IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
whoa 19's, are those monsters gonna even fit without some fender rolling??

Oh yeah this really should be in the exterior forum, cuz there is no way those are gonna do nething positive to the handling of your STi :p

Neways post pics when your done, haven't seen a STi with 19's yet. Should be interesting

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scuba_Steve said:
19's and you still need spacers? What is the width and offset? What size rubber? That's gonna look weird IMO.:lol:
Maybe not too sure, I got a sweet deal so if they don't fit well I will sell them. The brembo calipers may causes some issues.
19 * 8 with 35 offset 225/35/19

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wewu said:
whoa 19's, are those monsters gonna even fit without some fender rolling??

Oh yeah this really should be in the exterior forum, cuz there is no way those are gonna do nething positive to the handling of your STi :p

Neways post pics when your done, haven't seen a STi with 19's yet. Should be interesting
We will have to see, I think it should be fine, I had 19" on my RSX no problems. The STi has lots of room.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Invisiguard said:
Dont forget your neon underbody lights and chrome LED exhaust tip :roll:
What does the neon underbody lights and chrome led exhaust tip have to do with anything?

I think you have been playing too much need for speed underground.
LOL :lol:

Sorry not my style.

·
Registered
240 Posts
what? bigger not better? i thought you would only decrease ride quality - but the majority seems to think handling would suffer?
have you guys seen the "ichibahn" car on the cover of super street with 20" rims?

so you guys think you could outcorner him with your 17" rims?!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Transporter_STi said:
Invisiguard said:
What does the neon underbody lights and chrome led exhaust tip have to do with anything?

Sorry not my style.
Uhh, well I guess you didnt get it. What Im tryin to say is 19" blings might have been popular with your old Honda/Acura crowd but most STi owners will just laugh at you, dont do it! :(

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Transporter_STi said:
The brembo calipers may causes some issues.
It's comments like that that scare me sometimes...... :roll: Did you do any research into whether these were a proper fit for the car?

The Brembos are the MAIN issue that people have to overcome in order to get a wheel to fit properly. Offset is one thing, the spoke shape is another. Offset simply changes the placement of the wheel in the wheelwell laterally. +35 on an 8" wheel???? Your offset should be going higher as the wheel gets wider unless you like the roller skate look. And in our case, offset still means nothing as for whether the giant Brembos will shave the inside of your spokes off.

Just for reference, this is the P1 size that Prodrive recommends for the STi specifically.

Available sizes: 18” X 7.5”
WRX Colors: Anthracite, Gold, Silver, Crystal Titanium
STi Colors: Crystal Titanium, Rally Gold
Fitment Specs:
Bolt Pattern: 5 X 100mm
Center Bore: 64mm
Offset: 18” ET53mm
+46mm offset for STi

A 46 vs. a 53 is needed to move the wheel face outward and clear the calipers. But, go too much lower of an offset and you'll have half of the wheel sitting outside of the fenderwell AND depending on the shape of the spoke, you still might not have cleared the calipers! Now take into account that you have an extra 1/2" of wheel hanging out vs. these P1s....yikes.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
rallybred said:
what? bigger not better? i thought you would only decrease ride quality - but the majority seems to think handling would suffer?
have you guys seen the "ichibahn" car on the cover of super street with 20" rims?

so you guys think you could outcorner him with your 17" rims?!!!!
Depending on the tire type, having less sidewall doesn't mean as much as it used to. With regular all seasons, a lower profile makes a huge difference, yes...but when you get into tires with sidewalls like the RE070 and Azenis, there is no difference at all in lateral stability of the wheel/tire assembly plus having the extra sidewall to flex in at mounting allows a higher series tire.

·
Registered
240 Posts
okay, so you all agree that this car:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/toc/

was built for bling and does not handle? (wrc bumper and widebody fenders with custom made 20" Boyd rims, coil overs)
everyone agree with wgknestrick that he can pull higher numbers on a skidpad or slalom with his 17" rims?

not trying to start an arguement, just genuinely curious. any suspension engineer types out there want to explain to me how this is possible?

i'm all for the dirt, but since my black beauty is my first new car ever (32 yrs old) i thought i would keep the tarmac setup (and improve).

wanted 19" and was ready for the crappy ride if it really stuck in the curves, when cost is figured, probably more likely to get 18" rims.
so am i wasting my time (and money) by looking at bigger diameter wheels? and why?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
These guys are in Miami

No argument seen at all.....I like good discussions like this.

I don't think you can make a direct correlation between wheel/tire profile ratio and cornering ability. You see evidence for both sides so there really isn't a cut and dry correlation.

First case....feel the sidewall on our RE070s or Azenis...thats as stiff as you get. Is it as stiff as an aluminum wheel....probably not BUT the tire has been designed so that any roll over actually benefits the traction. Look at tirerack.com and browse through the sizes of Hooser and Kuhmo competition tires.....for a 205-225 width, you never see lower than a 45 profile. That says to me that in a mass production mode, you will get the best handling charateristics out of a properly designed, higher profile tire. This kinda makes sense when you also talk about sway bars vs. spring rates and the direction of the forces being placed on the contact patch. (We can get into that too if that doesn't ring a bell.)

At the same time, look at the sidewalls on the WRC cars in a tarmac rally.....those are some low profile tires! I'm going to guess since we don't see these types of setups in SCCA-type competition that this type of tire is a high dollar, high tech deal. But again, being contradictory, look at F1 tires....why so high profile? Is that an FIA mandate? I don't know....

Off the topic, I am also going for a tarmac type setup with my STi in street setup. I'll have 18" P1s here in the spring which will force me to a lower profile tire. I'm pretty sure Azenis won't come in that size so I'll have to go to a performance tire that will work and trade in some handling for that 'look'. At the same time, I'll have Kuhmo Victoracers on my Rota Tarmacs for a racing setup.....when it really does matter how much you get out of your tires. I'm just to the point where the street is the street.....you aren't racing out there to the peak of tire ability and if you are....you probably shouldn't be! You ask if you are wasting your money going to a larger wheel....the question is your reasoning for that. Are you going to a larger wheel for handling reasons only or are you going for a style? I'm going to it for style reasons only....I love the WRC tarmac look. If I was going for handling only, I'd stick with the lightest, widest 17" I could find that would fit AND one that would allow an R compound tire to be fitted.

That's seriously unorganized....but I'm just typing as I reason along with ya......

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Invisiguard said:
Transporter_STi said:
Invisiguard said:

Sorry not my style.
Uhh, well I guess you didnt get it. What Im tryin to say is 19" blings might have been popular with your old Honda/Acura crowd but most STi owners will just laugh at you, dont do it! :(
I am going to be test fitting them, if they don't fit my buddie will take them off my hands. So it's not a bog deal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CloNeGTS said:
Transporter_STi said:
The brembo calipers may causes some issues.
It's comments like that that scare me sometimes...... :roll: Did you do any research into whether these were a proper fit for the car?

The Brembos are the MAIN issue that people have to overcome in order to get a wheel to fit properly. Offset is one thing, the spoke shape is another. Offset simply changes the placement of the wheel in the wheelwell laterally. +35 on an 8" wheel???? Your offset should be going higher as the wheel gets wider unless you like the roller skate look. And in our case, offset still means nothing as for whether the giant Brembos will shave the inside of your spokes off.

Just for reference, this is the P1 size that Prodrive recommends for the STi specifically.

Available sizes: 18” X 7.5”
WRX Colors: Anthracite, Gold, Silver, Crystal Titanium
STi Colors: Crystal Titanium, Rally Gold
Fitment Specs:
Bolt Pattern: 5 X 100mm
Center Bore: 64mm
Offset: 18” ET53mm
+46mm offset for STi

A 46 vs. a 53 is needed to move the wheel face outward and clear the calipers. But, go too much lower of an offset and you'll have half of the wheel sitting outside of the fenderwell AND depending on the shape of the spoke, you still might not have cleared the calipers! Now take into account that you have an extra 1/2" of wheel hanging out vs. these P1s....yikes.
I understand what you are saying, the only thing I am concered about is my brembo calipers fitting. I have a friend with the G35 he had to uses spacers to make it fit. I picked them up for a really good deal so if they don't fit I can sell or my buddie can take them off my hands. So it really doesn't matter to me.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
A friend of mine recieved a pic of a STi with 19" wheels, i dont remember what they were. I will see if he has still got the pics and get him to email them to me.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yea, the only thing I could think of when this came up was this:

Those are fat sidewalls.... my guess is they don't hinder performance.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
[quote="Transporter_STi]

I understand what you are saying, the only thing I am concered about is my brembo calipers fitting. I have a friend with the G35 he had to uses spacers to make it fit. [/quote]

Everything I just said was related to the calipers...... :roll: And yes, using spacers will get you to clear the calipers, but the offset you purchased is already leaving way too much wheel outside of the fenderwell.

And we won't get into why spacers are an extreme no-no...you don't seem too interested in what is the correct way to fit wheels without trying to break your suspension.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts