could be a minor road block once you start messing with different ECU etc.

The best thing you can do is set yourself up for success. If its worth doing, its worst doing right. Which probably means, get a new harness lol.

The other thing, do you really want to swap in a motor to a 200k car? or is it time to start over.

I've done a LOT of engine swaps. Trying to help a budget-conscious friend. Ina lot of cars, if you're swapping from one motor to another, you usually move the harness/ecu/electronics over and go. BMW E36, M50 to S52, you swap the harness & sensors to the motor you're going to run and go. Same for a small block chevy, ford, Honda or most other cars. I haven't touched many STi motors, nor any JDM motors, so I was looking for a quick bit of advice from those who have. Maybe a 'Hey, this won't fit because x'. Not a jerkoff telling me I don't know what I'm doing. Sorry for trying to be prepared before spending thousands of somebody elses dollars.

You didn't read my post at all either. Where did I say anything about using a different ECU,. or using the sensors off the donor motor?

And the 200k car has already had a JDM Forester trans/rear diff swap, as well as a lot of other work into it. Answer the questions (and hell, read the damn questions for that matter) or don't respond.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can use the harness you just won’t have functioning AVCS like most JDM or STi engines have. I’ve done a JDM swap into a saabaru and it has been running for 4 years like the original engine. The owner isn’t exactly nice to the car either. The JDM engines even come with free TGV deletes...:tup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use the harness you just won’t have functioning AVCS like most JDM or STi engines have. I’ve done a JDM swap into a saabaru and it has been running for 4 years like the original engine. The owner isn’t exactly nice to the car either. The JDM engines even come with free TGV deletes...:tup:

So if we were to buy even a USDM EJ25 Turbo motor, like from an STi, and used stock EJ20 electronics (with a custom tune, as I stated) One way or another everything will connect, sensor ports aren't in wildly different places making me have to cut the harness apart etc? Will the EJ20 intake manifold bolt up, or should I stick to the EJ25 stuff? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless we're looking in all the wrong places, turns out an EJ25 isn't so budget conscious afterall. Seems they start around $4k, whereas an EJ20 is ~$1200.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
considered an EJ207? thing will drop right in and be plug and play aside from adding AVCS wiring (which there are tons of kits for) and swapping in the JDM ECU that any reputable importer would include with the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
considered an EJ207? thing will drop right in and be plug and play aside from adding AVCS wiring (which there are tons of kits for) and swapping in the JDM ECU that any reputable importer would include with the engine.
Interesting, I know nothing of that motor actually. Will do more research.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It was a JDM EJ205 into the Saabaru, swapped the intake manifold with the oem one and she fired right up. A 2.5 would be the same though with the exception of needing an ECU and bigger injectors than WRX ones, depends if you got a 2.5 with side or top feeds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You didn't read my post at all either. Where did I say anything about using a different ECU,. or using the sensors off the donor motor?

And the 200k car has already had a JDM Forester trans/rear diff swap, as well as a lot of other work into it. Answer the questions (and hell, read the damn questions for that matter) or don't respond.

i never said swapping sensors dude.. I said cause both harnesses have a coolant plug doesnt mean they will have the same plug into an ecu...dont get all pissy lol. I also stated you may need a different ECU, unless you can tune that one to work, and perhaps the immobilizer could be an issue. I think your the one with issues reading :lol:

Set your ego down, we all wrench here.

·
pwn n00bs
18,232 Posts
Luckily, Subaru made everything that same across the board. If you want the EJ25 to perform as it should, addition wiring is needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to do a full JDM GDB bugeye V7 EJ207 STI swap, I have one for sale. This is a complete running car in WRB. I imported it from Japan a few years ago but no longer use it. $7000 US, but the car is in Toronto, Canada. You won't be able to register it in the USA because it is RHD.

Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds :D
Actually you can register a RHD in the states when a few in Nebraska including my buddy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts