IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my DP installed and my AP flashed to stage 2. I was seeing 1.4 bar(20 psi) on my blitz boost guage in 4-5-6 gears. It spiked up to 1.4 and then settle down to about 1.3 bar(18.5 psi). I knew this was too high so I reflashed with the LWG map and it is still spiking to almost 19psi in any any gear over 3rd. Right now I have the Cali LWG 91 oct running and i'm still getting getting some pretty high readings. My guess is that its time for a protune but i'm really worried that I shouldn't even be driving my car right now=[ Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think it's safe to drive your car, just be careful and don't go WOT if you are overboosting. Protune = yes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know about boost creep, these are spikes that level off when I get closer to redline. My understanding of boost creep is when it keeps boosting higher and higher the closer to redline you get because the wastegate cannot dispose of enough of the exhaust.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have the same issue except only to 1.3 bar, been like this for the last year with no ill affects, just try not to go WOT in 4,5 and 6th gears too often.... I hope to be protuned by the end of november. good luck....

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If I were you, I'd check your boost via the AP or a TARIS datalog.

Your car should be hitting boost cut at 20psi - so I have a feeling that your gauge is inaccurate.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's too high for a Cobb map. I spike at 20 psi with a Protune. Get your car tuned but as someone else said, your gauge might be off by a few psi. Use the Tari software to log your boost and check the knock count.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The Cobb stage II maps cut the boost at 22 psi not 20.

If you want to wait to get a pro tune, than send your turbo out to be ported, that usually solves the problem.

I am having a similar issues, and I am going to go the porting route. I want to add some more parts before I pro tune, but I'm a little low on scratch for the next couple of months. I'll let you know how much the process cost me, just in case you want to go that route.

Whatever you do, don't slam on the car in 5th and 6th. If you baby it, driving should not be a problem.

As many other have said, I would download ECU explorer and do some mapping. Analog boost gauges tend to be a little innacurate, and you may be bosting even higher!

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
EWG will solve all your problems :D + tune

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get the protune,I had the same problem on my 04 sti . I decided to port the wastegate myself it helped but didnt eliminate it,so Clark Turner protuned the car and adjusted the wastegate duty cycles and viola,no more boost creep. I also put down 304/328,with a APS 3" tbe on a dynojet!Car runs smoother and gets better mpg.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
ArizonaSTI said:
1.4 bar isnt 20 psi its 18.5 psi
1.4 bar = 20.3052833 pounds per square inch

OP: If it's just spiking, I wouldn't worry much about it. If I reset the ECU, I get 20 psi spikes for a day or so until the ECU learns how to keep it to a little over 18.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
20psi on the shelf map is kinda high. My defi gauge hit about 20.75psi a month after my protune, which is probably more like 19.5psi since the defi boost gauges read high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts