IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: OZ Racing Wheels etc

Hello,

I live in canada and i am realy looking forward to getting one Sti for myself..
but i have a few questions. My main question is that i know that the North American Model is the 2.5L Turbo and the Global version is the 2.0L Turbo. What i would like to know is what is the reason for them using the 2.5L in north america and what are the main tech differences in the the engines, also which would you recommend.....

Would i be better off buying the Canadian version STI or the WRX and then doing after market performance upgrades to it.... Which engine would be able to handle more power with less strain on the engine.

So basically which way should i approch it?

Thanks
ALex

·
Registered
311 Posts
It would be much much cheaper just to buy the CDM version. Importing a car is very very expensive.

I think the main difference is because we have much stricter emmision control laws here than they do in Japan. They added the bigger power plant to help compensate for the added catalitic converters and such. Plus our gas is da shits. It contains much more sulfur and radom stuff I don't know. Anyway, don't take it from me, listen to the wiser OLDer peple on the forum ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know part of the reason that the rest of the world's STi's are 2.0L is that they are staying closer to the WRC rules on engine size, where 2L is max.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Slightly Larger Rear Bar?

hmm... i never knew that. Of course if they change stuff around much more (i heard the absurd idea of banning turbo somewhere :-? ) they would have to move to larger engines. Of course, then it wouldnt be rally :p

You figure since we have a larger engine we could but more boost than most in ours?

·
Registered
251 Posts
windmill said:
I know part of the reason that the rest of the world's STi's are 2.0L is that they are staying closer to the WRC rules on engine size, where 2L is max.
The more important other reason is that Japan has a tax on engine displacement over 2.0L. Kinda like our gas guzzler tax or luxury tax, but much more nasty.

Don't even think about modding a WRX into an STi. It'll cost you a fortune, and it still won't measure up. I spent $$$ transforming my GC8 into an STi. It's very good, but the STi is better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ignition question

I was thinking of buying a 2.5RS in a year or two and adding the sti turbo/intercooler (or an aftermarket one)

I wouldn't be worried about the tranny/suspension to begin with, but I figure I could do this for around $30k Cdn vs $50k for the sTI...

anyone got any links or wanna give me a quick run-down as I'm sure this has been discussed before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2.5L is because of US regulations restricting the power of the 2.0L too much.

I live in New Zealand, where we get the Japanese version of the WRX STI (206KW, 394NM or in US speak, 280HP and 290lb ft). The 2.0L engine is apparently more advanced than the 2.5L engine, but on the face of it, it looks like the 2.5L has most of the smarts (e.g. VVT, forged pistons). One feature of the Japanese WRX is an 8000rpm redline - not sure what the 2.5L redline is. The 2.0L version is boosted to 17psi, whereas I believe the US is only running around 14.5psi.

The Japanese spec WRX is listed as 0-62mph in 4.9s, although in reality this is more like 5.1s.

You have to be careful with the 2.0L version depending on what country you are in - for example in Australia and UK, the 2.0L only makes 261HP and 253lb ft.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
mac said:
I was thinking of buying a 2.5RS in a year or two and adding the sti turbo/intercooler (or an aftermarket one)

I wouldn't be worried about the tranny/suspension to begin with, but I figure I could do this for around $30k Cdn vs $50k for the sTI...

anyone got any links or wanna give me a quick run-down as I'm sure this has been discussed before.
What are you performance goals with this plan? Keep in mind that although you'd have the same displacement, you don't have the same engine as the STi, such as forged internals and a semi-closed deck. You might as well mod a regular WRX which can handle boost and well, already comes with an intercooler. Know that if you try to attain the STi's performance you will end up spending more money for an inferior car performance-wise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are looking to import a 2.0L, import the STI Spec C. This is a lighter version of the Japanese STI (100kg less), and is obviously much quicker (0-62 in about 4.5s).

Also I have heard that a new STI 22B is to be released!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts