IW STi Forum banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
1st Member: 250k Mile Club
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Hahaha that is awesome, I hope myself and a lot more people have your luck.
Yes, I hope, so, too! It really is a treat to not have major issues with a vehicle. I have estimated that I have spent a total of $10,000, per year, on maintenance, fuel, tires, insurance, and registration. 30,000 miles a year, makes $0.33/mile a relative bargain!

·
Registered
75 Posts
truly an awesome milestone that has been reached here, for a turbo high performance sedan like the sti to hit 250k just about,with just some basic maintenance is awesome!

many n/a cars can hit this mileage and beyond( my dads 05 hyundai tucson258,000 miles stock motor and tranny) but i don't hear of too many turbo, high performance cars ever seeing this kind of mileage:) lets see an evo do that! haha no offense

subi luv! on my 3rd one!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Im sure hoping i will reach that much and many more, thats why i decided not to mod the engine at all

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
4k away! Will likely hit the 1/4 million mark on the way up to Kamloops, BC, (March 2nd-4th) for the last short track speedskating competition of the season. Plan is to also set new personal bests on the ice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This thread is encouraging...awesome to see the potential of these cars. You said you replaced your clutch and had about 50% life left in it and regretted doing that...what was the issue that led you to think your clutch was worn out? I've put about 12k on my '04 since purchasing it last year at 79,000 miles and I noticed a slip in 5th gear at high boost. I had been driving thru a lot of snow and slush for two days previous...can moisture get in the bellhousing easily? Also, did you have the dealer service your timing belt or was that something you did on your own?

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
This thread is encouraging...awesome to see the potential of these cars. You said you replaced your clutch and had about 50% life left in it and regretted doing that...what was the issue that led you to think your clutch was worn out? I've put about 12k on my '04 since purchasing it last year at 79,000 miles and I noticed a slip in 5th gear at high boost. I had been driving thru a lot of snow and slush for two days previous...can moisture get in the bellhousing easily? Also, did you have the dealer service your timing belt or was that something you did on your own?
I was experiencing what I thought was 'shuddering' when going up steep hills at 60 mph in 4th or 5th gear and thought maybe the clutch was slipping. I also would smell clutch odors a bit stronger than normal. My mechanic said it was a 'buster' to get the housing apart around the clutch and when he did, there was a ton of clutch dust in the bottom, otherwise, everything looked good.

The first time I had the timing belt done (98,000 miles), I chose to have it done at the dealership, as my extended warranty was good till 100k miles. That was a good move, as the tensioner pulley was in need of replacement and was covered under warranty. I had the timing belt replaced, again, by my other mechanic at 220,000 miles. I am fully capable of doing that service, myself, but for peace of mind, I chose to have a mechanic perform the service. It was, again, a wise move, as this time, the tensioner pulley AND the idler pulley were in need of replacement. Had I done the service myself, I would not have had the insight to check the idler pulley.

I also had the water pump replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
I'm at 104k and need to do my timing belt, pulleys, water pump, clutch, and flywheel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm at 104k and need to do my timing belt, pulleys, water pump, clutch, and flywheel.
Thats depressing lol nice chunk of change
not sure if anyone else had this problem but my crank pulley went at like 37k. It separated in two pieces, like the whole center came detached. Then went inward into my timing belt cover :eek: didnt hit anything though but shredded my belts. Twice before I realized it actually. First time the ac belt was broke and everything looked fine so I just figured it was just the belt. Second time both snapped so i knew something was wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! I also have an 04 STi with just over 170K on it, original everything, clutch and head gaskets are in good shape, just keeping up with maintenance.

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Is your car still all original engine components?
Yes, all original components. After all these years and miles, I finally curb rashed two wheels on the lip, drifting in a snowy parking lot--hit a curb I didn't know was there. $65 later, the alignment was fixed. Local shop can redo the powdercoat and fix the lip and get all four to mint-like condition for $200/set. No need to do that anytime, soon.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts