IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I called Direct Tire in Watertown to schedule an alignment for my 05 STi and I asked what would be the price for the alignment. They asked if my car is lowered or not and I say, yes.

Well, they said it's $150 for lowered cars. They also said it's PITA to put a lowered car on the rack and they found out that it takes them longer to do it now. I was like, WTF??? $150 for an alignment on a lowered car? The only thing I want them to adjust is the toe to 0 all around and put as much as negetive camber as possible on a otherwise stock suspension with GF210 springs.

Now, there's noway I'm going to pay $150 for an alignment. These specs I give them is simple and easy to do. Nothing special about it. It's not like I'm asking them to corner weight my car or any other special things, I just feel that this is a big ripe off.

Don't get me wrong, Direct Tire is a awsome place. They do good work. I have had an alignment before and it was awsome, but at the same time, it didn't cost me $150 that time.

Also, I make an appointment with Townfair Tires to do the alignment and over the phone I mention to them that I want my own spec and not the factory specs on the alignment. They said, ok come on down.

When I got there, the sales guy said they will not do a custom alignment and only follow what the factory specs. This is their company policy. I really think that is bunch on bull on this. How hard it is to do the specs that the customer want??? I thought ain't businesses are catered towards what the custome wants within a reasonable doubt?

Well, I will never give my business to Townfair Tire for sure. They are like the worst.

Here's a solution I found. There's a place in Brookline called Alignment Specailty, Co. right on Brookline ave. The part that I have found to my liking is the fact that they don't use alignment machines to do the job. Everything is done by hand gauges on a electronicless alignment rack. I was blown away by the fact that there are still shops that do alignments by hand and not by machines. They seem to be very dedicated to alignments only. Check this out, they also do wheel balancing while the wheels are still on the car and the best part is that they are charging me not the $150 but, 100 bucks for the alignment.

I'm sure to pay $100 for a hand alignment. I'm so happy that I can find a shop that will do whatever specs I want and not have to pay a fortune for it.

I just want to vent out on this quest to find a good alignment place around the Boston area for people like us. :D

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
good to know dave! i went to sullivan tire for an alignment 2 months ago. they charged me $90 for the same specs you wanted. it was a good price, but it wasn't a hand done alignment and i'm not sure how good it is. i think i'll go to alignment specialty next time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin, the people at that shop I mention seem to be very cool and they do a good job. Check them out next time.

Here's the address for them: 654 Brookline Ave, Brookline.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
cool! thanks dave.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How is a alignment done by hand better than an electronic machine alignment? Isnt a machine more accurate? Less room for error?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I have been hearing from people that die-hard autox, they always mention about hand alignment is much better then the machines.

If I remember correctly, I read in Grassroot Motorsports about doing alignment by hand tools only and people loves it.

I will let you know soon how the hand alignment against machine feels like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
alignment

I don't post much, but this thread as struck a peeve of mine. I run an alignment shop. We charge extra for alignments on some modified vehicles it depends on the difficulty of the alignment. As for hand gauges vs computerized we use mostly hand gauges. Both can give you a good alignment the difference always comes down to who is doing it. Consider this a tech who is using hand gauges really needs to know what he is doing, a computerized machine could almost be operated by a trained monkey as it tells the tech exactly what to do, right or wrong. We have interviewed techs who have been doing alignments on one of these machines who didn't even have a good understanding of what the angles mean and what their effect on the vehicle is.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I did my alignment at XXTuning for $80. They did it by hand too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
by hand? meaning using camber alingment tools, car needs to be perfectly level and all that. Machine or computerized alignment would be more accurate no matter how you look at it. I actually supervise the guy doing the work as he is not familiar with our camber bolts especially for the rear ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts