IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 sti only has 10k miles on it and I’m getting 2nd gear grind from the 1-2 upshift. Never happens on a downshift. After I let the tranny warm up for a bit it’s better but 2nd is still way more notchy and rough than all the others. When the grind happens it’s usually towards the end of the throw. Took it to the dealer all I got was that they couldn’t replicate. I had the tranny flushed at 7k because I hated the way oem fluid shifted. Any advice?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Did a dealer do the flush or?

Could be synchro or shift fork. Do a test drive with them and replicate it yourself. I've done test drives with my past dealer and it was a not proper, about a 5 minute drive and they call it quits.

Te tranny can hold power but it's still fragile in different ways. The dealer can't open them up it has to be a full replacement aswell.

Best of luck. Nothing worse then problems on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Where are you? Because mine did this as well (19STI 11K miles). I was told it's normal in cold temperatures. It has warmed up here in Michigan and it went away. So.... you may have no issue at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,028 Posts
Every manual car i've owned has had the 1-2 shift grind at some point, more noticeable when the engine/tranny is cold. If it is a grind where it still goes into gear but has a little feedback, it's 9 times out of 10 a syncro issue. If it refuses to go into gear or requires extra force, need to have the tranny inspected.

My 02 RSX still has the grind and has since I've owned it (5 years now) but it drives just fine. Unless you want to tear down the tranny and get new syncros installed, watch how you shift when cold then enjoy when it warms up

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Never heard of an STI that had a grind up-shifting from first to second that didn't have an issue.
But the simplest issue is people not shifting into the correct location.Otherwise I does sound llike a synchro problem, and didn't SOA have synchro issues not so long ago?

Dealers cant repair a trans? Other shops can, and some do it well!. Sounds very very strange to me. That said it will cost you $2K to have the synchros replaced by one . . .

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are a few reasons. A brand new unit does not cost much more then repairing one. There's more risk having it repaired inhouse and more time spent. Customers don't want a refurb trans on their new car if it's warranty work. Subaru keeps the old one to study, analyze, and recoup cost.

Still wondering about who did the flush and what fluid was used. It could turn a warranty claim into a denial.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I've got a 2019 STI bought brand new last fall. Once winter hit here in MI during cold temperature the shifting felt very notchy & grinds into 2nd gear & during WOT 1-2nd gear pull I would miss 2nd gear during up-shift. A full-transmission flush done at 7,500 miles 3 months ago. I used Motul Gear 300 75W-90.
Now that it is warm here in MI the shifting feels very much smoother and the 1-2nd upshift during WOT happens rarely now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts