IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Question: I was going onto a onramp today... way too slow. I was in 4th at about 25 mph. I decided to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor (bad idea I know). Well I didn't go very fast and my car made a very weird noise. I was wondering what you guys think that was and did I harm my car?

Second Question: It's kinda related to the first question. Sometimes going up a Hill, I'm in too high of a gear (ex. going up a hill at 20 and in 3rd gear) I hear this very apparent rattling sound combined with a vibration that seems to be made by my dash. What is this (clutch? transmission?) and did it harm my car?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. But it's a brand new car and because of payments, i'm probably sticking with it for a very long time. I have a weird fear that because it's a new car and still in the break-in process whatever I do wrong now will effect my cars performance later (is this true?). I'm new to stick and I'm hoping I haven't done any harm to the car nor do I want to develop bad habits that would later hurt my car. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It sounds like you're just bogging the engine. Keep the RPMs at 1500 or higher and it won't bog so bad. If you're going up a hill downshift for example. Flooring it in 4th @ such a low speed will definitely bog it down. The noise you hear is probably chatter in the tranny/driveline. And no it doesn't hurt the car.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You are definatly driving in a high gear, bring it down a gear or two and the car will go along smoothly. Especially going up hills second usually is a good choice. Why are you driving at such high gears? If you want to stop bogging the engine just make sure you are in the right gear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ever have a 6 speed bike? Ever try to take that bike up a hill in 6th gear? Same principle :) Follow their advice and just drop it to a lower gear at those speeds.

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
your definitely just bogging it out. Shift down and enjoy the power :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
Try to get in the habit of keeping it between 1500-3K RPM's at all speeds, and just adjust the gear your in accordingly.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright thanks for the replies. so it isn't bad to bog? the sounds from question 1 and 2 are completely different. i can't really explain the sound from the first question but the second question is like a rattle/vibration. bluegold explained that it's just tranny/driveline chatter but how about the sound for the first question?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If this is the case, when you are bogging in a high gear and push the pedal down all the way you are getting boost creep. It happened to me also. Like everyone else said, down shift a gear. I was getting this pretty bad but i have some mods done so that made it even worse until i got it tuned and it went away.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Lugging the engine, bucking the drive train, and bogging can be worse on a 4 cylinder engine than over revving. These types of 4 cylinder engines love to be revved, so REVVVVV them! They have limiters to protect them from over-rev damage. Drive it like you stole it, the engine will be better for it.

I rarely drive under 4,000 rpm. The engine runs cold, and torque is always available, so there is never any bogging or hesitation.

Now, I only get 14 mpg. I live a clean life and this is my vice.

Edit: I hit red-line and hear the little alarm go off EVERY DAY. This is why I choose to drive an STI. This is not a Civic.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so the final word is that since im breaking in and i did a full throttle pull i messed up my engine?

·
Registered
34 Posts
STIskeet said:
First Question: I was going onto a onramp today... way too slow. I was in 4th at about 25 mph. I decided to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor (bad idea I know). Well I didn't go very fast and my car made a very weird noise. I was wondering what you guys think that was and did I harm my car?

Second Question: It's kinda related to the first question. Sometimes going up a Hill, I'm in too high of a gear (ex. going up a hill at 20 and in 3rd gear) I hear this very apparent rattling sound combined with a vibration that seems to be made by my dash. What is this (clutch? transmission?) and did it harm my car?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. But it's a brand new car and because of payments, i'm probably sticking with it for a very long time. I have a weird fear that because it's a new car and still in the break-in process whatever I do wrong now will effect my cars performance later (is this true?). I'm new to stick and I'm hoping I haven't done any harm to the car nor do I want to develop bad habits that would later hurt my car. Thanks in advance guys.

That "rattling sound" you are hearing is most likely engine ping / knock and is a sign that you are lugging the engine. You need to shift into a lower gear in order to prevent this. Prolonged driving in this manner will certainly have bad effects. Using low octane gasoline in your STI will provoke pinging. Hot weather will also cause engine ping / knock at low rpm with the engine under load.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts