IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
The next STi will be FA20/Hybrid. It will have a bump in power, but is really playing to the 2-step crowd. It will have a sub 4-second 0-60.

Registered

Registered
I dont really care much for CVTs honestly. but I understand their point.

Would be a shame for the STi to lose its manual option. I know manuals can be done on hybrids, but it makes much more sense for it to be CVT/Auto

Registered
either way the 2019/2020 STI is going to be a sweet ride.....It would not surprise me that there are supplemental electric motors on the rear wheels, as there is a video of an interview with an STI engineer in Japan where he stated that it would be better to use electric motors with a turbo 4 so that the horsepower output of the engine itself is kept reasonable for reliability and the electric motors supply the extra power....

it really would be the easiest way for them to do it and it would probably be 400+ total combined output horsepower and then of course the traditional mods to the engine could be done most likely, as they will probably design it with that STI owner tradition in mind.

I think the big hint of what they are building the current platform to support is with the green brake rotors...which typically accompanies cars that have electric motor drive on the wheels. Needless to say an STI set up this way would be incredibly fast.

lurking Subaru whore
^ which means it will probably lose its manual option
Which would be a bag of ****.
I Heard FWD FA20 with electric RWD?
My brand loyalty that stems from many years of their great mechanical, Symmetrical AWD would be spat on if they go with a band-aid electric AWD that uses FWD ICE with electric motor RWD.

**** that ****, I'd drop the brand if they go forward with something like that. :tdown:

Registered

My brand loyalty that stems from many years of their great mechanical, Symmetrical AWD would be spat on if they go with a band-aid electric AWD that uses FWD ICE with electric motor RWD.

**** that ****, I'd drop the brand if they go forward with something like that. :tdown:

And I am with you on this. Unlike the fanboys I think the above will be the end of Subaru for me.

Registered
I dont think this 2.4 is the next STI engine, its far more likely that this is the workhorse engine for the next gen outbacks, crosstreks, and as we already know the Ascent. I dont think this is engineered to be the High performance flagship engine. It has a timing chain instead of a belt which is good for durability in a heavy family hauler. At the end of the day its not much horsepower for even the Ascent in the class it is in. I just dont see how this engine would be cost effective to put in the STI, and bump it up to horsepower levels that would appeal to the STI buyers, the vast majority of which would want to have AT LEAST as much power as the STI comes with now.

The EJ already makes 305 horsepower, and the 2.4 in the Ascent is at 266, which to me seems to be kinda on the low side for the size and class the Ascent is in, and subaru is still investing and developing the EJ as they have retuned it for the 2018's and are producing an upgraded EJ in the 2018 Type RA STI with stronger pistons, and performance tuned ECU. My guess is they are going to keep the EJ and design a new Intake manifold with a combo of port and direct injection since this is the direction that the industry is going with high performance engines. I just dont see them putting a 2.4 when they already have a very very successful 2.5 that is already making more power and can be modded to make MUCH more and that they are still investing in and developing in the STI platform.

Registered

I think if they did it, it would be an option package and not standard equipment, and would probably add 5000 to the price of the car, but it would be much faster than the standard STI's even if the standard STI's got a base engine iupgrade to 350 horsepower since the dual elextric motor options would probably put over 400 horsepower to the wheels. All speculation but its probably that any elextric motor drivetrain upgrades would be optional.

lurking Subaru whore
I dont think this 2.4 is the next STI engine, its far more likely that this is the workhorse engine for the next gen outbacks, crosstreks, and as we already know the Ascent. I dont think this is engineered to be the High performance flagship engine. It has a timing chain instead of a belt which is good for durability in a heavy family hauler. At the end of the day its not much horsepower for even the Ascent in the class it is in. I just dont see how this engine would be cost effective to put in the STI, and bump it up to horsepower levels that would appeal to the STI buyers, the vast majority of which would want to have AT LEAST as much power as the STI comes with now.

The EJ already makes 305 horsepower, and the 2.4 in the Ascent is at 266, which to me seems to be kinda on the low side for the size and class the Ascent is in, and subaru is still investing and developing the EJ as they have retuned it for the 2018's and are producing an upgraded EJ in the 2018 Type RA STI with stronger pistons, and performance tuned ECU. My guess is they are going to keep the EJ and design a new Intake manifold with a combo of port and direct injection since this is the direction that the industry is going with high performance engines. I just dont see them putting a 2.4 when they already have a very very successful 2.5 that is already making more power and can be modded to make MUCH more and that they are still investing in and developing in the STI platform.
There's a good, but not high chance, that next WRX STI will get a 2.4L DIT. Differentiating the WRX from the WRX STI is something that may be improved upon with a slightly-larger displacement engine.

This 2.4L direct-injection twin-scroll turbocharged flat-4 engine will likely replace the naturally-aspirated EZ36. No, it probably won't find itself in a Subaru XV, but rather the same offerings the EZ36 is offered as a top-of-the-line engine; the Legacy and Outback.

Literally every new Subaru engine except the WRX STI's EJ257 or EJ207 have a timing chain. This includes the EZ, FB, and FA engines.

Sadly, the power is very much low compared to the rest of the class. Despite the same issue with the Subaru XV (aka Subaru Crosstrek or Subaru XV Crosstrek), they sell very well. I would still want to see Subaru enter a challenger in the full-size crossover horsepower wars that the current-generation, unibody Ford Explorer has led with their 365HP direct-injection twin-turbo 3.5L V6. At least this new 3-row Subaru crossover has more-useful towing capabilities (5000 lbs capacity for Ascent, 3000 lbs capacity for Tribeca).

I would be extremely surprised if Subaru keeps the EJ engine platform alive after the 2020 model year. Considering the current Subaru product cycle, we will get the 5th generation WRX STI at that model year.

Also, STI isn't a platform, it's an in-house tune shop. The current VA-chassis WRX STI is obviously based on the 4th generation Impreza platform, it has never truly been a fully-dedicated separate platform despite the different chassis code.

Registered
There's a good, but not high chance, that next WRX STI will get a 2.4L DIT. Differentiating the WRX from the WRX STI is something that may be improved upon with a slightly-larger displacement engine.

This 2.4L direct-injection twin-scroll turbocharged flat-4 engine will likely replace the naturally-aspirated EZ36. No, it probably won't find itself in a Subaru XV, but rather the same offerings the EZ36 is offered as a top-of-the-line engine; the Legacy and Outback.

Literally every new Subaru engine except the WRX STI's EJ257 or EJ207 have a timing chain. This includes the EZ, FB, and FA engines.

Sadly, the power is very much low compared to the rest of the class. Despite the same issue with the Subaru XV (aka Subaru Crosstrek or Subaru XV Crosstrek), they sell very well. I would still want to see Subaru enter a challenger in the full-size crossover horsepower wars that the current-generation, unibody Ford Explorer has led with their 365HP direct-injection twin-turbo 3.5L V6. At least this new 3-row Subaru crossover has more-useful towing capabilities (5000 lbs capacity for Ascent, 3000 lbs capacity for Tribeca).

I would be extremely surprised if Subaru keeps the EJ engine platform alive after the 2020 model year. Considering the current Subaru product cycle, we will get the 5th generation WRX STI at that model year.

Also, STI isn't a platform, it's an in-house tune shop. The current VA-chassis WRX STI is obviously based on the 4th generation Impreza platform, it has never truly been a fully-dedicated separate platform despite the different chassis code.
Interesting to see what they will do, that 2.4 would be great in the crosstrek, don't know that the outback needs a turbo, it's not really that underpowered, so I bet it keeps it's 2.5 base engine, and maybe the 2.4 becomes the option?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts