IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone without a radio?

1. regarding bolt-on mods...the ECU will slowly "learn" itself right? So would it make it easier for the ECU if you put the mods on one at a time, as opposed to all at once...ie: put on intake, drive around for a couple days the let ECU "learn" then put on DP and drive around couple days..etc. Would this make the learning process for the ECU easier? more efficent??...

2. For everyone w/ mods in their STi's, does the dealer know about any of this? Do they agree? or do some of you just do servicing somewhere else and completely VOID the warranty? Does warranty even matter to you guys??...

Thanx for your imput!

·
Banned
54 Posts
STiLL said:
1. regarding bolt-on mods...the ECU will slowly "learn" itself right? So would it make it easier for the ECU if you put the mods on one at a time, as opposed to all at once...ie: put on intake, drive around for a couple days the let ECU "learn" then put on DP and drive around couple days..etc. Would this make the learning process for the ECU easier? more efficent??...

2. For everyone w/ mods in their STi's, does the dealer know about any of this? Do they agree? or do some of you just do servicing somewhere else and completely VOID the warranty? Does warranty even matter to you guys??...

Thanx for your imput!
1. I don't think it matters. Just reset the ECU ( disconnect Neg Batt) Let it learn what it can.
2. Certian dealers are more Mod friendly than others. Ask around in your area.
B2

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i'm not really sure...what i do know is that the dealer i bought my sti from knows little to nothing about the car...they're even afraid to change the oil! so the only time i might see the dealer is if i go see my friend that works there....a few of the salesmen have come out because the car is a bit louder...and i explained and showed them the mods and they seemed perplexed"isnt the car fast enough already?" was their input...i said yes it is very fast....but is capable of so much more....cant wait for engine management!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
salisburyv said:
i'm not really sure...what i do know is that the dealer i bought my sti from knows little to nothing about the car...they're even afraid to change the oil! so the only time i might see the dealer is if i go see my friend that works there....a few of the salesmen have come out because the car is a bit louder...and i explained and showed them the mods and they seemed perplexed"isnt the car fast enough already?" was their input...i said yes it is very fast....but is capable of so much more....cant wait for engine management!
Ya same here... they did the whole "dont use synthetic oil" and all the other myths and such said by most suby dealers. They learn a lot at the subaru academy for the STi, but they dont seem to retain important stuff. they know what engine it has, but not how to fix it and such.. that kinda thing. Yes the car is plenty fast stock, but i mean... some of us just like changing its sound!? I would get an exhaust even if it netted me 0hp. I just love that rumble. That and I like to know that I can play with vettes and such as well :D

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
STiLL said:
Well luckily, since performance shops cant wait days for each mod to reset itself, shiv at vishnu has come up with a method to reset your ecu automatically and to reset it to its full potential. That way you can fully have your ecu ready to go in 5 seocnds, rather then 5 days. If someone can post that link, taht would be great, otherwise I can get it when i get off work tonight. Good luck!

Robert~

·
Registered
316 Posts
staticx313 said:
salisburyv said:
Ya same here... they did the whole "dont use synthetic oil" and all the other myths and such said by most suby dealers.
Robert~
Hey Robert, Whats the myth about synthetic oils? I used selenia racing 10w60 in my integrale and never had any problem. Just curious. Sin52

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
No what I meant was... was that they tell that synthetic oil shouldnt be used for the car, to wait XXXXX amount of miles, etc. Which to me is kinda wierd as once you use one kind of oil (conventiail or synthetic) shouldnt you stick with it for the rest of the engine's life? So why the heck 3 - 5 - 10k miles down the road change from the conventional to synthetic? IMO if corvettes, porsches, etc come from the FACTORY with mobil 1 synthetic... then sure as heck our cars can use them near as early. Granted they might put some time on them (but what.. they do 10k miles on your corvette before you buy it and then put synthetic in it?). Even in Subaru's Sales manual about benefis of the STi over EVO was that the STi used conventional oil and the EVO used synthetic??? what kind of advantage is that? I will always use 10W30 or so Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my cars. I only waited til 1500 miles to do synthetic as I was too busy having fun in the car to stop and have it changed (i did nearly 1000+ miles in a week). I had some other point but have forgotten it now lol... well have a Merry Christmas!! :)

Robert~

·
Registered
316 Posts
Best tuning parts for '04 STI

Gotcha, I just swapped from the break in oil to mobil 1 synthetic at 3750miles. I noticed quicker revs and a little better pickup.
Happy Holidays--Sin52

1 - 10 of 10 Posts