IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at this for a couple years now. I finally decided what the hell lets do it. Some one has to try it sooner or later. Everyone says just buy the dam-d or prova-d but the 15+ controls and wheel just look so much better. So here we go. I got a good deal on a 2017 steering wheel hub with controls on ebay it showed up 2 days ago. I can confirm the splines do not match the 8-14's. So now it takes a little creative thinking. Originally i thought maybe buy a few adapters and cut and splice them together. Then maybe just cut the hub out of the new wheel and then weld in the hub from the correct wheel. Then it was see if the spline is pressed in maybe we could press it out and swap. None of these ideas seemed ideal. Then today while perusing ebay i found a 15-18 sti steering column for $40. I know the 15+ steering rack is a popular drop in option for the gr models so i figure they have to be similar in size and dimensions. I'm going to see if i can just swap the entire column in, i'll also be doing the 15+ rack once i find a used one. If it absolutely wont work it looks like the shaft itself is pressed in. I may try and press the shaft out and then press it in to the 2011 shaft on my car. The column is set to be delivered on the july 30. So now we wait.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mini update. 15+ column arrived early. I haven't been over to the shop to see what shape its in yet. But i got thinking yesterday it would be a shame to pull the column out of my car leaving me unable to drive it while i try this out and also put me in a position where if i damage it i'd need a new column. So i went back to trusty ebay. Purchased a 2011-2014 sti steering column for $30. So once that shows up ill be able to do a side by side comparison and see what the next step will be. Whether its just a swap or something a little more creative/destructive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Minor setback. The 2011 steering column i scored on ebay mysteriously disappeared or was "lost in the move" I'm assuming the fact that they had it priced at $35 when everyone else was selling them at $100+ had nothing to do with it. So i'm back to scouring ebay for a better deal. With my power build snowballing in to a bigger and bigger project the steering wheel swap has been thrown on the backburner a little bit. Til i can find a good deal on the column and the air bag assembly for the 2017 wheel hub this may slow a bit. If anyone has a hook up with a wrecking yard or a subaru dealership hit me up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha. I'll get it rolling. If i don't find a steal of a deal in the next couple days i'll bite the bullet and just pay the higher price on that 2011 column by friday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Life has been hectic. Between selling my house and suing some sob that screwed me over i haven't had many spare moments. Couldn't score quite as good of a deal on the 08-14 steering column. But decided i'd waited long enough. Ordered one with all the brackets on it and it came with a bare key. Figured i could always use a few extra parts for down the road. $80 later and its headed my way. Expected delivery 8/20. Still on the look out for a 15+ steering rack and the 15+ airbag assembly. I know the later will be next to impossible to pick up used but i'm beginning to give up hope i'll find the former either. Oh well. I'll keep holding out hope.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
08-14 column is in. And we’re back to square one. Kind of. 15+ column is maybe half and inch off where the 8-14 column is mounted. So it’s possible you could make a bracket to just do the entire column swap. There is still the possibility that the top half of the column where the spline is could be pressed out and swapped. But the biggest problem we’ve run in to is the clock spring and sensor. They are completely different between the model years. So we’ve settled back to the let’s swap the actual hub of the steering wheel out. If we can somehow either cut and swap hubs or cut and shave the them both and use the 8-14 as a bracket to hold the old clock spring we will be in business. Back to eBay. 08-15 sti steering wheel here we come. I’ll try and post some pics of what I’m talking about. It doesn’t seem to like them straight from my iPhone. It keeps telling my they’re too big.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2011 Steering wheel ordered. It should be here in 3-4 days. We'll start mocking up a bracket once we get it cut up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. So a bunch of shit has come up in my personal life, baby, new house yaddy yaddy yadda. So the build has taken a back seat. But im mostly back at it at this point. After looking at all my options, i tried pressing out the splined collar from the steering wheel. Didn't work well. It's cast aluminum so cutting and welding wasn't a good idea. We tried removing the post from the end of the steering column to see if we could just swap those out. Didn't really work. So at this point it would seem our final and best option is just swapping the entire steering column out. It will take some custom bolt spots on the frame. But that's better than having a cut and welded steering wheel brake off on me while on the freeway. I'll try and get some pictures with what the final install looks like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts