IW STi Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So in the end..... Should I be alright with just a pitch stop?? or must anything need to be done?

·
Registered
152 Posts
You are right. I apologize - (and I was apologizing before I wrote the following)

What you were saying - that making all the other mounts stiffer will reduce motion/travel/ distance of firewall flex is correct. the firewall force is only as much as the firewall pushes back for a given travel. So if the firewall acts like a spring, the forces there will be less. Less flex, less force. This is because a weak firewall flexes moves, it is not resisting until it has flexed. What this means is that the pitchstop is not sharing the load due to the system geometry, but solely to the the amount it flexes.

OP: take note ! :)
Hey It’s all good. (y)

Drummerboy, I love that double entendre, "don't look at them in isolation."
I really didn’t intend on that, but good catch! And yes, stiffer bushings usually lead to NVH. The trick is finding a balance, and I find the Group Ns to be the balance... it’s more on the comfort side still for me though... I wouldn’t mind some more NVH haha. In the end it’s usually all personal preference.

So in the end..... Should I be alright with just a pitch stop?? or must anything need to be done?
As many said, if you do one do all just to make sure. They may have beefed up the welds/area at the firewall since 2015/2016, but maybe not, so why chance it? Besides, you’ll get the most out of the upgrade doing all since it is a mounting system. If you don’t want to, then have at it, and report back in a few months so we know how those 2019s are ... good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
If you are concerned about your firewall then do all mounts together to limit travel - which will limit force at the firewall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW, I have a 19 and added a Cusco trans mount + Torque Solutions pitch stop brace when I did my pitch stop mount (also Torque Solutions). Not yet installed, but I also have the stiffer Cusco engine mounts as well.

I read that the 17+ models have increased mount thickness and welding, but late STI also have seemingly softer engine/trans bushings, so extra movement didn’t sound great. I stopped reading the previous posts, but more engine movement is potentially more tugging on this mount, and this gen’s engine really likes to move under torque: so I went with the added parts for safety.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts