IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
1st Member: 250k Mile Club
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I'm at 199,680 miles on the '04.

List what you want to know about the car and I will reply.

If you desire pics, I will post to timdemerjian.blogspot.com

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have any engine problems at all??? Are you still on the stock tranny and diffs?
ENGINE:
At around 110,000 to 140,000 miles, I began to become concerned about not a "shuddering," but a "hesitancy" when going up steep hills. Driving in a lower gear where the rpm's are kept above 3500 seems to eliminate the finding. I had my mechanic replace the clutch at 142,000, but it was only worn 50%.

No codes were ever generated. I also haven't had a reflash since it had about 96,000 miles on the o.d. It would be nice if it is nothing but a reflash that needs to be done.

I have thought that it might be the fuel filter (it has never been replaced). The finding has never gotten worse in the past 90,000 miles. It seems there may be increased lag in acceleration--I came in 2nd place in the last auto-x (at 174,000 miles) last summer, but 1st place was a full 4 seconds ahead (strike that one up for driver skill, I guess).

A new finding, though, is the presence of a sulfur odor when going up steep hills, or, even now, long inclines on the Interstate. Being in a lower gear seems to aid the situation, but I don't see any point in dropping out of sixth gear on the I-5 when speeds are sustained between 65 & 75 mph.

Also, the red hose underneath the TMIC that is shaped like a "stunted-J" has black "sooty" residue on it mostly on the elbow and just to the left as if you're looking at the engine compartment from above. I have pressure-washed this twice and it takes about 2000 miles to get filthy again.

I replaced the radiator at 198,000 miles, as the crown to the right of the filler neck had longitudinal cracks that would let out a very fine flow of coolant down the front of the radiator. I think I may have done myself a disservice with the coolant, in that I never had it flushed until such time that I had the clutch replaced. I say that, because from the time I had about 30,000 miles on the car, I would notice the overflow resivoir would gradually deplete itself to where it would be empty. This was also followed by a low level in the resivoir near the turbo and somewhat in the neck of the radiator itself.

I am concerned that I may have caused a pH change in the coolant, causing erosion to the head gasket. I say that because since about 140,000 miles, I have noticed a few "bubbles" of iridescant yellow/orange "slime" in the neck of the oil filler tube. Also, when I empty an oil collector tray after an oil change, it appears there is presence of water on the bottom. It looks "emulsified," but the oil doesn't look like a mocha or milky. I have three other vehicles that I service on my own and none of them seem to have oil that is "cohesive" to the tray I use to collect the used oil.

I have never noticed any amount of condensation coming from the muffler, except for some white smoke within the first 10 seconds after starting the engine. Could just be the cool mornings???

TRANNY:
I have noticed some slippage when shifting between third and fourth when driving HOT (aggressively). I wonder if it is synch rings???

DIFFS:
Coming out of a side street or driveway with a very sharp 90-degree turn, I notice definite "binding" in the rear end. This binding is in no way to the extend of the binding you have when the DCCD is in complete LOCK or slightly open. If there is an issue, I think it has affected the throttle steering of the rear end and also its ability to allow for drifting. It seems I have less ease breaking the rear end loose so I can drift through a turn on a snowy road. Because of this, I have once drove head-on at 20 mph into a three-foot-high snow-plowed berm and have caused minimal cosmetic damage to the front bumper and have slightly altered the curve to the right-front quarter-panel, in that the plastic from the bumper doesn't mesh with the fender by about 1/8" to 1/4".

When the back end is lifted off the ground, and you turn one wheel, the other turns the same way. I am told this is not normal and will eventually lead to a "locked" differential. I was also told to keep driving it until it becomes a problem. Well, I'm still 60,000 miles later and it's not locked up yet.

We had a ton of snow up at Mt. Baker back in March, after we thought winter was gone. This gave me one more chance to play in the snow. I found the car to perform as it always has. Nothing beats drifting nearly completely sideways at 30-50 mph and wondering how close you are to rolling the car. Skidpad donuts were an ease and quite enjoyable.

