IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2016 STI completely stock. I want to start modifications soon, but knowing that the engine is temperamental I want to do this correct.

Anyone have a list of mods I should start with before getting into turbos, blocks, etc.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
First you need to decide on how far you want to take this. What are your power goals?

Most people start off with simple intake and cobb tune. Then later upgrade the downpipe and other parts and get the car protuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vision is to have around 650 hp to wheels.
I'll start looking for those upgrades. Any preference?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well 650whp is alot, you will definetly need a forged built block and headwork. The car isnt going to be a reliable daily driver at that point pushing all that power.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Search for user1029’s guide on how to modify. I wish I had found that before I started with my build. It would have helped me tremendously at the time and some decisions would have been very different. It provides a rock solid path and will help identify what you need and how to get there step by step by making the right decisions early on. His car is a GR but the path and mods will still be the same for you.

If you are serious about 650whp and want it to be reliable, for the engine, just plan on buying an IAG longblock 900 and contact them to list out all the supporting mods you will need. Take the cost of the longblock and times 2 at a minimum, depending on how much you plan to do yourself. If a shop will do it for you, it will probably be closer to x3.

You can probably do it cheaper but not if you want it to be reliable.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts
Users thread is useful, hes done it right and had his car for years at high power. In total hes probably got over a hundred 100K into is car. Hes also a good example as it was his DD for years.

and see these current posts

good info

more

it can be done - not so many do at 650 you are at the level of replace all things -

Reactions: Jay11STI

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
User1029's journal is a prime example of how to do it right the first time. One piece of advice, have 1 shop do everything from start to finish.

Here is some more info to help you really understand whats involved here

·
Registered
94 Posts
Going to spend more then the car is worth. It will never be reliable. There will be a lot of downtime. You will have to keep the car for a decade or sell at a big loss...Is it worth it for bragging rights of a certain hp?

This isn't the platform for that kind of power. Used GTR/TTRS/RS3 would be a better choice. You can get those cars in the 9's in the 1/4 with a tune and a few bolt on's(No opening engine) and stay reliable for daily.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah really leaning into grabbing one. The 5cyl has lamborghini/R8 trickle down tech. Keep the STI for winter duty, it's hard to let go rowing your own gears.

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts
Bbbbb u u u ut the I can do a whole 500AWHP build on a new STI for the base cost of the RS (withoughthe options youd want)

Then does the the intake, intercooler, and DP and e cost as much than a Subie build?

I'll admit it does sound nice . . .

but it's got no space and only 2 doors, it's mileage is similar to an STi (not that I would care much) - - and that was on slicks . . . .anyway at that price you can consider an M2 and other cars . . . it is at least AWD.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Used, not brand new. Would never void warranty unless it's a paid car and have throw away money. The RS3 is a 4 door TTRS for 10k less.

The subie build is a project indeed. 500whp and 650whp are big differences too for an STI. For the 5cyl it's a case of beer and a few bolt on's done in the driveway.

Feelsbad taking over OP's post.

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts
Th TTRS goes from 400 crank to 650AWHP with the few bolt-ons? Thats literally doubling its power.

Cost?

Couse if your modding used more so if building, but same with the STI. Brings the cost under 30K to start with a recent car and not too high mileage - for the body and interior . . .

TTRS, they givin used ones away? OK I'll take one :) - - - - unless

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Youre not understanding this right. The bolt on in your driveway is for 500whp(560 highest reported so far) the 650whp from OP.

Why twist it. Said I would keep the STI for winter if I leaned into grabbing a 5cyl.

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts
Not twisting it, actually will consider. I was asking about the need for a winter car with the RS. I need or will need a newer car - and I don't live in Canada. There has only been one day in the last 10 years were could not have made any car do winter duty. However I have my doubts. We owned an Audi and had terrible experience. Was one a only a few cars we just wanted out of. New, the competition is obviously an M2 though it is RWD.

Just looked through a few used ones on line. Still 20K more than a similar STI and I can do the build for that much I'd probably either more. It's an option, but probably one I wont do. I do a lot of my own work I trust from experience IAG bocks, and know Subarus better. I somewhat follow the idea that better the Devil you know too . . .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ahh right on if it’s not real winter rock the M2. It is competition but it’s pricey. And the M2 Needs engine work to hit 9’s. Throw a tune with fuel change and hit 500whp in the rs3 if you want to do bare minimum. New I’d say the Amg A45 is it’s closest competitor but no idea on its price and there are no used 2018 models to save $ on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i chased the reliability parts first, some of them yielded gains...killer b everything (oiling, headers, AOS), larger/more efficient radiator, upgraded all bushings to urethane, brought all maintenance up to date, better brake system, suspension, drive it a little to make sure nothings broken then go for power...i had EGR fail in the middle of all this on mine and did protune to delete CEL...have seen several posts that this is a reliability thing too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts