IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the rs motor the same as the Sti?...can't u just get an RS and add a turbo and have STi figures, 300hp?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm WINGLESS, 2!! ;p

I've seen such a car, I believe it's quite common... it's called 2.5RS-T
The one I've seen used a GT35 ball-bearing, FMIC, heltec piggy back, and other goodies...
No chance against the STi.. I think that if the car had 6spd tranny, might do much better just my $0.02

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: online source for STi oil filters and crush washer?

The RS uses a different block, ours is an EJ257, not sure about the RS. Also we have variable ignition timing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the 2.5 RS is a naturally aspirated 2.5 horizontally opposed engine with 165 horse 166 torque. The STI and XT and more for 05 like legacy and Baja is "a stage 1 evolutionary change" if you want to say it this way. about 180 horse stock with variable valve timing, electronic throttle control, etc. there are a lot of differences. Plus tranny and a lot of other things. F and R limited slips.... the list goes on. Think of the RS as more of a WRX with a bigger engine and no boost.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Plus the RS is only a single overhead cam engine. Not really even close to the WRX let alone the STi. About the only thing it does have is AWD and a Subaru Impreza badge.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Re: Holy Oil Consumption!!

gforced said:
Plus the RS is only a single overhead cam engine. Not really even close to the WRX let alone the STi. About the only thing it does have is AWD and a Subaru Impreza badge.
Was about to comment on that. . . . makes a pretty big difference not having DOHC.

·
Registered
575 Posts
but in 1998 they had DOHC but they said they got more power out of a SOHC motor and better reliability :) who knows anymore

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
OM3GA said:
...I think that if the car had 6spd tranny, might do much better just my $0.02
Wouldn't the extra shift cost you in terms of time?

·
Registered
195 Posts
for starters...
forged rods
hypereutectic pistons
stregnthened block with cast in main journals
better heads
sodium filled valves
hollow lightweight cams
variable valve control
semi-closed deck
new rod bushing material
upgraded big-end bearing material
tapered piston pin boss

I know theres more but this is off the top of my head, and these are just the internal differnces! look here for info on the new with the STi

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/Temp/{80a9b4fb-3791-4c0a-acee-a1c19325f3ba}/WRX%20STi%20Core%20Techrev3181.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
HELP! HID INSTALL!!

I've seen such a car, I believe it's quite common... it's called 2.5RS-T
The one I've seen used a GT35 ball-bearing, FMIC, heltec piggy back, and other goodies...
No chance against the STi.. I think that if the car had 6spd tranny, might do much better just my $0.02
I can say you are wrong about the fact that the RST is not as fast as the STi. Having owned a damn fast RST and now the STi, I'd day donw low, my RST would eat my STi. Up top no chance. MyRST was running 12 psi of boost and put down more torque to the wheels than the stock STi. About 30 lbs feet more at about the same RPM. Where things change is how the STi holds the torque closer to the redline. Plus a higher rev limit to match. My old RST was a beast. The only down side was the fact I was limited on power and hard launches with the stock tranny. I also spent a friggin mint in engine internals to make damn sure it did't blow up. Forged pistons, rods, o-ringed deck, the best engine management etc. The RST I owned would tick of a 12.8 in the quarter no problem, and that's with pump gas and 12 psi of boost and a crappy 60 ft time and granny shifting. Power to wieght ratio was awsome. This was with the GC body platform too. The car was just lighter than the STi. WHP was 212 and 240 tq. Tuned by Shiv on his dyno in Pleasanton. Three times and over 14 miles of dyno miles. There isn't a STi out there that laid down that much torque to the wheels on Shiv's dyno in stock form. But the STi is a MUCH more refined drive. Better brakes by far and as far as handling, I liked the GC better. The STi feels larger and less tossable than the RST. That may be me just getting used to the heavier body of the STi. All in all both were/are awsome cars. I will miss her and at least she has a loving home.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
ok

Holy god thats a good lookin' car!! I have always loved the GC8 coupe bodystyle. I think it blows both the GDB bodystyles outta tha water. I think the 22B is the sweetest looking car based on a japanese econobox platform ever made(cept maybe the tommi mak evo). The STI we got still looks better than the evolution we got though. Neither compares to the various GC8 or Evo 5 & 6 bodystyles though. My opinion of course. :wink: Peace!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts