IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Let me be the first to apply my expert opinion. One advantage of the 2.5L engine over the 2.0L engine is that the 2.5L engine has an extra half liter of displacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
chawklit said:
...the 2.5L engine has an extra half liter of displacement.
deep. very deep.. 8)

i think in the past some have said that it is easier (emissions-wise) to achieve 300 blown hp with a bigger engine. it might also be easier for us to see 400hp with a few mods. wouldn't that be cool?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,816 Posts
B/c the engine is larger there is more room for power. If you take a 500cc or .5L engine and modify it you're not going to get 200 hp out of it as easily as a 2.0L. The extra .5L gives room for more power.

It was probably done b/c it is also easier to get 300hp out of a 2.5L than a 2.0L and still pass emissions.
 

·
Drive True
Joined
·
6,833 Posts
bigger = more power???

hmmm i guess that makes sense :lol:

I also read in here somewhere that there is less turbo lag with larger displacement but I don't recall why. And I'm too lazy too look it up. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know the 2.5 should theoretically make more power. I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What I meant was.. is there any documentation or experience with modding the 2.5? IE: Will the 2.5 be able to hold together under insane HP as well as the 2.0 has done elsewhere?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,816 Posts
Re: Brits abroad

No..there is no history behind this engine.

However, it should do as well, or better, than the EJ20 in previous STis. The reason being is the semi-closed block, forged pictons, etc, etc. The internals look up to snuff for mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
After having talked to my Subie rep, I think that the 2.5 in the STi is almost the same block as the standard 2.5 they use in everything else besides the few modifications made with the closed deck and all. This will be the first to have the Active valve timing also which is a very kool upgrade. The 2.5 that they use in everything else has been a great motor! The biggest benefit, and probably the biggest reason they decided to use it in the STi, is that it has Great "low-end" torque numbers. It pushes much harder at low RPM's than the 2.0. That plus the 6 speed tranny should actually blow our minds... It's gonna be fun. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
murley said:
This will be the first to have the Active valve timing also which is a very kool upgrade.
Just to clarify, this is the first USDM car to have the AVCS. JDM versions have been using it for a while, including the naturally aspirated engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
91TB78 said:
No..there is no history behind this engine.

However, it should do as well, or better, than the EJ20 in previous STis. The reason being is the semi-closed block, forged pictons, etc, etc. The internals look up to snuff for mods.
Oh ok, I hadn't realized that they had made internal upgrades to the motor (don't know what I was thinking!). :lol: That sounds good, though. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
murley said:
After having talked to my Subie rep, I think that the 2.5 in the STi is almost the same block as the standard 2.5 they use in everything else besides the few modifications made with the closed deck and all. This will be the first to have the Active valve timing also which is a very kool upgrade. The 2.5 that they use in everything else has been a great motor! The biggest benefit, and probably the biggest reason they decided to use it in the STi, is that it has Great "low-end" torque numbers. It pushes much harder at low RPM's than the 2.0. That plus the 6 speed tranny should actually blow our minds... It's gonna be fun. :)
VVT will be very nice! None of my cars have it, yet, ( :roll: ) so I am looking forward to finally getting one with it! :D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top