I consider replacing the vehicle with another STi only so I could take the car off the road and rebuild the suspension with new struts and bushings and likely new ball joints, etc.

The rear struts have been replaced under warranty SIX times, each, and the fronts, twice, each. No replacements have been made since about 128,000 miles, so it is a bit bouncy in the rear and the strut clunk does persist.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thats awesome dude! That many miles and problems are minor subaaru quality ftw:tup:

·
Registered
813 Posts
subscribed. what parts on the car? were you the only owner? if not how many miles when u bought it? what time of maintance do you do? any advise? thanks

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Thats awesome dude! That many miles and problems are minor subaaru quality ftw:tup:
It probably lasted so long because he never did any engine mods to it(I assume)...All engine mods do is make your car faster but makes it not last as long as well(depending on the mod)....my dad keeps telling me to just drive my car and stop doing things to it, so I just do little things to it....But great job on making the car last this long....see how far you can go, you could start a high mileage record for 04 sti's.

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the car new with 2 miles on it on September 24, 2003 from Eastside Subaru. I am the original owner. I have driven all but about 1,000 miles. My wife drove the rest. She drives her 1-ton dually like I drive the STi, so needless to say, she drove the car to a 12-th place overall in an auto-x.

The memory still cracks me up!

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It probably lasted so long because he never did any engine mods to it(I assume)...you could start a high mileage record for 04 sti's.
No mods. No desire to do so. Have one life to live. Have one STi to drive. Have one marriage to experience.

So, NO mods.

The car is such a joy to drive, that 250 miles for a one-way commute isn't that bad, either.

First several weeks of ownership saw 1000 miles a week. Then the local job came which quickly took that down to 180/week.

Such a joy to drive...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
No mods. No desire to do so. Have one life to live. Have one STi to drive. Have one marriage to experience.

So, NO mods.

The car is such a joy to drive, that 250 miles for a one-way commute isn't that bad, either.

First several weeks of ownership saw 1000 miles a week. Then the local job came which quickly took that down to 180/week.

Such a joy to drive...
Man I wish I could drive my car with out worrying about putting miles on it....I even hesitate about driving 3 miles to school and 3 miles back, putting 6 miles on my car a day....Somethings wrong with me...I hope it's just a stage im going through....But seeing your car and it's mileage really puts my mind at ease knowing that it is at least possible to go that far.

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow man this is HUGE news. I love how casual you are about the fact that you're car is setting a record. :lol:
That is just about one of the best compliments I've ever received in my life.

THANKS!

I researched the 2002 WRX wagon for two years before I looked into purchasing one for myself. One day before I bought this STi, I became aware of the STi vs. the regular WRX. The choice to go BIG took very little effort. If it wasn't for the money I THOUGHT I was earning at that time, I would've kept driving my '86 Cavalier with 225,000 miles on it.

The only time I ever felt "remorse" for buying the STi was when I looked at my future paychecks. Fortunately, after two and a half years of ownership, the loan was absorbed into a home refinance at a much lower rate.

As far as the "casual," driving the car is as natural as, well, something usually experienced in private...

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We also have logged 1800 hours in 7 years on our Kubota BX-22 Sub-compact tractor.

Just for comparison, if the STi was a tractor, it would have used somewhere around 3333 hours in under 7 years.

Does that mean that's like 108,000 miles on the tractor? Thankfully, no!

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
WOOT!!! Nice to hear. 80K here and no problems.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
96k here, but almost everything on the car has been upgraded/replaced with aftermarket upgrades-Recaro seats (gotta have) that completely changed the experience, Ohlins struts (no more replacing struts), CarLabs X-brace (completely tightened the chassis), and much more chassis stiffening bits that makes the car feel solid and very connected. I get such a kick out of doing things to it and changing the experience. Then after awhile doing something else to change again. Why buy a new car?! Slap an EL header on it and it is like a whole new car!

I bought the car to drive and enjoy. And drive it I have! No regrets for the mileage. It has been a hoot!

1 - 20 of 211 Posts